Rumsfeld on the Rack

mamajuana

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:17 pm
Tonight on the PBS Newshour, there was a long interview of a noticeably nervous and twitching Rumsfeld by a noticeably skeptical Jim Lehrer. Quite a few times when Rummy denied something, Lehrer was right there with the source and the quote, and Rumsfeld would backtrack. At one point, to show Leherer he was wrong about something, Rummy decided to read from his statement. But then Lehrer read the same statement back, including the things that were conveniently dropped. To hear the backing and filling that went on was a treat.

I should think it would be increasingly difficult for a number of them to stay. And just today, Industrial Paper, Levi, and an electronic supply company announced imminent layoffs - just to add to the whole picture. Barring a miracle, this looks increasingly like a party whose leadership have hung themselves.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:27 pm
Professor Hobitbob- Thank you for listing Secretary of Defense's VITA. That was quite impressive. I remembered some of his accomplishments but you reminded me there were many many more.

However, I am sure that all of that experience will go for naught since Rumsfeld was, according to one account, "eviscerated" by Lehrer on PBS.

I will watch for Rumsfeld's early resignation. I am sure that he cannot take the kind of beating that was handed to him by Lehrer.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:29 pm
It is good to know that someone is willing to stand up to Rummy! I just wish that it hadn't taken so long. Gwen Ifill sort of let Condi slide when she interviwed her in July. I thought that might have been because Ifill strikes me as the "mom" type, and might be reluctant to "dig for the liver."
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:30 pm
Italgato wrote:
Professor Hobitbob- Thank you for listing Secretary of Defense's VITA. That was quite impressive. I remembered some of his accomplishments but you reminded me there were many many more.

Just doing work you probably should have before making the lawyer salary throwaway comment.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:31 pm
Well, then, Professor Hobobit, Ridge and Ashcroft can get a partnership in a big law firm and make 600 G a year.

Powell can and will earn far more than that with lecutures and a book or two--After that, the chancellorship of a large University.

Maybe Rumsfeld will go back to Pharmaceuticals.

Lots of money in the CEO positions there. But I am sure he already has all he needs.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:34 pm
Italgato wrote:

Powell can and will earn far more than that with lecutures and a book or two--After that, the chancellorship of a large University.

And his qualifications for that would be...?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:37 pm
eviscerate
v.t. disembowel; divest of strength and force. evisceration, n.

© From the Hutchinson Encyclopaedia.
Helicon Publishing LTD 2000.

I guess one could say that. Rumsfeld certainly looked constipated at the end of the interview.
And, of course, if he can't take the heat, get him out of the kitchen.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:44 pm
mamaj, A rhetorical hanging for these bastards is not good enough!
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 12:09 am
Dear Professor Hobitbob:

Colin Powell's Autobiography was far more interesting than Hillary Rodham Clinton's hysterical, overdefensive, incomplete, scribble.

Do you really think that Colin Powell wouldn't be able to corral at least DOUBLE the huge lecture fees that Madeline Halfbright is getting?

Please, Dear Professor- some perspective.

I hope I will be able to report Powell's huge fees to you in 2005.

Cheers- Professor
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 07:41 am
Italgato wrote:
Dear Professor Hobitbob:

Colin Powell's Autobiography was far more interesting than Hillary Rodham Clinton's hysterical, overdefensive, incomplete, scribble.

Tsk Tsk Italgato why the snotty and snide Professor in front of Hobitbobs'name...that's not conducive to civilized debate...I thought we talked about this kind of thing yesterday......and btw don't you think it would be more appropriate to write IN MY OPINION Colin Powell's autobiography is more interesting and don't you think it would be more appropriate to write IN MY OPINION Hillary Clinton's biography is hysterical overdefensive etc.?

Surely you don't consider your statements the be all end all and unrefutable facts of the matter do you? Because then why wouldn't you be President? Very Happy

PS Fascinating how out of nowhere and out of context Hillary Clintons' name was just dropped into the conversation....you know I've read that kind of random attack somewhere else.....hmmmmm....let me think about that.......
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 08:08 am
Well, gee whiz Bi-P - I wonder where that could have been.

Quote from Rumsfeld in today's New York Times:

According to Rumsfeld "I don't believe it's our job to reconstruct the country," apparently not taking into account the 13 billion dollars in Bush's budget request for the help in restoring the electrical and water systems in Iraq. And Powll, in addressing lawmakers yesterday, warned not to expect large financial contributions from allies. saying they were suffering from "donors' fatigue." In the same vein, Wolfowitz, on Tuesday, said allies so far have pledged (only) 2 billion dollars. (What allies are they talking about? Rumsfeld's list of 49, 90, whatever figure pops up at the moment includes places like Latvia, the Maldives, Bulgaria)

p://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/11/international/middleeast/11MILI.html

Add this to the ever-increasing jobless rate, the unmentioned health care crisis, the growing trade deficit, the burgeoning national deficit - what's left? The Patriot Act, which Bush is now touting vigorously.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:02 am
Rummy may already be back in pharmeceuticals -- he looked like he was on something during that Lehrer interview.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:05 am
Mr. Bear:

You are hereby informed that Hobibit IS a professor.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:10 am
Mr. Bear:

I always called my teachers in University professors. Oh, I shouldn't say always. There was one exception. He was a person from Puerto Rico, who although he was supposed to have had a degree, was the most annoying man I have ever met. He went to school in Newark which, as you may know. Mr. Bear, is one of the worst places in the USA.

But I will continue to call Professor Hobibit- Professor, if you don't mind.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:12 am
Some of the left wingers on this post appear to be concerned about the activities of the Secretary of Defense, Mr. Rumsfeld.
That concern can be alleviated if President Bush is defeated on Nov. 2, 2004.

That is why they should contribute to the Howard Dean Campaign. I have.
0 Replies