SC rulings may lead to a Republican Administration

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:47 am
Well the hopes and dreams of many conservatives that two George Bush terms would radically change the slant of the Supreme Court have appeared to fallen one justice short of the mark.

Over the past few weeks, we've seen the SC increasingly make judicial opinions in 5-4 split favoring the liberal errr...progressive block of the court (Stevens, Ginsburg, Souter and Breyer). Kennedy seems to have a distinct liberal bent these days.

As a good social conservative though, I do take heart that these rulings will undoubtedly serve to energize the conservative base for McCain. If they rule against gun rights, you can expect such a hue and cry from the right-wing that we may see a McCain win in November.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,278 • Replies: 140
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 12:23 am
I get what you are saying, but I think you are giving to much credit to the American gun enthusiast. The Republican's only chance IMO is to reach out to the center, and the gun issue just isn't going to rally up groups like conservative Hispanics or Evangelical Blacks (statistically more conservative than whites on social issues). What effect I think may come from something like this is that perhaps a small spike on issues which don't really win the votes that win the election.

Just my opinion.

BTW, I see you are in NoVA, what county?

T
K
O
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 05:24 am
Don't underestimate the power of American gun enthusiast.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 05:39 am
Personally, as a gun owning liberal, I dont see how the USSC can fail to uphold the implication re individual rights in gun ownership. I believe that the DC ban on guns will be overturned.

It will take congressional action to change this by either constitutional mods or SC judicial review. I dont see that happening, although, in many cases, I WOULD like to see it happen.

Gun control laws that have no means of enforcement are useless and actually endanger the lives of the law abiding.

There are laws , like the multiple gun purchase, or the failure to report a missing gun, or laws about huge clips are all silent in the constitution and no amount of reality, cept constant pressure by the NRA gun lobby, will creep into the picture until some USSC develops some BALLS and congress develops some BALLS to challenge these clowns.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:01 am
I'm gonna buy a HK MP5 10mm with a 100-round clip just to piss off f-tard.

http://www.hkpro.com/MP5-10.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:16 am
Or maybe a pair of Glocks....

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos05/feb/vahanglockst.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:19 am
They can appoint all the supposed conservatives they want; the Supreme Court still has to follow the intent of the Constitution, as the members interpret it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:26 am
H2O_MAN wrote:

The community is more diverse than you think Kevin.

I like Farmerman own firearms and am quite liberal when it comes to most social issues. I just think it's ridiculous that any ruling to promote gun control is recieved as "they are taking my guns away!" I think that most people are smart enough to know this is not true.

1: You own guns?
2: Yeah?
1: Then you need to be mad!
2: I do?
1: Hell Yeah!
2: Okay. I'm mad now what?
1: Vote republican!
2: ...
1: ...What?
2: Well it's just that I'm kind of upset with the current economy and I really want my brothers to return from Iraq. I'm concerned about my civil liberties-
1: Gun rights are civil liberties.
2: Uh... Yeah cool, like I was saying, I'm concerned about my civil liberties and the democrats don't want my guns.
1: Now YOU are trying to take my guns away!
2: I don't want your guns, I have enough.
1: You can never have enough guns.
2: Enough guns to what?
1: Uh...?

T
K
O
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:32 am
Diest TKO wrote:
I get what you are saying, but I think you are giving to much credit to the American gun enthusiast. The Republican's only chance IMO is to reach out to the center, and the gun issue just isn't going to rally up groups like conservative Hispanics or Evangelical Blacks (statistically more conservative than whites on social issues). What effect I think may come from something like this is that perhaps a small spike on issues which don't really win the votes that win the election.

Just my opinion.

BTW, I see you are in NoVA, what county?

T
K
O

TKO,
It's not just the gun ruling...it's the cumulative effect of a number of rulings which will convince fence-sitting Republicans that they can't afford to sit out the election. We're very close to reversing years of progressive justices who feel obligated to impose their personal world view onto the rest of us.

It's almost certain that one of the most liberal judges on the court, JP Stevens, will either announce his retirement or (heaven forbid?) die during the term of the next president. Five of the other judges are over 70 years old and thus there's a distinct possibility that one or more of them might be replaced due to illness, retirement or death as well. Thus a vote for a republican president offers a great opportunity to finally establish an unassailable conservative majority on the Supreme Court.

I think you will see a lot of conservatives swallow their distaste for McCain in the short term for a long term conservative Supreme Court.

BTW, I live in FFX Cty.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:52 am
YEs, I know you aren't just talking about guns. I only focused on that because it was meantioned.

If Conservatives are upset by Judicial Legislation, then either they should know it's not as simple as getting a conservative judge in place. Further, are they upset because they feel that the court should not have this power or because they simply don't like the outcome? If conservatives truly are against this kind of thing, wouldn't George Bush's signing orders on bills be far worse than a USSC ruling? Or is that okay because they like the outcome? Which is it?

For years the republicans have demonized judicial interpretation and the jurisprudence that can result. In my opinion, they only demonize it because they can't do it. That's why they want conservative judges put in place. It's just not that simple.

Let's say you wanted to overturn Roe v Wade, you'd have to review the old case. Have you ever read the original ruling word for word? I have. They were super thorough. New judges, but no real new evidence for consideration which would effecively challenge the original ruling.

Perhaps it will encourage more republicans to come out to vote, but if you look at the way Obama has affected individuals, you'd be hard pressed to find an equivilent responce. I can remember the Indiana Primery and at 2:00 AM when the number finally came in from Gary Indiana, it almost overturned the state for Obama. The reason being, that traditionally that district had a voter turnout of ~23% but that night they reported ~82% attendance. Almost unanomously Obama. Amazing, and I think that there are many places just like this waiting to spring out. I think that some assumptions about the general election will not apply this year. Some states will go purple that never have before.

I don't think McCain will the get the attendance he needs. He still has a chance, but the last few times that he's had great opportuities to gain some momentum with moderates, I think he dropped the ball.

T
K
O
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:33 am
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25352876#25352876
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:55 am
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Not at all.

I have converted many gun fearing liberals into gun toting Libertarians
Cool
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:01 am
I would venture that a large majority of active and retired LEO's, prosecutors, judges, and even defense attorneys carry guns ALL THE TIME, and they aren't going to stop because of some silly law.

Should they be more special than you and me? I don't think so.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:39 am
In related news: DC just overturned it's gun law. Guns are now allowed back in the district. I'm not sure if this goes into effect immediately or not. No word yet as to CC permits etc.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:43 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Not at all.

I have converted many gun fearing liberals into gun toting Libertarians
Cool

The irony here Kevin is that all to many conservatives own guns out of fear of other guns. It's MAD on a small scale. I don't think liberals fear guns, I think they simply recognize that people who should not have guns or don't understand the responcibility have them. Most liberals for instance probably don't care that some father and son duo has hunting rifles and go out hunting etc.

T
K
O
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:50 am
I have to disagree TKO. I've been subject to a myriad of insults and hate filled objections to just that. My son and I hunt together every fall.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:57 am
cjhsa wrote:
I have to disagree TKO. I've been subject to a myriad of insults and hate filled objections to just that. My son and I hunt together every fall.

I didn't say that the sentiment doesn't exist. I certainly know people that don't think people should own rifles for sport hunting etc. Those individuals I believe have the same problem you do: Their solution is no solution at all and does not represent any comprimise.

T
K
O
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 09:00 am
Excuse me? I cannot own a machine gun without an FFL, and even if I had one of those, I cannot purchase a weapon made after 1986, which makes the pre-ban guns worth 10's of thousands of dollars.

I smell compromise.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 09:11 am
cjhsa wrote:
Excuse me? I cannot own a machine gun without an FFL, and even if I had one of those, I cannot purchase a weapon made after 1986, which makes the pre-ban guns worth 10's of thousands of dollars.

I smell compromise.

I smell mothballs in your wallet and nothing else.

A real comprimise would be that all gun owners (not just CC) recieve a permit/licence which must be regulary renewed and all guns must be registered. Just for start.

I'm also for a gun tax coupled to fund the operations of the ATF or whatever agency would provide the above education.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:08 am
In my own opinion, for the Republicans to win in November, it might be wise to "castle" McCain and Huckabee. Huckabee becomes the Presidential candidate, and McCain becomes the VP candidate. I say this since it would eliminate any "perceived" concerns about McCain's age as the potential President, and Huckabee, being a Baptist minister, would get the South to vote for him en masse, I believe.

For all the talk time and face time that liberals get in the media, I believe the country is still a white conservative Protestant majority.
0 Replies