SC rulings may lead to a Republican Administration

rabel22

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:54 am
Mc Gen. I bet you home school your kids. I cant see you sending your kids to government run schools.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:56 am
McGentrix wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
I'm not the one that claims any fool can build a fire. Further, not all parents teach their children how to build a fire safely. How many parents demonstrate poor fire safety in front of their kids?

Just poor some kerosene on and light a match. NO.

If you really want to ay that guns are like starting a fire, I will still say that you should not be setting fires unless you are trained on how to do so safely.

T
K
O

You are so close to actually getting the point of my post. Try just a bit harder and you will get it.

I understood your point fine. My point though is that ultimately a gun is not fire, it's a gun. There are many things that a gun owner/operator needs to know that a parent may not be able to provide and in the interest of the user and the public, a standardized process must be put into place to both educate and certify users.

You can't be so careless with a gun, it's a liability that should not be taken so lightly. It's a responcibility and I am surprized to hear opposition to the notion that we should educate people on gun safety and document gun sales etc.

You or cjhsa may think you are qualified to teach gun safety, and even if I were to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are you'd still have to agree with me that not everyone parent is going to teach good gun safety skills. Would you want a parent with poor skills or no skills teaching their child about guns? I doubt you do.

Why would anyone be threatened about state or federal sponsored gun training/licensing?

I think the fault of liberals when it comes to guns is that they have shyed away and let people like cjhsa define what gun ownership/responsibility is and is not.

T
K
O

The problem with your logic is that you want everyone to have to fall to the lowest common denominator. A common liberal belief. If one parent isn't capable of doing something, the government should step in and take care of an issue for every child.

Who gave you your first gun? Was it your parents? Why didn't they teach you how top use it properly?

If they didn't have the skills, obviously there was a place for you to voluntarily go and receive training. That is good. You took it upon yourself to go and find the training you felt you needed. Cjhsa knows how to handle fire arms and is teaching his children to do the same, just as I am with my children. Why do you feel that is objectionable?

BTW, in NYS, though you are not required to take a hand-gun training course before applying for a pistol permit, your odds of receiving one go way up if you do however. Long guns do not require any sort of training or permits. Yet, my children know how to safely handle both because I taught them how and did not require the government to step in and do it for me.

Maybe they know how to do it safely. Maybe they don't. I don't know, because frankly your competence is not something that I take for granted.

And we cannot as a society take deadly weapons and their use for granted. Think about what you are opposing here: a safety course for kids who want to use guns. This is a bad thing?

I would like you to also think about the term 'average intelligence' and what that means. It means that a large percentage of our society is not qualified to teach the proper and safe way to use guns to their kids. Many people do NOT teach their kids the right way to do it. You are ignoring this very real fact as if it did not exist. And it leads to deaths.

The Car analogy was far, far better then your 'fire' analogy, for it is also a tool which can be a deadly weapon, and we currently require our children to take courses and be licensed in its' use. Why should we not do the same for guns? Are you claiming that a gun is less deadly then a car?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 10:23 am
ebrown_p wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
I disagree with woiyo on one point - I don't lock my guns away at home. Some, yes, but not all. They do me no good locked away in a self defense situation.

Yeah, I keep my loaded gun under my pillow.

Maybe.

Keep - means it's mine and you can't have it.
Bear - means it's right here with me or nearby
Shall not be infringed - means **** you and drive safely
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:25 am
McGentrix wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
I'm not the one that claims any fool can build a fire. Further, not all parents teach their children how to build a fire safely. How many parents demonstrate poor fire safety in front of their kids?

Just poor some kerosene on and light a match. NO.

If you really want to ay that guns are like starting a fire, I will still say that you should not be setting fires unless you are trained on how to do so safely.

T
K
O

You are so close to actually getting the point of my post. Try just a bit harder and you will get it.

I understood your point fine. My point though is that ultimately a gun is not fire, it's a gun. There are many things that a gun owner/operator needs to know that a parent may not be able to provide and in the interest of the user and the public, a standardized process must be put into place to both educate and certify users.

You can't be so careless with a gun, it's a liability that should not be taken so lightly. It's a responcibility and I am surprized to hear opposition to the notion that we should educate people on gun safety and document gun sales etc.

You or cjhsa may think you are qualified to teach gun safety, and even if I were to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are you'd still have to agree with me that not everyone parent is going to teach good gun safety skills. Would you want a parent with poor skills or no skills teaching their child about guns? I doubt you do.

Why would anyone be threatened about state or federal sponsored gun training/licensing?

I think the fault of liberals when it comes to guns is that they have shyed away and let people like cjhsa define what gun ownership/responsibility is and is not.

T
K
O

The problem with your logic is that you want everyone to have to fall to the lowest common denominator. A common liberal belief. If one parent isn't capable of doing something, the government should step in and take care of an issue for every child.
You are exactly WRONG about what I am saying here. I'm not saying that the dumbest parent's teachings become the acceptable standard, I'm saying the smartest parent's standard becomes the standard and that standard is taught formally.

Guns are not issues for every child, not every child will own a gun. It's not about the government doing what the parent can't it's about doing what the government should be doing to promote security and safety. Frankly I don't care how skilled you are, I still don't think you are qualified to teach.

Would you let the son of a doctor do surgery on you? What if the doctor told you that his son had been taught everything he knew? The doctor might be the best in the world at what he does, but the son should still have a license to practice medicine.

McGentrix wrote:

Who gave you your first gun? Was it your parents? Why didn't they teach you how top use it properly?

Yes, it was my father. He didn't teach me because he thought I'd get a better education elsewhere.

McGentrix wrote:

If they didn't have the skills, obviously there was a place for you to voluntarily go and receive training. That is good. You took it upon yourself to go and find the training you felt you needed. Cjhsa knows how to handle fire arms and is teaching his children to do the same, just as I am with my children. Why do you feel that is objectionable?

I don't object that you assist in their education, but I think that they should still attend gun safety courses. Hell, even in regaurds to technique, you might think you are a crackerjack shot, but I'm sure there are techniques that are teachable which could improve your own skill. What about diversity in education. Getting all of your information on a subject from one source isn't good. It's good to teach your kids about guns but why not expose them to others with a different experience than you. For instance, I think that if you had a friend in police enforcement they could maybe come with you to the range and talk about other gun topics such as the law and other safety issues which you yourself may not know about.

Bottom line: You want your kids to be educated, why not offer them the best education? for that matter, I imagine you want all users to have the best education. If you think that you offer the best education, then I hope you've got an open schedule. Why not make it mandatory? My not just make it a part of the process?

McGentrix wrote:

BTW, in NYS, though you are not required to take a hand-gun training course before applying for a pistol permit, your odds of receiving one go way up if you do however. Long guns do not require any sort of training or permits. Yet, my children know how to safely handle both because I taught them how and did not require the government to step in and do it for me.

You are basing your politics on your experience, which I understand, but it's not a universal experience and the exceptions define the rules. Your child ren could have received the same education with my idea. If at the end of their gun education you still felt that they weren't up to par, nothing would stop you from supplementing their education. At least the state would know that one more gun user is aware of the laws and safety standards involving guns, as well as having forensic data to add to their database and a record of the gun's location.

You have to remember, it's not just your safety and the safety of your child, it's the safety of the general public too. I think the fear of guns would be a whole lot less if the public knew that the people who owned them had to recieve training and pass a test.

T
K
O
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 01:16 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
You are exactly WRONG about what I am saying here. I'm not saying that the dumbest parent's teachings become the acceptable standard, I'm saying the smartest parent's standard becomes the standard and that standard is taught formally.

Guns are not issues for every child, not every child will own a gun. It's not about the government doing what the parent can't it's about doing what the government should be doing to promote security and safety. Frankly I don't care how skilled you are, I still don't think you are qualified to teach.

The State of New york would disagree with you, but that's beside the point. What you are proscribing, IS state mandated education for a basic right as stated in the constitution. An education is nice to have regarding gun safety, and I would heartily agree that it is nice to have, but should remain voluntary.

Diest TKO wrote:
Would you let the son of a doctor do surgery on you? What if the doctor told you that his son had been taught everything he knew? The doctor might be the best in the world at what he does, but the son should still have a license to practice medicine.

I have fired a gun and I can tell you from first hand experience it is nothing like heart surgery. That's a pretty silly analogy to make.

Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Yes, it was my father. He didn't teach me because he thought I'd get a better education elsewhere.

That was his and your decision to make. Wasn't it nice to be able to make that decision for yourself instead of having the state tell you you HAD to?

Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I don't object that you assist in their education, but I think that they should still attend gun safety courses. Hell, even in regards to technique, you might think you are a crackerjack shot, but I'm sure there are techniques that are teachable which could improve your own skill. What about diversity in education. Getting all of your information on a subject from one source isn't good. It's good to teach your kids about guns but why not expose them to others with a different experience than you. For instance, I think that if you had a friend in police enforcement they could maybe come with you to the range and talk about other gun topics such as the law and other safety issues which you yourself may not know about.

Bottom line: You want your kids to be educated, why not offer them the best education? for that matter, I imagine you want all users to have the best education. If you think that you offer the best education, then I hope you've got an open schedule. Why not make it mandatory? Why not just make it a part of the process?

Because the process is flawed. Look how many drivers have licenses, yet we still have car accidents (going back to Cycloptichorns analogy). Does having a drivers license and driver education make people better drivers? In some cases yes, some no. What makes you think a 3rd party education would be any more useful for guns? Most responsible gun owners will provide their family and friends with a more then sufficient education. That will also ensure they have the knowledge as without it, they will most likely not be firing any weapons.

The problem lies ion the fact that liberals like to look at the bad apple and assume all apples must be bad. irresponsible gun owners give the responsible ones a black eye, but that does not mean they should be punished for the actions of those that act irresponsibly and that what you are suggesting.

Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

You are basing your politics on your experience, which I understand, but it's not a universal experience and the exceptions define the rules. Your children could have received the same education with my idea. If at the end of their gun education you still felt that they weren't up to par, nothing would stop you from supplementing their education. At least the state would know that one more gun user is aware of the laws and safety standards involving guns, as well as having forensic data to add to their database and a record of the gun's location.

You have to remember, it's not just your safety and the safety of your child, it's the safety of the general public too. I think the fear of guns would be a whole lot less if the public knew that the people who owned them had to recieve training and pass a test.

T
K
O

When my children are old enough to drive, I will teach them to drive. I will be sure they have the knowledge and skills neccesary for them to navigate the highways and byways safely. I will also do the same for their gun education and do not need the government to do this for me.

Fopr those that do, there are classes for them to take. I see no reason to make any additional rules to the process.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 01:59 pm
"And we cannot as a society take deadly weapons and their use for granted. Think about what you are opposing here: a safety course for kids who want to use guns. This is a bad thing?

I would like you to also think about the term 'average intelligence' and what that means. It means that a large percentage of our society is not qualified to teach the proper and safe way to use guns to their kids. Many people do NOT teach their kids the right way to do it. You are ignoring this very real fact as if it did not exist. And it leads to deaths. "

You have an awfully cynical view of society think the average person is too stupid to understand gun safety. That's OK since I know you think you and the Govt are smarter than everyone.

I just wonder what the statistics are relative to injury/death by legal gun owners as compared to injury or death by licensed drivers.

"There were about 3.4 million injuries and 41,611 people killed in auto accidents in 1999. The total number of people killed in highway crashes in 2001 was 42,116, compared to 41,945 in 2000. An average of 114 people die each day in car crashes in the U.S."

http://www.unitedjustice.com/death-statistics.html

" * Firearm accident deaths have been decreasing for decades. Since 1930, their annual number has decreased 80%, while the U.S. population has more than doubled and the number of firearms has quintupled. Among children, such deaths have decreased 89% since 1975.
* Firearm accident deaths are at an all-time annual low, while the U.S. population is at an all-time high. Therefore, the firearm accident death rate is at an all-time annual low, 0.2 per 100,000 population, down 94% since the all-time high in 1904.
* Today, the odds are a million to one, against a child in the U.S. dying in a firearm accident.
* Firearms are involved in 0.6% of accidental deaths nationally. Most accidental deaths involve, or are due to, motor vehicles (39%), poisoning (18%), falls (16%), suffocation (5%), drowning (2.9%), fires (2.8%), medical mistakes (2.2%), environmental factors (1.2%), and bicycles and tricycles (0.7%). Among children: motor vehicles (45%), suffocation (18%), drowning (14%), fires (9%), bicycles and tricycles (2.4%), falls (2%), poisoning (1.6%),environmental factors (1.5%), and medical mistakes (0.8%). "

So let's see, the govt insists on driver training and has a DMV.

No formal govt sponsored gun training.

I think the dummies are the ones driving on the road, not the gun owners!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:08 pm
First off, I appriciate the detailed reply.
McGentrix wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

The State of New york would disagree with you, but that's beside the point. What you are proscribing, IS state mandated education for a basic right as stated in the constitution. An education is nice to have regarding gun safety, and I would heartily agree that it is nice to have, but should remain voluntary.

A state mandated education would be me saying that all children and individuals would have to take the courses. What I am saying is that the lawful ownership and operation of a firearm should include a formal education and license.

McGentrix wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

I have fired a gun and I can tell you from first hand experience it is nothing like heart surgery. That's a pretty silly analogy to make.

The point is the education. You seem to acknowledge that people need an education on both topics (guns, surgery), seem to understand the consequences of failure of both being very serious.

Silly sure, but still valid.

McGentrix wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

That was his and your decision to make. Wasn't it nice to be able to make that decision for yourself instead of having the state tell you you HAD to?

The issue of safety trumped every other concern. Even if the state made me take a class, and a test, and even if I were upset about it, I'd still understand it.

McGentrix wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I don't object that you assist in their education, but I think that they should still attend gun safety courses. Hell, even in regards to technique, you might think you are a crackerjack shot, but I'm sure there are techniques that are teachable which could improve your own skill. What about diversity in education. Getting all of your information on a subject from one source isn't good. It's good to teach your kids about guns but why not expose them to others with a different experience than you. For instance, I think that if you had a friend in police enforcement they could maybe come with you to the range and talk about other gun topics such as the law and other safety issues which you yourself may not know about.

Bottom line: You want your kids to be educated, why not offer them the best education? for that matter, I imagine you want all users to have the best education. If you think that you offer the best education, then I hope you've got an open schedule. Why not make it mandatory? Why not just make it a part of the process?

Because the process is flawed. Look how many drivers have licenses, yet we still have car accidents (going back to Cycloptichorns analogy). Does having a drivers license and driver education make people better drivers? In some cases yes, some no. What makes you think a 3rd party education would be any more useful for guns? Most responsible gun owners will provide their family and friends with a more then sufficient education. That will also ensure they have the knowledge as without it, they will most likely not be firing any weapons.

Does having a drivers license make people a better driver? Not nessisarily, but I think that the process adds to the confidence of the citizens. This is a public issue. It puts the liability on the user, where it should be.

By your system, only responsible gun owners are getting the education they need. This is just far too irresponcible because it's not just the responcible gun owners that own guns. In my system, all users independant of their background recieve the same education. It's just safer and a better way to communicate the responcibility to gun owners.

McGentrix wrote:

The problem lies ion the fact that liberals like to look at the bad apple and assume all apples must be bad. irresponsible gun owners give the responsible ones a black eye, but that does not mean they should be punished for the actions of those that act irresponsibly and that what you are suggesting.

This is not about liberal/conservative. I am quite liberal. As far as apples go, it's not that a bad apple means all apples are bad, it means that we should be looking closer at our apples. There are many opportunities to be proactive with gun safety and I think we should be taking them.

I'm not advocating taking away someone's guns. I'm not saying that someone can't buy a gun. I'm saying this is a public issue and my safety is more important than your convieniance. It's your responcibility.

McGentrix wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

You are basing your politics on your experience, which I understand, but it's not a universal experience and the exceptions define the rules. Your children could have received the same education with my idea. If at the end of their gun education you still felt that they weren't up to par, nothing would stop you from supplementing their education. At least the state would know that one more gun user is aware of the laws and safety standards involving guns, as well as having forensic data to add to their database and a record of the gun's location.

T
K
O

When my children are old enough to drive, I will teach them to drive. I will be sure they have the knowledge and skills neccesary for them to navigate the highways and byways safely. I will also do the same for their gun education and do not need the government to do this for me.

Fact: Your children will still need to have a license no matter how well you train them.
Fact: Millions of parents train their teens how to drive every year, and still some children do not pass the test.

Once again, it's not about you (nessisarily). You may not need the government, some will, and we benefit from having people trained well.

McGentrix wrote:

For those that do, there are classes for them to take. I see no reason to make any additional rules to the process.

The reasons you don't see you ignore. The issue at hand is that not everyone is as educated as you but still has the same access to the weaponry.

In 2005, there were 789 accidental gun related deaths in the USA. Proper training for the individual who owned/stored the gun, and/or used the gun could have significantly reduced this figure.

We can do better. Why you oppose this seems selfish and short-sighted. I can't understand why you would sacrifice public safety for these reasons.

Think about it.
Keep your guns, but promote higher standards.
One perhaps two people have died from an accidental gun discharge in the last two days while we have debated this based on statistics.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 04:37 pm
cyclo said...

Quote:
Are you claiming that a gun is less deadly then a car?

Lets look at the numbers and find out.
Acording to the CDC, there were 30,694 firearms deaths in the US in 2005...
http://webapp.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe

There were 45,520 deaths caused by a motor vehicle in the same year.

So going by that, a gun IS less deadly then a motor vehicle.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:33 pm
mysteryman wrote:
cyclo said...

Quote:

Uhm. No.

That's like saying that last year, 2,481,000 Americans died, but only 256 people in Liechtenstein, and concluding that therefore living in Liechtenstein is less deadly than living in the United States....
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:37 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
cyclo said...

Quote:

Uhm. No.

That's like saying that last year, 2,481,000 Americans died, but only 256 people in Liechtenstein, and concluding that therefore living in Liechtenstein is less deadly than living in the United States....

Nope, not unless there are the same number of people living in Liechtenstein.
When the numbers from the CDC are compared, using the same population numbers as a base, then according to the CDC motor vehicles are more dangerous then guns, as both a total number of deaths, deaths per 10,000 ratio, and as a percentage of the ppulation.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:06 pm
Aside from the owning of guns, I believe that in the U.S. the whole issue has a context different than elsewhere. The U.S. has a "gun culture." Like California has a car culture, and some people there might just have a personal identity that is reflected in the car(s) they own.

So, is this gun culture something that exists aside from the Second Amendment? Like in Israel, most people have learned in the military how to fire weapons; do they have a gun culture amongst civilians? I do not think so.

My point is, why does the U.S. have a gun culture? It is as though we really do not feel safe in our own country. Sort of sad. Would you not say?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 08:43 pm
mysteryman wrote:
cyclo said...

Quote:

Were the 30,694 people killed by guns in the US less dead than the ones killed in cars?

Even if the numbers you put up made cars more deadly, the numbers also show that guns are quite deadly. Deadly enough to validate the nessisity to stricter rules.

T
K
O
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:31 pm
The point that MM, and his gun loving cohorts miss while attmpting to draw an equivalence between gun deaths and autombile deaths is that a gun is, by design, a killing device, whereas an automobile is, first and foremost, a method of transportation.

The primary purpose of a vehicle is not to kill, it is to move people an products to different places.
The primary purpose of a gun is to kill whatever is facing it when it goes off.

It is the most absurd thing to attempt to argue that gun related deaths are somehow acceptable, or that guns shouldn't be banned, because cars cause people to die as well. The primary function of cars and guns differ in such a fundamental manner that the mere attempt at drawing an equivalence between them in any respect is so asinine it barely deserves qualification.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:34 pm
It isn't just the guns that have people raising eyebrows re recent Supreme Court rulings. Some others give substantial pause for thought as well. Actually the Court got it right on the guns, but we were perilously close to having the Supreme Court throw out the Second Amendment and, if it can do that, it can presume to rewrite the entire Constitution to its liking. The next President will likely nominate at least one Supreme Court justice. Who do you trust most to value the letter and intent of the Constitution when that nomination is made?

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/bg0627aj.jpg
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 03:00 am
mysteryman wrote:
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
cyclo said...

Quote:

Uhm. No.

Nope, not unless there are the same number of people living in Liechtenstein.
When the numbers from the CDC are compared, using the same population numbers as a base, then according to the CDC motor vehicles are more dangerous then guns, as both a total number of deaths, deaths per 10,000 ratio, and as a percentage of the ppulation.

Yeah..... that's what I was saying: You're comparing total numbers - not numbers of deaths relative to numbers of guns or to cars.

If you want to see if gun or cars are more deadly, you'd probably have to calculate the numbers of deaths per gun vs. the number of deaths per vehicle....

(By the way, your links don't work for me....)
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 03:33 am
OE - You're being to rational. If you want them to get the point fire a gunin the air first then follow up your point with a "yeehaw!"

T
K
O
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 04:38 am
Diest TKO wrote:
First off, I appriciate the detailed reply.
McGentrix wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

A state mandated education would be me saying that all children and individuals would have to take the courses. What I am saying is that the lawful ownership and operation of a firearm should include a formal education and license.

What you utterly fail to grasp is that the state cannot be allowed to insert itself into the position of dispensing a fundamental right. People have an inherent right to defend themselves, and to the means to defend themselves, and the state has no moral authority to grant the right only at its pleasure and under its control. In America, rights are not granted to citizens by the government, but are rather considered to be the inherent possession of citizens. Remember that in addition to the recognizing the right of citizens to defend themselves against crime and to hunt, it is clear (and explicitly stated in the Declaration of Independence) that the Founders believed citizens to have the right to overthrow the government itself by force should it ever become tyranical. This being the case, the government can hardly be allowed to set itself up as dispensing the means of defense. The government may, and should, help people defend themselves, as with police and the army, but it may not set itself up as being the granter of the right or ability of self-defense. Beyond this, I think that a big, invasive government that inserts itself into every walk of life and treats people like children is very undesirable.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:16 am
candidone1 wrote:
The point that MM, and his gun loving cohorts miss while attmpting to draw an equivalence between gun deaths and autombile deaths is that a gun is, by design, a killing device, whereas an automobile is, first and foremost, a method of transportation.

Gee, I didnt know I had "cohorts".
I was simply responding to Cyclo's question about guns being more deadly then cars.
I provided the actual numbers from the CDC that showed that more people die from motor vehicle accidents then from firearms (as of 2005).
Where did I draw any type of equivalence between the 2?

The primary purpose of a vehicle is not to kill, it is to move people an products to different places.
The primary purpose of a gun is to kill whatever is facing it when it goes off.

Agreed!

It is the most absurd thing to attempt to argue that gun related deaths are somehow acceptable, or that guns shouldn't be banned, because cars cause people to die as well. The primary function of cars and guns differ in such a fundamental manner that the mere attempt at drawing an equivalence between them in any respect is so asinine it barely deserves qualification.

Where did I or anyone else make that argument?
And why are you so upset about what I posted from the CDC website?

BTW, since someone killed with a firearm and someone killed by a car are both dead, I would say that is an equivalence, wouldnt you?

OE, you have to go to the CDC website to get the stats I used.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:24 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
... a gun is less deadly then a car?

There are far more people killed and maimed by motor vehicles
each and every year than killed and maimed by fire arms yearly.

Motor vehicle are far more lethal than fire arms.

The saying: "My gun has killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car" is a fact for the vast majority of people.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:26 am
mysteryman wrote:
OE, you have to go to the CDC website to get the stats I used.

Ah, no worries. For the sake of the argument, I'll just accept your numbers.

But those numbers are still totals, right? Not deaths/1000 cars or something like that?

'Cause in that case they still don't really tell us anything....
0 Replies