Sauce for Indian Kebabs

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 03:29 am
OK, ok. Not ground chick peas, not graham flour.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 03:32 am
Besan (Gram Flour) is an important ingredient used in the Indian delicacies in every house and hotel. sweets are largely made-up of Besan, this is the reason why its consumption is constantly Increasing. For obtaining Besan, the `Chana' pulses are used, which is grinded in pulverizer. However, Besan could also be obtained through traditional flour-mill but for obtaining quality product, it is necessary that pulses must be grinded in pulveriser.

<from the web>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 04:18 am
Chana pulses? huh?

Oh... lentils.
http://www.kiritfoodproducts.com/dal-pilses.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 06:51 am
Channa daal, I know that one. Still, my cocktail pakoras are an Indian/Canadian crossover. There are TONS of great Indian groceries here, I just still get a tad confused on terminology sometimes. This is all good info!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 05:14 pm
Aren't the Indian groceries here fab, cav? Very Happy Another reason to love this town.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:35 am
margo wrote:
Long weekend coming up - perhaps a chance to try these!

Where do I send the samples!?

Where do you send the samples? Margo I'm hurt. It is my thread.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:11 am
but i put my hand up first!

s'ok though. I went to a vietnamese sandwich place on friday on my way home, and had scrumptious vermicilli with bbq pork. mmmmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmm
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 01:10 pm
no samples, team!
I didn't shop until late yesterday afternoon (Monday), so absolutely no cooking got done over the weekend.

Did read a week's supply of newspapers, though! Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 02:19 pm
lot of good that does us Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 06:18 am
No one tried these Sad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 06:22 am
I don't have to try them. As a chef, I can read a recipe and know exactly what it's going to taste like before I cook it, and this is a good one, I can tell. Come on people, I've been busy, someone try it out. You won't be disappointed. Wink
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 06:32 am
cavfancier wrote:
I don't have to try them. As a chef, I can read a recipe and know exactly what it's going to taste like before I cook it

So everytime u feel like eating something exotic, you just read a cookbook ? Shocked
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 07:12 am
Nah, I improvise. Laughing However, cookbooks are always good to have around, for inspiration, but the recipes don't always go 'by the book' for me, please. I forgot to mention that I do adjust as I go. Otherwise, I really wouldn't be a good chef, would I? Any chef that claims they never look at cookbooks are lying, trust me. Who do you think bought most of the copies of the El Bulli cookbook?

http://egullet.com/?pg=ARTICLE-dayonelbulli
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 03:38 am
I agree with u cav - most of my recipies are from cookbooks and as and when I cook, I use them - but always improvising !!! Thats the fun !!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 02:59 am
Gautam, my compliments, this is excellent, tried it saturday night I'm ready to try any other recipes you want to post.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:19 am
Cool Kev !!! Am glad you liked them - what all did you cook ?
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:22 am
Gautam wrote:
And the kebabs to go with the chutney !! You can deep fry them as well instead of roasting them if u want a high fat content. I make this dish by substituting raw bananas for chicken since I am a veggie, but it tastes just as good.!!

Chicken Breast Pieces(boneless) 400 gms.
Ginger Garlic Paste 1 1/2 tsps.
Salt to taste
Green Chillies (chopped) 4
Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp.
Oil 100 ml
Gram Flour 100 gms.
Eggs 4
Coriander Leaves 1/2 bunch
Butter 1 tablespoon

1. Cut chicken breast pieces into two-inch cubes. Wash and marinate with ginger garlic paste, salt, chopped green chillies and garam masala powder.
2. In a pan heat one teaspoon of oil and roast the gram flour till you get a nice aroma. Spread on a tabletop and cool.
3. To the gram flour add two eggs and mix well. Add chicken and rest it for two hours.
4. Separate two yolks and add salt and coriander leaves and whisk slightly.
5. In a pan melt butter and lightly toss the chicken pieces taking care that they do not get cooked.
6. Now skewer the chicken pieces and roast in a moderately hot tandoor or grill.
7. Once the chicken is cooked coat the chicken with the egg yolk mixture and cook for few more minutes in the grill.

This is the one I'm talking about Gautam, this is not a word that you find in the dictionary, but it was scrumdiddleyumptious.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:48 am
Gautam, I did a working lunch for my dad the other day which was mostly veggie, to entertain some clients from Egypt, all cold stuff. He forgot to mention that the clients were Muslim, and I had deglazed my sauteed vegetables with some Vermouth. Laughing It wasn't really a problem in the end. One salad I made that was really tasty was a mixed wild rice salad (Lundberg Wild Blend, long grain brown rice, sweet brown rice, wild rice, Wehani and Black Japonica, those last two I think they invented, they are the rice kings!) with roasted pecans, black grapes, sliced to look like pizza olives, and a fresh sage vinaigrette. Very fall, and delicious. I saved some extra for myself. Smile
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:01 am
mmmmmmmm cav, that sounds great !!

I gotta try this, but I will also ass some soft cheese and coated in red chilli powder (u get a mild one as well) and toss in some roasted peanuts as well...black grapes instead of olves sound interesting....

kev, did you have it with the green chutney ? did you fry them or roast them ?
0 Replies