Hobbies and Interests are the Next Workforce "Age"

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 07:03 am
Quote:
Strangest Jobs in the Travel Industry

Chasing monkeys, traipsing through sewers, or clamping down on sandwich-eaters. It's all in a day's work for our 10 favorite odd jobs in travel.
From July 2008

By Katrina Brown Hunt

If you've ever harbored dreams of breaking into the travel business but weren't sure how to find your niche, here's a tip: invest in a falcon.

We searched the globe for the most offbeat jobs in the travel industry, and strangely enough, falconers and their birds of prey are some of the biggest clutch players of the travel world. A falconer in Santa Barbara, for instance, keeps pesky seagulls from invading the Four Seasons' pool. Falconers are also working hard in Italy to keep pigeons from freckling monuments with their droppings. And at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport, there's a robotic hawk to scare birds away from planes.

In fact, many offbeat travel-industry jobs involve keeping Mother Nature at bay. Zürich Airport takes its anti-bird agenda to a cutthroat level: the airport employs

People with ingenuity, and even a little quirky passtime interest in something strange can turn it into cash.

On NPR aweek or so ago, they were talking about the future workforce in America. The opinion was that the next "age" involves entrepeneurship and hobbies / talents / interests. They said we no longer have a workforce that believes in going to college, getting a career in your degree field and sticking with it for fifty years as our parents and grandparents did. The benefits, retirement security and job security is no longer there, and the generations now entering the workforce recognize this.

There are some interesting "jobs" mentioned in the article above.

I'm sure we can think of other ideas to add here. Do you have an interest, hobby or talent that could be worth big bucks or know someone that does?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 753 • Replies: 2
No top replies

squinney

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 07:24 am
Ah, I did find it... here's the link to the NPR discussion.

Generation Y Makes Its Own Career Rules

Quote:

Just as it has been predicted that as the baby boomers age there would be a huge demand for related products and services, I would imagine the "green" field is wide open for this generation.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 12:36 pm
I'm very lucky that my hobby/talents/interests coincide with decent job.
0 Replies