The Beltway elite; so very far removed from us...

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 10:41 pm
Although at first glance Sen. Obama is far too left for me to support, I'm actually going to consider voting for him this Nov. First, I want to hear what he has to say once he does not have to pander to the base of his party (like the repubs, the dems are controlled by their most zealous of wingnuts); I'm anxious to hear him address normal America in the general election.

Second, I've come to realize over the years that those in Washington have lost all sense of reality about the rest of the country. This was most apparent with the death of the political commentator, Tim Russert.

After a feeling of disbelief of how the media was treating his death, I finally ran across this excellent article:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2008/06/lessons-of-the.html

It's a blog from the TV reporter from the Orlando Sentinel; guy basically says MSNBC and the networks went way overboard covering Russert's death.

And I agree. When did the people reading the news and commenting on politics become bigger than the story itself? They truly feel the sun rises and sets on Washington, and what they have to say about it.

The bureaucrats, the politicians, the media; they have not become bigger than life, but they certainly feel they have.

And I'm starting to like the first term guy who has only been there a couple of years...

I just hope he stays away from the "professionals" who will "guide" him as to the ways of Washington...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 554 • Replies: 4
No top replies

TilleyWink

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 02:22 am
Beltway elite who are they? I read about them and hear people talk about them but I do not know who these elites are.

Tim Russert was a favorite of mine. He was good at nailing down the facts as well as anyone can when talking to a pol. At times he was relentless in his pursuit of an answer.

I think coverage of his death by his colleagues is excessive but they run the news and information broadcasts and they get to say do what they want about Russert. We have the absolute write not to read about him or listen to programs in which he is discussed. That seems fair to me.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:29 pm
Re: The Beltway elite; so very far removed from us...
A Lone Voice wrote:

And I'm starting to like the first term guy who has only been there a couple of years...

I just hope he stays away from the "professionals" who will "guide" him as to the ways of Washington...

Interesting. With your same thoughts, I came to the conclusion that anyone who has "only been there a couple of years" is an upstart and won't get anything done with the government as it works.

Each election is becoming like a bad vacation in that rather than admit the accomodations are lousy, we rationalize that this was nicer than that. Does anyone remember when Ike really got the Korean Conflict ended? He was a Republican. Where are the Ike's?

Is the dirty little secret that we, the voting public, don't get the quality of candidate to choose from in either primaries or general elections that we once got? Be that as it may, I'll vote for McCain, since his patriotism is in his genes, from a family that didn't leave him for a grandmother to raise. Forget race; doesn't anyone respect social class anymore?
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:09 pm
Quote.....from a family that didn't leave him for a grandmother to raise. Forget race; doesn't anyone respect social class anymore?...... Un quote

Who the hell you gunna vote for then???? Queen of England Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:36 pm
anton bonnier wrote:
Quote.....from a family that didn't leave him for a grandmother to raise. Forget race; doesn't anyone respect social class anymore?...... Un quote

Who the hell you gunna vote for then???? Queen of England Rolling Eyes

No. Obviously McCain, who comes from a distinguished military family. One-hundred percent patriotic American.
0 Replies