Obama must also be a scumbag and a phony - proof!

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:20 am
Obama's Long March

"To be clear: Barack will support a filibuster of any bill that includes retroactive immunity for telecommunications companies." -- Obama spokesman Bill Burton, Oct. 24, 2007

WASHINGTON -- That was then: Democratic primaries to be won, netroot lefties to be seduced. With all that (and Hillary Clinton) out of the way, Obama now says he'll vote in favor of the new FISA bill that gives the telecom companies blanket immunity for post-9/11 eavesdropping.

Back then, in the yesteryear of primary season, he thoroughly trashed the North American Free Trade Agreement, pledging to force a renegotiation, take "the hammer" to Canada and Mexico, and threaten unilateral abrogation.

Today, the hammer is holstered. Obama calls his previous NAFTA rhetoric "overheated" and essentially endorses what one of his senior economic advisers privately told the Canadians: The anti-trade stuff was nothing more than populist posturing.

Nor is there much left of his primary season pledge to meet "without preconditions" with Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. There will be "preparations," you see, which are being spun by his aides into the functional equivalent of preconditions.

Obama's long march to the center has begun.

And why not? What's the downside? He won't lose the left, or even mainstream Democrats. They won't stay home on Nov. 4. The anti-Bush, anti-Republican sentiment is simply too strong. Election Day is their day of revenge -- for the Florida recount, for Swift-boating, for all the injuries, real and imagined, dealt out by Republicans over the last eight years.

Normally, flip-flopping presidential candidates have to worry about the press. Not Obama. After all, this is a press corps that heard his grandiloquent Philadelphia speech -- designed to rationalize why "I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown my white grandmother" -- then wiped away a tear and hailed him as the second coming of Abraham Lincoln. Three months later, with Wright disowned, grandma embraced and the great "race speech" now inoperative, not a word of reconsideration is heard from his media acolytes.

Worry about the press? His FISA flip-flop elicited a few grumbles from lefty bloggers, but hardly a murmur from the mainstream press. Remember his pledge to stick to public financing? Now flush with cash, he is the first general-election candidate since Watergate to opt out. Some goo-goo clean-government types chided him, but the mainstream editorialists who for years had been railing against private financing as hopelessly corrupt and corrupting, evinced only the mildest of disappointment.

Indeed, The New York Times expressed a sympathetic understanding of Obama's about-face by buying his preposterous claim that it was a pre-emptive attack on McCain's 527 independent expenditure groups -- notwithstanding the fact that (a) as Politico's Jonathan Martin notes, "there are no serious anti-Obama 527s in existence nor are there any immediate plans to create such a group" and (b) the only independent ad of any consequence now running in the entire country is an AFSCME-MoveOn.org co-production savaging McCain.

True, Obama's U-turn on public financing was not done for ideological reasons, it was done for Willie Sutton reasons: That's where the money is. It nonetheless betrayed a principle that so many in the press claimed to hold dear.

As public financing is not a principle dear to me, I am hardly dismayed by Obama's abandonment of it. Nor am I disappointed in the least by his other calculated and cynical repositionings. I have never had any illusions about Obama. I merely note with amazement that his media swooners seem to accept his every policy reversal with an equanimity unseen since the Daily Worker would change the party line overnight -- switching sides in World War II, for example -- whenever the wind from Moscow changed direction.

The truth about Obama is uncomplicated. He is just a politician (though of unusual skill and ambition). The man who dared say it plainly is the man who knows Obama all too well. "He does what politicians do," explained Jeremiah Wright.

When it's time to throw campaign finance reform, telecom accountability, NAFTA renegotiation or Jeremiah Wright overboard, Obama is not sentimental. He does not hesitate. He tosses lustily.

Why, the man even tossed his own grandmother overboard back in Philadelphia -- only to haul her back on deck now that her services are needed. Yesterday, granny was the moral equivalent of the raving Reverend Wright. Today, she is a featured prop in Obama's fuzzy-wuzzy get-to-know-me national TV ad.

Not a flinch. Not a flicker. Not a hint of shame. By the time he's finished, Obama will have made the Clintons look scrupulous.

Looks like McCain doesn't have the monopoly on the flip flopping as some had thought. I look forward to the replies avoiding the topic by slandering the auther, me, Republicans in general and the attacks on McCain instead of dealing with the topic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,256 • Replies: 18
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:31 am
Barack Gaffes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:36 am
Re: Obama must also be a scumbag and a phony - proof!
Charles Krauthammer wrote:
Normally, flip-flopping presidential candidates have to worry about the press. Not Obama.

This from a guy who writes a column for the Washington Post that is syndicated in over 150 newspapers. The press doesn't criticize Obama? Then what the hell is Krauthammer doing?

McGentrix wrote:
Looks like McCain doesn't have the monopoly on the flip flopping as some had thought. I look forward to the replies avoiding the topic by slandering the auther, me, Republicans in general and the attacks on McCain instead of dealing with the topic.

To anticipate your reply, read this.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:37 am
BBB
John McCain was born with three testicles. His mother told him not to worry. It made him a super patriot. All men with three testicles admire John McCain.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:39 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Here's an issue on which it is easy to disagree with Obama: Statement of Barack Obama supporting Hoyer FISA bill. Glenn Greenwald says it best:
    Telling Americans that we have to give up basic constitutional rights -- and allow rampant lawbreaking -- if we want to save ourselves from "the grave threats we face" sounds awfully familiar. He says he will work to remove amnesty from the bill, but once that fails, will vote for the "compromise." Obama has obviously calculated that sacrificing the rule of law and the Fourth Amendment is a worthwhile price to pay to bolster his standing a tiny bit in a couple of swing states.
Obama's cave-in on telecom immunity is especially bewildering because: (1) it is directly contrary to his previous position on this issue; and (2) in political terms, it's completely unnecessary. Bill Foster's victory in the IL-14 special congressional election shows that Democratic candidates can win even if they oppose the Bush administration's vision of a limitless war on terror. Indeed, with Bush hovering around 30 percent in popularity polls, staking out a position opposite that of the administration's would seem to be a no-brainer. Why congressional Democrats like Pelosi, Reid, Hoyer, and now Obama have taken this craven, cowardly position in favor of presidential law-breaking is, to me, as inexplicable as it is inexcusable.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:44 am
Top Obama Flip-Flops

1. Special interests In January, the Obama campaign described union contributions to the campaigns of Clinton and John Edwards as "special interest" money. Obama changed his tune as he began gathering his own union endorsements. He now refers respectfully to unions as the representatives of "working people" and says he is "thrilled" by their support.

2. Public financing Obama replied "yes" in September 2007 when asked if he would agree to public financing of the presidential election if his GOP opponent did the same. Obama has now attached several conditions to such an agreement, including regulating spending by outside groups. His spokesman says the candidate never committed himself on the matter.

3. The Cuba embargo In January 2004, Obama said it was time "to end the embargo with Cuba" because it had "utterly failed in the effort to overthrow Castro." Speaking to a Cuban American audience in Miami in August 2007, he said he would not "take off the embargo" as president because it is "an important inducement for change."

4. Illegal immigration In a March 2004 questionnaire, Obama was asked if the government should "crack down on businesses that hire illegal immigrants." He replied "Oppose." In a Jan. 31, 2008, televised debate, he said that "we do have to crack down on those employers that are taking advantage of the situation."

5. Decriminalization of marijuana While running for the U.S. Senate in January 2004, Obama told Illinois college students that he supported eliminating criminal penalties for marijuana use. In the Oct. 30, 2007, presidential debate, he joined other Democratic candidates in opposing the decriminalization of marijuana.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:51 am
Long list of Obama's lies.

You'll have to read them for yourself as there are far too many for a c&p.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 10:33 am
BBB
Oh, oh, I just heard some moaning. It seems that McG has grown a fourth testicle.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 01:39 pm
this thread should be made a "featured topic" for it demonstrates the epitome of ak2 infantilism.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 01:58 pm
I agree that bbb has really set a pall about the place, but the rest of the content has a place in adult conversation.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 03:05 pm
neither candidate has earned or deserves my vote and neither will get it. God Bless America.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 03:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I agree that bbb has really set a pall about the place, but the rest of the content has a place in adult conversation.
Then, why are you here?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:30 pm
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Then, why are you here?

Currently, wondering why you feel the need to be such a idiot all the time. If you don't like the thread, stay the hell out. Otherwise I want equal representation for my candidate.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:40 pm
Perplexed in Omaha
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
John McCain was born with three testicles. His mother told him not to worry. It made him a super patriot. All men with three testicles admire John McCain.

BBB

BBB, I only have the normal two, but my arouser is enormous when aroused - who should I admire?

signed, Bob in Omaha
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:43 pm
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Then, why are you here?

Currently, wondering why you feel the need to be such a idiot all the time. If you don't like the thread, stay the hell out. Otherwise I want equal representation for my candidate.
good on you, perhaps you will post some of the merits offered by McCain rather than continue the tripe you are most noted for posting.
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:52 pm
Surely none of you are old enough to vote. You don't act like it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 08:55 pm
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Then, why are you here?

good on you, perhaps you will post some of the merits offered by McCain rather than continue the tripe you are most noted for posting.

Tripe? Nah, the truth is out there dys. Stop being afraid to see it. Obama is just another politician, and some need to see that for themselves.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:09 am
http://cagle.com/working/080701/asay.gif
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:54 am
I hope this thread will quickly fade out and die. No one and no candidate is completely free of defects or completely beyond criticism. However, to dedicate a thread to the malicious opinions of various haters and to dress it up as factual proof of anything is beneath the usual standards of serious, decent people.

Lets let the scurrilous personal attacks continue to originate mainly from the ranks of the small-minded and hate-filled types such as BBB. Let them continue their poisionous obsessions among themselves and others of a similar disposition. Why should anyone wish to imitate them? I can assure you it won't either deter or change the minds of those who infest these threads with this petty BS.
0 Replies