Small minds vs Open minds

TilleyWink

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 02:01 pm
You make great sense to me cicerone imposter. We can only know what we know and learn what we seek to learn.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 02:59 pm
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 03:53 pm
I have considered posts here regarding closed-mindedness, and fortunately my mind is open regarding this topic! I think people are right in saying that a closed mind cannot develop. So I shall try to open my mind. Try.

As for soldiers, I think that closing the mind good for those who serve you, but not you yourself.
0 Replies

ZoSo

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 05:07 pm
Yes, with a closed mind your mind cannot expand yet most great minds in history must have an element of "closedness" in order for them to have conviction in their beliefs sufficient for the ability to project views with strength.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 05:35 pm
I agree. A closed mind can be a useful tool in the directing of the subconscious mind.
0 Replies

ZoSo

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 05:49 pm
Exactly, but dangers of having a closed mind include a lack of tolerance of other cultures, view points and anything that differentiates you from someone else. So therefore from an anthropological point of view it is better for a society to have open minds.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:07 pm
a closed mind is only helpful when it is being reprogrammed or in a crisis when devoting energy to looking for reasons to reconsider what is believed would divert energy needed for survival. A open mind does not hurt determination or the ability to reach a goal so long as one goes with what they believe until they have reason to suspect that they should change their minds. always wondering, always having our mental energy sucked up by reconsidering options would be a very bad thing, which is why one should not reconsider unless new information has come in that strongly suggest that the current belief might be wrong
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:13 pm
interesting theory Hawk.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:16 pm
Depends what you mean by 'helpful'.

As a generalisation, I agree that open is better than closed.

In terms of directing the subconscious, closed isn't quite right - focused is.
0 Replies