What should I do in Salem?

bored

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:03 pm
I am going to Salem this Saturday to take my sister for her birthday. Neither of us have been except for fifth grade field trips and taking our older sister to her dorm at Salem State. (Okay, okay, I've been Harbor Sweets too).

But what are the can't miss fall touristy things to see in Salem? And is it worth it to get my tarot done or are they shams?

(Thanks Cass for sending me and email. I was looking up Salem places and thought about you guys going last year.)

Hi everyone!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,687 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:21 pm
Do not miss the Peabody Museum. This is one of the world's geat museums, and its collection of maritime paintings, models, and artifacts related to New England is extensive. Whenever we find ourselves in New England we make a point of visiting the Peabody. If you don't do anything else in Salem go to the Peabody.

We've also found the House of Seven Gables an interesting little tour. Most of the stuff in circulation about Hawthorne, and the house, are pure bosh, but the house is a wonderful example of architecture from the end of the 17th century.

All of that witchcraft stuff is there as a toursit magnet. Good for a giggle, just don't take it seriously. The witchcraft museum was worth about 15 minutes of our time. Much of the Witchcraft stuff actually took place in Danbury just outside Salem, though the trials were held in Salem.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:46 pm
Which Salem do you refer to?

Alabama
Arkansas
Illinois
Indiana
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
Ohio
Oregon
Virginia
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:50 pm
I loved the cemetary. Probably the best part of that day. Walking, and talking, with Jespah in the cemetary in Salem, Mass was a real high point.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:07 pm
I loved walking around the cemetery too. Bored, I think that part of getting your cards/palms/futures read is the chance or likelihood that it'll be a total sham. Maybe that's just me.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 04:26 am
'sides from just that once, the reason for Salem is to be on the way to Marblehead...
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 07:10 am
I agree wholeheartedly with Asherman's suggestions and I'd add the Witch Museum - pretty cool and historical, and is just across from Salem Common so you can sit on the grass and have a picnic lunch afterwards.

And, of course, there's also the Salem Beer Works.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 08:10 am
Sounds like some great advice so far....dont forget to browse around Pickering Wharf for shopping..and to see the REALLY tacky tourist spots...they are fun though Smile

A trip over to the willows will give you a slice of pizza and some arcade games, or you can rent a boat to go out on the harbor...although I wouldnt suggest rowing from there over to Big & Little Misery..those are nice spots to visit if you're out there on the water.

Eh...get your Tarot read if you want to spend the cash and experience it.

Trying to think of other items...but, you'll find something fabulous, Im sure.

ENJOY!
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 08:30 am
If you would like a tarot reading, I recommend The Goddess' Treasure Chest. Believing or otherwise, the women there are pretty cool.

And if you run past any Grains of Paradise or Dragon's Blood, well, I'm completely out of both.....
0 Replies

bored

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:08 am
Asherman,
I read about the Peabody Museum, I definitely think we will go there. (I think rain in the afternoon, so maybe we'll plan there for later in the day). I remember Seven Gables as a kid and I was so ridiculously bored (no pun intended). I remember thinking it was a beautiful house, but tramping through it on the tour made me feel trapped. I've aged a lot but wonder if I'd feel the same.

Codeborg,
MA, sorry. We New Englanders are very focused on ourselves sometimes. Hub of the Universe and all Smile

ehBeth,
Cemetery, that'd be great. I still have black and white film in my camera so that would be wonderful.

littlek,
I assumed as much about the tarot readers but need some guidance in my life right now!!

SealPoet,
I have a TX friend in next week, she gets to see Marblehead. This is a Salem weekend!

Sugar,
Picnic sounds perfect, but lazy me will probably waste the day away at Beer Works watching the Sox! Smile Maybe I'll stop by Goddess' but only if there is time. My sister is extremely anti-physic engery.

Quinn1,
The Willows! I remember that as a kid, taking my sister to Salem state. Pickering Wharf sounds good for a little infusion of tackiness.

thank you all, if you think of more let me know.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:14 am
Well, even if you dont go to the H7G you should go down there and go in the candy shoppe...nice old candy...yummm.
There is a pilgrim plantation...kinda like Plimoth but, different...I have never been there myself but, it might be a touristy thing to do.
I do remember visiting a home and gardens either on or off of Chestnut Street...and if you want to see some great old grand homes, thats a nice place to take a walk along.
Actually..when do they start Haunted Happenings? You might be in for some real tackiness. Smile
0 Replies

jugbo

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 12:24 pm
well, there's the capital, and the A.C. Gilbert Toy Museum and discovery village, and ... oh wait you didn't mean Oregon did you?

my bad
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:15 am
so...how was it?
Anything fun and exciting?
0 Replies

bored

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 07:02 pm
Hey!

Sorry for the late reply. Hectic week... with what who knows!! Thanks for all the help. I'll give you the rundown.

We parked at the wrong end of town but walked around there for a bit before we got oriented. (I have a broken toe... wedding injury. Bridesmaids get ALL the abuse, you know!)

We stopped by two of the cheesy little witch museums. I had fun, I remember them from when I was little. I can't see today's kids being as interested or scared as I recall being.

Also hit the Peabody Essex. We really liked it. I couldn't get out of their gift shop.

Popped into a bunch of the witchy shops. We went by the Goddess shop but the woman who does tarot wasn't in and it would be a 1/2 hour for her to get there to give a reading. My sister refused to wait. But we bought our Witch Ball there. Its pretty. Need to hang that up.

We had lunch at the Hawthorne Hotel's Tavern. It was great.

The weather was beautiful. There were a few weddings in town so it was fun to watch. It wasn't crowded. The broken toe was not terrible but made it more difficult to see everything.

We drove down to the Willows on the way home but couldn't find a parking spot and just headed home. In the car I realized I lugged my camera with me to get pictures at the cemetery... and we never went there! (dummies).

Thanks for all the suggestions. It was a great day. My niece and nephew got fun little presents and I still need to smudge my apartment with my new smudge sticks.

My TX friend didn't get to go to marblehead because she was dying to go on a Whale Watch, which was wonderful. Thanks hurricane Isabel!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 11:55 am
Glad to hear it went well..injury and all Smile
0 Replies