In Defense of Chopped Liver

Roberta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 03:34 pm

Thanks, Bethie. I think there was a more specific recipe somewhere else (Hebonics thread?), but that will do.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 04:33 pm
Roberta wrote:
I rarely order chopped liver in a deli. Good but not good enough. (I make da best!)

That's a bold statement, and I may just ask you to prove it someday. Meanwhile, your recipe is a good starting point. (Thanks for the link, ehBeth!)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 04:46 pm
a chop liver plate with some very fatty corned beef on rye with a nice horse radsish mustard wouldnt be so bad. Also, you want a soda ?
You should drink only Dr Browns CEL_RAY soda. Now that youre in North Jersey, the stuff is all over the place. Nice and cold with chips.

ALmost as good as bbq pork ribs(not quite)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 04:49 pm
Cel_Ray soda? I think Dagmaraka mentioned it way back in my Iselin, NJ thread. I didn't get around to trying it yet, but I will. As I said in the BEER thread, Chesterfield Ale was a good tip. So you're in my good book for good judgment of drinks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 04:52 pm
Chopped liver is GREY?????!!!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

What's schmaltz?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 04:52 pm
Roberta, I think I remember another recipe from you but couldn't find it either. Looked in the Deli (or was it Delis) thread. Not only did I not find the other chopped liver recipe, now I want to cook another brisket. (94 this week, but Thursday it'll be 97. What am I thinking?)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 05:34 pm
for dlowan :

Quote:
schmaltz: Chicken fat. Although it sounds corny, schmaltz is used instead of butter for cooking in kosher meat dishes.

it probablly comes from the german SCHMALZ - but that's LARD - OY VAY Shocked
hbg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 06:06 pm
dlowan wrote:

Liver is rich in some iron compound, not sure which, that is naturally red, or rosy. When you expose it to oxygen, the iron oxidizes, and the rosy color turns into grey. This does no harm in any way, except aesthetically. (That is also the reason for schmaltz on chopped liver and liver patee. It insulates the liver from the oxygen in the air, keeping the surface rosy until you eat it.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 06:10 pm
Roberta wrote:
Another btw, AVOID COFFEE OF ANY KIND IN KOSHER DELIS. Too late now. But you'll know better next time.

Come to think of it -- why? Why does kosher coffee have to be undrinkable? And is there any kosher alternative to coffee that can be drunk, and perhaps even enjoyed?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 06:23 pm
thomas wrote :

Quote:
Come to think of it -- why? Why does kosher coffee have to be undrinkable? And is there any kosher alternative to coffee that can be drunk, and perhaps even enjoyed?

didn't they have kosher beer in the deli ? there is plenty available , such as :

http://www.jewishcooking.org/images/beer.jpg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 08:12 pm
Kosher beer? Maybe I'm just prejudiced and narrowminded, but somehow this sounds very, very wrong to me. And no, they didn't offer any in this particular deli.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 08:15 pm
Did you by chance think there would be a dairy product in your coffee beverage?

When you go kosher, you have to decide in advance if you're going meat or dairy and go with a restaurant based on that. The line will not be crossed.

I can't recommend too many desserts that can be found at a kosher restaurant that serves meat - other than fruit.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 08:31 pm
Well, they did serve chopped liver and cheese cake. The cheesecake was okay, though not great, so on the face of it, they did cross the line. Could the cheese cake have been made from some soy pseudo-dairy? I don't think it was, based on the taste, but it would also explain part of the taste of the coffee.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 08:36 pm
If it was a true kosher restaurant, that cheesecake would've been soy- or some other non-dairy base. Some soy cheesecake can be quite cheese-cakey - some, not so much.

Gotta read those menus carefully.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 08:41 pm
The "milk" in the "coffee" was clearly advertised as soy milk. But with the cheese cake, I didn't notice any weasel words like "cheese product cake" or the like.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 08:43 pm
The day I learned about the dangers of non-dairy desserts that should be dairy.

(man, that memory has stuck with me)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 11:02 pm
Thomas, You gotta trust us on this. Forget about dessert and coffee at a kosher deli. What kind of dessert are you gonna get that doesn't have any butter in it? Feh pooh. My family used to have a meal at a kosher deli and dessert and coffee elsewhere.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 06:33 am
Roberta wrote:
As for the gefulte fish, fuggedaboutit. The last good piece I had was made by my grandmother. I've been searching ever since she died. If you find a good one, please let me know where. Grandma made the horseradish too. Strong enough to curl your hair and bring a tear to your eye.

I love gefilte fish and am probably not as discerning about it as you are, Roberta. I even like the stuff they sell in glass jars in the market.

I think we had some thread about this a while ago-- I was living in Baltimore and the highlight of the city was an organization called The Associated which served Kosher lunches ($5, buffet style) Monday through Thursday. They'd serve homemade gelfilte fish, which definitely was better than the jarred variety.

They also had the halvah dipped in dark chocolate among other things (my goy friends were unable to relate to this delicacy, come to think of it, the gefilte baffled them too).

And, At least once a week they'd serve--what else?--Chinese food.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 06:37 am
dlowan wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

What's schmaltz?

Darn, I'm sorry I missed being able to answer this one dlowan-- you know from Jane Austen like I know from shmaltz.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 06:48 am
Just found this thread. A liver thread. Excellent Thomas.
I always keep liver in my freezer. Sauteed, pate'ed, deep fried, with onions, braised liver, liver sausage, duck liver......I enjoy it occasionally.
0 Replies