What About Harold Ford Jr?

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 05:00 pm
Would he be a good VP? I'm not familiar with his stand on everything, but from when I have heard him speak he seems on target with my views.

Or would he not survive the vetting for some reason?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 969 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:51 pm
Re: What About Harold Ford Jr?
squinney wrote:
Would he be a good VP? I'm not familiar with his stand on everything, but from when I have heard him speak he seems on target with my views.

Or would he not survive the vetting for some reason?

I actually like the guy and would prefer him in the Oval Office to Obama, but are you really so naive or simply disingenuous?

What is the chance that Obama will choose an African-American (male or female) for his running mate?

I guess you still believe he's a New Politician.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 12:46 am
Who???
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 11:49 pm
Mame wrote:
Who???

Obama????

Octavious????

Van Gough????

LaRouche????
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 08:06 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What is the chance that Obama will choose an African-American (male or female) for his running mate?

What if he chose Colin Powell? According to a recent poll, he is the favorite VP pick of both parties.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 09:14 am
Yeah, that's the only black person I can imagine Obama selecting (Powell), IF Powell would be willing. It'd be interesting, to be sure -- not least for the implied rebuke to McCain -- but I'm not wild about it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 09:48 am
Naive, Finn?

Nah. But if we aren't to pay attention to skin color for president, I would think that would apply to vice as well.

Looking further I imagine Ford is a bit "right" for Obama, although that might be unifying. They do seem to differ on several issues, but again that might be a good balance. The vice doesn't really get to decide the agenda anyway... Or, uh, didn't used to.

Powell I would go for. At he least he seems to have a conscience as compared to the rest that stayed on with this administration. Would give some balance to the ticket of military and age/ wisdom. I REALLY doubt either candidate would select Powell since his image and reputation would, IMO, dwarf both of them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 09:57 am
Powell would be a killer choice!
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 09:58 am
Sorry but Powell lost much of his shine when he helped Bush start the iraq war. Being honest after the fact dosent excuse the bad decisions he made in the Bush administration. He was and is a good men but can you really trust him to do the right thing if he is pressured?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:03 am
I trust him to do what he thinks is the right thing...
but those voters whose only Obama drawback is experience in foreign policy (or really all experience shortfalls) would be sewn up by a Powell Veep selection-- (and these people would generally lean centrist). I think if the general Democrat/centrist pool holds on through enhanced Bush policies, preferred expanded death penalty and restriction of gay rights---the choice of Powell can't dissuade them.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:52 am
A thread about Harold Ford devolves into a discussion supposing a choice of a black politician (as if we have to choose just one).

Harold Ford is not at all similar in policy, temperament or character to Obama (or Powel or Rice).

This is a ridiculous discussion.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:56 am
For the record... I equate Harold Ford with Joe Lieberman. I hold these two men with the same level of esteem.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 02:43 pm
Plus, Ford lost his run for the Senate. That seems to make him less than a stellar choice.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 01:32 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

What if he chose Colin Powell? According to a recent poll, he is the favorite VP pick of both parties.

What if he does?

In part it is about two blacks on the same ticket, and therefore it will NEVER happen.

Obama can (but never will) choose Powell or even Sowell, but it will not improve his chances of being elected.

Is this A-OK? Not at all, but it does reflect current reality

I'm all for Obama selecting another African-American as a running mate, but then I want him to lose.

I'm willing to bet a year's salary that Obama will not select a "black" person as a running mate.

Harold Ford's a good guy, but he is perceived as "black."

True believers of Barrack , might expect him to eliminate race from his decision on his running mate, but he won't.

He will never select a black as a running mate.

If he does, I will vote for him and (more importantly for a Texas voter) I will contribute to his campaign.

I will also pay takers of my bet my annual salary, while expecting them to pay to me an amount equivalent to their annual salary when they lose.

No one is going to get rich in this exchange because no one is going to take me up on this bet, and should someone do so, the chances are excellent that they will welch when the time to pay up comes do.

But you can get rich (by definition of Obama and the Democratic Party), if I have to give you a year's worth of my salary (note that I am not betting a year's worth of my entire compensation).

So have at it!

When Obama selects a black (and I will not quibble about percentages of "black" blood and conventionally accept 50% or more as "black,) I will send a very big check to those who take the bet.

Should you accept the bet, however, I expect to receive your check when Obama picks, as a running mate, someone we can all agree is not "black."

If you have the balls to explore the terms of such a wager...come see me.
0 Replies