Obama Wants to Expand Faith Based Programs

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 03:34 am
Quote:

Quote:
He planned to talk bluntly about the genesis of his Christian faith in his work as a community organizer in Chicago, and its importance to him now.

"In time, I came to see faith as being both a personal commitment to Christ and a commitment to my community; that while I could sit in church and pray all I want, I wouldn't be fulfilling God's will unless I went out and did the Lord's work," he was to say.

Doing the lord's work? That is a great attribute for the clergy, but scary stuff when people are considering him for the presidency.

Link to story

I thought that we would be past this nonsense when Bush was out of office. Now Obama is talking about giving tax money to religious groups, and allowing them to hire based on a person's religion.

I can draw one of two conclusions. Either Obama is simply a masterful politician who is looking to siphon off some votes from the religious right, or...........................he really doesn't give a rat's ass about the separation of church and state. Either way, the whole thing stinks, IMO.

I have made it my business not to become involved in the political threads, but this really pisses me off! Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,689 • Replies: 34
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 04:09 am
I cant help thinking its political positioning in order to attract votes.

Does the end justify the means in this case? Only time will tell.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 05:14 am
dadpad wrote:
I cant help thinking its political positioning in order to attract votes.

Does the end justify the means in this case? Only time will tell.

Maybe so, but what happens when the evangelicals want to call in their chips? One of Obama's big talking points is that of inclusion of ALL people. His stand on faith based programs flies in the face of what he says. Or is he, like many, many other politicians, just saying what some people want to hear?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 06:21 am
The hypocracy of the left is quite apparent considering they slammed Bush (as they should) for suggesting the same thing.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 06:22 am
Faith based groups are part of the all inclusive "all"?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 06:26 am
McGentrix wrote:

Then where is the "CHANGE" OB is talking about?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 06:29 am
So Obama and McSame are the third Bush term, eh.

I guess Obama can stomach it if he doesn't have to visit a mosque.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 06:37 am
McGentrix wrote:

But of course. But there is no reason that a particular religious group has the right to get citizens' tax money in order to push their brand of faith. That should be done privately, through private contributions.

What really pisses me off, is the part where a person can be chosen or rejected for a job based on their faith. In the majority of other circumstances, this would be considered discrimination, and illegal.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 06:52 am
vote early
vote often
vote Kucinich.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 06:56 am
I am really enjoying watching this new, clean, sincere, non self serving version of politics unfold.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:24 am
For what it's worth; this could very well cancel my intended vote for Obama. really depends on how it shakes out.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:45 am
dyslexia wrote:
For what it's worth; this could very well cancel my intended vote for Obama. really depends on how it shakes out.

If I could vote in your elections, and this were true, it would be a potential "I can't vote for this guy" thing....

But in a two horse contest, I would be unable to vote for Mc Cain, and so would likely reluctantly still vote for Obama despite this.

I think it is a very bad thing, if he truly intends to do it, and if it isn't more smear stuff.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:17 am
dlowan wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

If I could vote in your elections, and this were true, it would be a potential "I can't vote for this guy" thing....

But in a two horse contest, I would be unable to vote for Mc Cain, and so would likely reluctantly still vote for Obama despite this.

I think it is a very bad thing, if he truly intends to do it, and if it isn't more smear stuff.
I'm inclined to think it is not more smear stuff but rather just simple pandering.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:54 am
I think you, my fellow lefties, are overreacting on this.

A big part of Obama's appeal is his skilled political leadership, especially his ability to mix progressive values with middle of the road beliefs. This is a very good thing in a president.

For the record, I am a moderate on this issue. I have seen faith based organizations, from Catholic charities to the Friends to Evangelical groups do very good things (often with public help).

But the point here is that this is something that many Americans believe is useful and meaningful. If it can be done in a way that answers the concerns-- is a knee-jerk refusal really the right thing.

I believe that Obama is sincere. He is a long time person of faith.

If you don't buy this position... at least consider this.

What is at stake in this election is a woman's right to choose (with a precariously divided court), the need to restore basic civil rights, a war that needs to end and foreign policy that needs to include diplomacy again.

Is the faith issue really worth it, considering everything else that is at stake?

If you really think it is, there is always Nader.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:59 am
And... just to point out...

I find Obama's unwillingness to take a strong stance on telecom immunity far more disappointing (and suspect that this is much more of a pander than the faith issue is).
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:00 am
Obama to scrap Bush's faith-based office
What the facts about Obama's proposal? ---BBBSecond, federal dollars that go directly to churches, temples and mosques can only be used on secular programs. And we'll also ensure that taxpayer dollars only go to those programs that actually work."

The Obama campaign released plans saying his new President's Council for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, working within the White House, "will work to engage faith-based organizations and help them abide by the principles that federal funds cannot be used to proselytize, that they should not discriminate in providing their services, and they should be held to the same standards of accountability as other federal grant recipients."

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:30 am
dyslexia wrote:
really depends on how it shakes out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:01 am
Quote:

Anyone who knows the history over the centuries of countries, who had "partnerships" with religion, surely knows the results of that sort of merger.

Religion belongs in church, in the home, and in private gatherings. IMO, it has no place in government.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:02 am
dyslexia wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:04 am
Thanks, BBB.

Here's Obama's whole speech (wish I could get out to Zanesville to see it -- invitation-only though):

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/us/politics/01obama-text.html
0 Replies