Sauce for Indian Kebabs

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 02:59 pm
Turmeric was my second guess, of course. Without a little bowl of it here, it's hard to say...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 03:21 pm
G -- about the black cumin seed, roasted... do you roast it yourself and then it turns black? The cumin seed I've got is tan-colored.

Well, I thought I ought to look around a bit. This seemed like a good website -- does this seem right?

Spice Dictionary
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:54 am
I know that yellow sauce kind of thingy that kev is talking abt - I have no idea what it is. I am sure abt only one thing, it is NOT something we Indians eat.

Margo, Kebabs orginaly come from the North Eastern part of the Indian subcontinent - afghanistan/pakistan/Kashmir borders. The middle eastern kebabs are slightly different from the Indian ones - Indians tend to deep fry the meat more often than roast/bake it - which I believe is the way ME kebabs are made.

Indians tend to eat kebabs with a even more hot corriander chutney along with spiced and sliced onions. I can give u a recipie if you want.

Piffka - take a flat cast iron pan (what we call as tawa) - heat it to a high temp and roast the cummin seeds on it till they start turning slightly black (take care not to burn them Smile )

A man who can give cooking tips - does that make me even more desirable ?? Smile)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:54 am
More desirable?
I don't it's possible. :wink: you already are all that <<snaps fingers>>

So this yellow-green sauce for kebabs is some sort of Brit take-away thing?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:01 am
<In best sports fan voice>

Post! Post! Post! Post!

Gautam, I would love to see the chutney recipe. Me da is doing a lot of work in India, and once in a while I cook dinner, and he has grown very fond of 'real' Indian cuisine. Also, I love to learn. I've done fine so far, but one can never learn enough. Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:20 am
Margo gave me a super mango chutney, the best I've ever had.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:31 am
cav - watch this space !!

ehBeth - u r right, this is one of those "british" Indian concoctions...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:26 am
Gautam wrote:

Piffka - take a flat cast iron pan (what we call as tawa) - heat it to a high temp and roast the cummin seeds on it till they start turning slightly black (take care not to burn them Smile )

Thanks... I think I could do this... and those stories about me burning food? Hardly any of 'em are true.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:16 pm
Piffka wrote:
Gautam wrote:

Thanks... I think I could do this... and those stories about me burning food? Hardly any of 'em are true.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:25 am
All this talk abt Green tomatoes made me realize that I havent given the recipie for a green chutney to go with kebabs....

Coriander Leaves 1 cup
Mint Leaves 1 cup
Green Chillies (chopped) 1 tbsp
Yogurt 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
Garlic 1 tbsp
Peanuts 1/2 cup
Lemon Juice 1 tbsp
Ginger (chopped) 1 tsp
Tamarind Paste 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

1. Mix cumin seeds, garlic, peanuts, lemon juice, yogurt, green chillies, salt, coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger, tamarind paste and a little water.

2. Blend together in a blender and serve.

You can make it as hot or mild as you like by varying the amount of green chillies you put in.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:31 am
And the kebabs to go with the chutney !! You can deep fry them as well instead of roasting them if u want a high fat content. I make this dish by substituting raw bananas for chicken since I am a veggie, but it tastes just as good.!!

Chicken Breast Pieces(boneless) 400 gms.
Ginger Garlic Paste 1 1/2 tsps.
Salt to taste
Green Chillies (chopped) 4
Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp.
Oil 100 ml
Gram Flour 100 gms.
Eggs 4
Coriander Leaves 1/2 bunch
Butter 1 tablespoon

1. Cut chicken breast pieces into two-inch cubes. Wash and marinate with ginger garlic paste, salt, chopped green chillies and garam masala powder.
2. In a pan heat one teaspoon of oil and roast the gram flour till you get a nice aroma. Spread on a tabletop and cool.
3. To the gram flour add two eggs and mix well. Add chicken and rest it for two hours.
4. Separate two yolks and add salt and coriander leaves and whisk slightly.
5. In a pan melt butter and lightly toss the chicken pieces taking care that they do not get cooked.
6. Now skewer the chicken pieces and roast in a moderately hot tandoor or grill.
7. Once the chicken is cooked coat the chicken with the egg yolk mixture and cook for few more minutes in the grill.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:44 am
Can I get a tandoor oven from Williams-Sonoma? Laughing Question on terminology: Is gram flour chick-pea flour, or something else? I thought chick-pea flour was besan....but I don't speak the language.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:54 am
Chick pea flour is not besan !! Gram flour is !!

Btw, there is a book from a leading Indian chef abt making tandoori dishes in an conventional oven....

Nita Mehta's Tikka Seekh and Kebab
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:06 pm
Long weekend coming up - perhaps a chance to try these!

Where do I send the samples!?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:07 pm
Here!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:01 pm
Thanks for the clarification....now what is besan exactly?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 02:24 am
Besan is bengal gram flour - what u use (or shud use Smile ) in pakoras !!!

Any Indian shop worth its salt should sell it as Besan....
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 02:24 am
Bengal gram is also known as Channa Daal....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 03:06 am
Is gram the same as graham? A sort of whole wheat ground flour, slightly sweet?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 03:14 am
no !
0 Replies