How did Bush policy lead to a deal with North Korea?

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 08:54 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 372 • Replies: 9
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:00 am
What's next for Chris Hill?
June 26, 2008
What's next for Chris Hill?
By Warren P. Strobel
McClatchy blog

More so than any other official in the Bush administration, the breakthrough with North Korea that was announced on Thursday is the handiwork of Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill.

Hill, the bane of conservatives and hero of many at Foggy Bottom, has achieved a high profile for a mid-level diplomat in the Bush administration. He's pushed relentlessly for engagement with North Korea, with the backing of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. He's known for skilfully and assiduously working the news media, and pushing to the edge of his diplomatic mandate--and even beyond.

Hill, a Red Sox fan and lacrosse player, has joking called himself the Assistant Secretary of State for North Korea, and he's frequently found traipsing in and out of hotels in Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul and elsewhere--always with a few moments to spare to chat with the assembled waiting press.

But the rumors--and we stress they are only rumors--have already begun that Hill might choose this as a good time to depart. The deal announced Thursday is the second phase in a process meant to get North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons. Getting there was hard enough, as is any negotiation with the prickly North Koreans. But phase 3, in which the North is supposed to give up the plutonium it has produced for nuclear weapons, could be harder still. It's unlikely to get underway, much less be completed, in Bush's remaing time in office.

Hill's been in Asia this week, where Rice is also visiting.

Close associates tell us he has no plans to leave his post right now.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 01:51 pm
it's interesting to note that the negotiations with north-korea went on for years-and-years and may finally come to fruition .
when it comes to iran it seems that the approach favoured by some is : "let's bomb them now ! " .
it seems that testing a few missiles gave the north-koreans just a "slight" edge .
hbg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 01:55 pm
The sanctions and their surrendering to negotions probably helped more. I've said it before, I'll say it again, we can not have the same foriegn relations with every country and we must deal with each one with what works best, be it the carrot or the stick.

Bush started with 3 countries in the "Axis of Evil" and we now have the "Dot of Evil" remaining. I'd say that's progress.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 01:59 pm
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:00 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The sanctions and their surrendering to negotions probably helped more. I've said it before, I'll say it again, we can not have the same foriegn relations with every country and we must deal with each one with what works best, be it the carrot or the stick.

Bush started with 3 countries in the "Axis of Evil" and we now have the "Dot of Evil" remaining. I'd say that's progress.
How do you figure that? (N. Korea has stopped being evil?)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:08 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

exactly, north korea needs help, they've made some kind of concessions to get themselves some support, but a leopard, as they say, doesn't usually change it's spots
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:09 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Yes, I believe they are replacing the reactor with a Carvel Ice Cream shop manned by clowns.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:11 pm
McGentrix wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Yes, I believe they are replacing the reactor with a Carvel Ice Cream shop manned by clowns.

W found employment when he leaves office, that's great
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:15 pm
McGentrix wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

That would be progress. At least a few more of them might get something to eat. Sad
0 Replies