SC rulings may lead to a Republican Administration

mysteryman

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:33 am
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
OE, you have to go to the CDC website to get the stats I used.

Ah, no worries. For the sake of the argument, I'll just accept your numbers.

But those numbers are still totals, right? Not deaths/1000 cars or something like that?

'Cause in that case they still don't really tell us anything....

The numbers I posted were the raw numbers.
I didnt go into the site enough to see how they broke it down.
I was only looking for the raw numbers.

I will see if I can find a breakdown of the numbers and post it.

Here is the page that led me to the info I found.
There are alot of graphs and numbers to examine.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd/hestats/prelimdeaths05/prelimdeaths05.htm
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 12:43 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
First off, I appriciate the detailed reply.
McGentrix wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
You are exactly WRONG about what I am saying here. I'm not saying that the dumbest parent's teachings become the acceptable standard, I'm saying the smartest parent's standard becomes the standard and that standard is taught formally.

Guns are not issues for every child, not every child will own a gun. It's not about the government doing what the parent can't it's about doing what the government should be doing to promote security and safety. Frankly I don't care how skilled you are, I still don't think you are qualified to teach.

The State of New york would disagree with you, but that's beside the point. What you are proscribing, IS state mandated education for a basic right as stated in the constitution. An education is nice to have regarding gun safety, and I would heartily agree that it is nice to have, but should remain voluntary.

A state mandated education would be me saying that all children and individuals would have to take the courses. What I am saying is that the lawful ownership and operation of a firearm should include a formal education and license.

What you utterly fail to grasp is that the state cannot be allowed to insert itself into the position of dispensing a fundamental right. People have an inherent right to defend themselves, and to the means to defend themselves, and the state has no moral authority to grant the right only at its pleasure and under its control. In America, rights are not granted to citizens by the government, but are rather considered to be the inherent possession of citizens. Remember that in addition to the recognizing the right of citizens to defend themselves against crime and to hunt, it is clear (and explicitly stated in the Declaration of Independence) that the Founders believed citizens to have the right to overthrow the government itself by force should it ever become tyranical. This being the case, the government can hardly be allowed to set itself up as dispensing the means of defense. The government may, and should, help people defend themselves, as with police and the army, but it may not set itself up as being the granter of the right or ability of self-defense. Beyond this, I think that a big, invasive government that inserts itself into every walk of life and treats people like children is very undesirable.

RIIIIIIGHT.

Nothing I am advocating violates A2. We have freedom of Assembly too and the government outlines how to do that properly. Is the government denying a right by saying that a protest needs a permit, no. What about freedom of press? Can a paper print whatever it likes? No. The government can step in under a number of circumstances.

You miss the point so bad it makes me wonder if your aim is good enough to even hold a gun.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 02:15 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
You are exactly WRONG about what I am saying here. I'm not saying that the dumbest parent's teachings become the acceptable standard, I'm saying the smartest parent's standard becomes the standard and that standard is taught formally.

Guns are not issues for every child, not every child will own a gun. It's not about the government doing what the parent can't it's about doing what the government should be doing to promote security and safety. Frankly I don't care how skilled you are, I still don't think you are qualified to teach.

The State of New york would disagree with you, but that's beside the point. What you are proscribing, IS state mandated education for a basic right as stated in the constitution. An education is nice to have regarding gun safety, and I would heartily agree that it is nice to have, but should remain voluntary.

A state mandated education would be me saying that all children and individuals would have to take the courses. What I am saying is that the lawful ownership and operation of a firearm should include a formal education and license.

What you utterly fail to grasp is that the state cannot be allowed to insert itself into the position of dispensing a fundamental right. People have an inherent right to defend themselves, and to the means to defend themselves, and the state has no moral authority to grant the right only at its pleasure and under its control. In America, rights are not granted to citizens by the government, but are rather considered to be the inherent possession of citizens. Remember that in addition to the recognizing the right of citizens to defend themselves against crime and to hunt, it is clear (and explicitly stated in the Declaration of Independence) that the Founders believed citizens to have the right to overthrow the government itself by force should it ever become tyranical. This being the case, the government can hardly be allowed to set itself up as dispensing the means of defense. The government may, and should, help people defend themselves, as with police and the army, but it may not set itself up as being the granter of the right or ability of self-defense. Beyond this, I think that a big, invasive government that inserts itself into every walk of life and treats people like children is very undesirable.

RIIIIIIGHT.

Nothing I am advocating violates A2. We have freedom of Assembly too and the government outlines how to do that properly. Is the government denying a right by saying that a protest needs a permit, no. What about freedom of press? Can a paper print whatever it likes? No. The government can step in under a number of circumstances.

You miss the point so bad it makes me wonder if your aim is good enough to even hold a gun.

T
K
O

I actually would have answered you, but your rapid descent into insulting the poster makes me feel that it's probably not worth my time.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 02:38 pm
mysteryman wrote:

Acording to the CDC, there were 30,694 firearms deaths in the US in 2005...
60-80 million people own 200-280 million guns based on estimates from various sources. There seems to be no real data.
Quote:

There were 45,520 deaths caused by a motor vehicle in the same year.
According to Wiki there about 243,000,000 passenger vehicles in the US and about another 14 million other road vehicles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_vehicles_in_the_United_States

That leads to all kinds of abuse of statistics.

A gun may be less likely to kill than a car but for a gun owner, his gun is more likely to kill someone than his car ever will. For every hour of use, a gun is more likely to kill someone than a car is. Cars kill more people on the road. Guns kill more people NOT on the road. People killed with cars are more likely to be hit by tires. People killed with guns are more likely to be hit by bullets.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 03:22 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

RIIIIIIGHT.

T
K
O

I actually would have answered you, but your rapid descent into insulting the poster makes me feel that it's probably not worth my time.

Nice excuse.

I'm sure your answer would have been a let down anyways.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 04:26 pm
parados wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

60-80 million people own 200-280 million guns based on estimates from various sources. There seems to be no real data.
Quote:

According to Wiki there about 243,000,000 passenger vehicles in the US and about another 14 million other road vehicles.

A gun may be less likely to kill than a car but for a gun owner, his gun is more likely to kill someone than his car ever will. For every hour of use, a gun is more likely to kill someone than a car is. Cars kill more people on the road. Guns kill more people NOT on the road. People killed with cars are more likely to be hit by tires. People killed with guns are more likely to be hit by bullets.

Everyone knows that guns are dangerous. The question is whether citizens have an individual right to defend themselves. Once that is decided in the affirmative, gun violence statistics are an interesting, but irrelevant separate issue. My personal feeling is that every living being has a right to defend itself.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 04:37 pm
But armor piercing ammo and short barrel shotguns are a means of defense that put others at risk. I'm fine with gun ownership, but for the love of pete, people should be trained and tested.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:31 pm
If the Second Amendment has been clarified to allow citizens to defend themselves, does it only refer to guns? What happens when a Star Wars de-atomizer is invented. Can people then own one?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 12:53 am
Foofie wrote:
If the Second Amendment has been clarified to allow citizens to defend themselves, does it only refer to guns? What happens when a Star Wars de-atomizer is invented. Can people then own one?

The SC's decision has enough latitude to allow the government to ban personal ownership of nuclear (or similarly "humongous") weapons.

Quite a Red Herring though because the possibility of a citizen obtaining incredibly advanced weapons of mass destruction is virtually non-existent, and virtually no advocate of gun-control has, for a second, considered mega-weapons.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 01:28 am
But Finn, what say you then about armor piercing rounds? Chain guns?

To me it seems like this is like it's obvious when someone has had way to much to drink, but it's not so obvious when someone has had just one too many to drink.

Having a gun does not guarantee safety, nor does having a bigger gun than your adversary.

I'm okay with people owning guns, but I think the line has to be drawn at a reasonable point.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 02:23 am
Diest TKO wrote:
But Finn, what say you then about armor piercing rounds? Chain guns?

To me it seems like this is like it's obvious when someone has had way to much to drink, but it's not so obvious when someone has had just one too many to drink.

Having a gun does not guarantee safety, nor does having a bigger gun than your adversary.

I'm okay with people owning guns, but I think the line has to be drawn at a reasonable point.

T
K
O

It's a question of where to draw the line.

I'm not sure what weapon I need to protect my family and myself, but should a catastrophic disaster (e,g, Katrina) hit my area and local law enforcement break down, I want to have a weapon that will overwhelm any armed person or persons who attempt to take advantage of the civil unrest; as respects my home.

A far less likely event (although here you may disagree) is the conversion of our government to a tyranny. In such a case, should I wish to join a local militia in revolt, I suspect I would prefer to have something more than a pistol.

Currently I have no firearms in my house.

All of my kids are now grown and have fled the nest and so I am seriously considering arming myself.

I think a shotgun will do, but if I can lay my hands on an automatic with sufficient ammunition, I see no reason not to.

Criminals will obtain whatever weapons they desire, irrespective of legal bans.

Insane people who engage in mass murder are rare in number and can do so with muliple "small arms weapons" and a desire not to leave the "event" alive.

Deranged and/or drunk family members who find a weapon and their rage in too convenient a proximity are not likely to do more damage with an Uzi than a .22 calibre handgun.

In the end I have plenty of faith in myself and those like me to employ reserve and judgment when owning a gun, and, more importantly, I have the legally protect right to do so.Thus it doesn't matter whether or not someone is squeamish about me owning a gun. I get to do it, and I don't see the world coming to a violent end as a result.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 06:34 am
parados wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:

I must disagree with the highlighted part of your statement.
I have owned guns since I was 12 years old.
I have owned everything from a .22 rifle up to my current weapons, a .45 pistol, a 9 millimeter pistol, and a Charter Arms 12 gauge shotgun.
I have never killed anyone, or wounded anyone, with any of my weapons.
I have never even pointed them at anyone.
THe onlt time I have ever shot at a person with any weapon was when I was in Iraq.

Most gun owners can also honestly make the same claim.
Law abiding gun owners dont shoot people, because we know how to handle our weapons safely.

Having said that, I will admit and acknowledge that there are irresponsible, careless gun owners that dont know how to handle, use, or safely store their weapons.

However, I do firmly believe (and I havent been able to find any stats either way) that in most areas, you are far more likely to get injured or killed by an automobile then you are a firearm.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 09:25 am
I have to agree with MM on this one for sure. I also grew up with guns; I was taught how to shoot a rifle before I started first grade. I grew up in a area with a strong gun culture and plenty of ammunition--just about everybody hunted or went target shooting. I remember one guy got a few pellets of birdshot in his leg in a quail hunting accident once, but in our area, I don't remember a single gun related serous injury, death, or gun crime in all those years of growing up.

During that same period a lot of folks were banged up or killed in automobile accidents, however.

I think if you're going to speculate on statistics, all things being even, the odds of your being injured or killed aaccidentally via automobile are far higher than the odds of your being injured or killed accidentally by a firearm.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 09:49 am
So, how many people have you killed with your car MM? (Not that it matters since any anecotal admission that you killed more with your car than you gun doesn't disprove the statistic.)

Law abiding car owners don't kill people because we know how to handle our cars safely. (Doesn't that simple statement mean that cars are safer than guns? You seem to think it makes guns safer than cars.)

Your refutation of the statistical fact is meaningless. A gun owner is more likely to have his gun kill someone than his car. The stat itself may be meaningless for or against guns but it is a valid stat.

As for gun use vs auto use. How many hours a week do you use your car on average vs the hours a week you use your gun. Statistically, most people drive a car a lot more often than they shoot a gun. They often drive a car for 1 or more hours at a time, yet most gun owners rarely use their guns for more than an hour a week on average. Hunters use their guns maybe 5 or 6 weekends a year. A hunter is more likely to shoot someone accidently while hunting for 1-2 hours than he is likely to accidently kill somone driving the 1-2 hours to get to where he is hunting.

I don't think anyone can reasonably assert that during the average deer hunting season the deaths from accidental shooting per deer hunter is going to be significantly lower than the deaths per number of cars driven.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 10:11 am
I had mentioned the numbers I posted would lead to abuse of statistics.

I guess I failed to mention it would lead to people ignoring the statistics and making up their own.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 10:43 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Foofie wrote:

The SC's decision has enough latitude to allow the government to ban personal ownership of nuclear (or similarly "humongous") weapons.

Quite a Red Herring though because the possibility of a citizen obtaining incredibly advanced weapons of mass destruction is virtually non-existent, and virtually no advocate of gun-control has, for a second, considered mega-weapons.

No. I am not talking about weapons of mass destruction. I am talking about the ray-guns we saw in 1950's science fiction movies, where a water pistol sized gun emitted a ray of light, and the alien then vaporized.

That should be developed at some point, since it is in our collective thought, from those movies.

I use a variation of the Monty Python "killer joke" whereby anyone hearing the joke cannot stop laughing. I've fined tune the joke based on a self-deprecating focus. Regardless, it is quite effective; more effective than a firearm.

And yes, I had to qualify as a marksman each year; first on an M-16, and each later year on an M-14. As far as I'm concerned guns are for war. I see no place for them in civil society. And, if the sad truth is that society is not "civil," then I choose not to compensate with weapons invented for war.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 06:50 pm
parados wrote:
So, how many people have you killed with your car MM? (Not that it matters since any anecotal admission that you killed more with your car than you gun doesn't disprove the statistic.)

Unlike Ted Kennedy, I have never killed anyone with my car, or any other motor vehicle.

Law abiding car owners don't kill people because we know how to handle our cars safely. (Doesn't that simple statement mean that cars are safer than guns? You seem to think it makes guns safer than cars.)

Except for DUI's, reckless driving, vehicular homicide, careless backing, tailgating, running red lights or stop signs and other criminal acts committed while driving a motor vehicle.
And yes I know that there are criminal acts committed by some legal gun owners also.
Also, please show me where I said that guns were safer then cars!
I only said that more people get killed by cars then guns, according to the CDC.

Your refutation of the statistical fact is meaningless. A gun owner is more likely to have his gun kill someone than his car. The stat itself may be meaningless for or against guns but it is a valid stat.
How do you figure that?
A gun owner is NOT more likely to [quote]have his gun kill someone than his car

and I defy you to find any type of statistics, from the FBI or anywhere else, that backs up your claim.[/color]

As for gun use vs auto use. How many hours a week do you use your car on average vs the hours a week you use your gun. Statistically, most people drive a car a lot more often than they shoot a gun. They often drive a car for 1 or more hours at a time, yet most gun owners rarely use their guns for more than an hour a week on average. Hunters use their guns maybe 5 or 6 weekends a year. A hunter is more likely to shoot someone accidently while hunting for 1-2 hours than he is likely to accidently kill somone driving the 1-2 hours to get to where he is hunting.

I go shooting every day, but I dont drive my truck every day.

I don't think anyone can reasonably assert that during the average deer hunting season the deaths from accidental shooting per deer hunter is going to be significantly lower than the deaths per number of cars driven.[/quote]

Who made that assertion, and when was it made?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 08:15 pm
Homes with guns about 50% of total households
http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp (based on the Kleck study)

Homes with automobiles 90% of total households
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ctpp/jtw/jtw1.htm#veh (From US census)

Total households - 105,539,122
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ctpp/jtw/jtw1.htm#veh (From US census)

Quote:
Lets look at the numbers and find out.
http://webapp.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe

http://webapp.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe

Some simple math -
number of deaths divided by the number of households with that item

Chance of a gun in a household killing someone is .058% - 30,694/(105,539,122*.5)
Chance of a car in a household killing someone is .048% - 45,520/(105,539,122*.9)

Statistically, a gun in the house is more likely to kill someone than having a car. The math shows it to be true.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 11:42 pm
parados wrote:
I had mentioned the numbers I posted would lead to abuse of statistics.

I guess I failed to mention it would lead to people ignoring the statistics and making up their own.

Odd post:

Parados and his warning immediately followed by Parados and his justification for the warning...yet nothing in between!

Is Rod Serling lurking somewhere near?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 11:47 pm
Foofie wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Foofie wrote:

No. I am not talking about weapons of mass destruction. I am talking about the ray-guns we saw in 1950's science fiction movies, where a water pistol sized gun emitted a ray of light, and the alien then vaporized.

That should be developed at some point, since it is in our collective thought, from those movies.

I use a variation of the Monty Python "killer joke" whereby anyone hearing the joke cannot stop laughing. I've fined tune the joke based on a self-deprecating focus. Regardless, it is quite effective; more effective than a firearm.

And yes, I had to qualify as a marksman each year; first on an M-16, and each later year on an M-14. As far as I'm concerned guns are for war. I see no place for them in civil society. And, if the sad truth is that society is not "civil," then I choose not to compensate with weapons invented for war.

Yes, when ray-guns can be readily obtained by anyone, the 2nd Amendment protects our rights to own one.

Ray-guns, phasers, disintegrators etc all qualify, as I see it, as "arms."

If punks on the subway still want to jump a passenger when he or she can scramble their molecules, then bid adieu to their "star stuff."

Imagine a ray-gun that vaporizes its target. A lot less murder cases and a whole lot more missing persons investigations.

Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies