Dry Drowning

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 05:46 am
I never heard of this in my life! I want to make sure all my family, friends, and even those that are not friends know about this so they won't ever have to live what this mother had to live.

Parents should learn everything they can about Dry Drowning.

Boy's death highlights a hidden danger: Dry drowning

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24982210/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,588 • Replies: 10
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 05:50 am
Hmmm,

I have a question...Can adults Dry Drown too or just kids. I think they might too. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:01 am
I don't see why it wouldn't happen to adults too. The Wikipedia article on Dry Drowning has a much wider definition of it and those would certianly cover adults as well.

Nasty stuff...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:14 am
Had I known that when my kids were young and of "pool ages" when the pool was THE place for kids to be , and a family membership at a local pool was the best investment for a bored kids summer vacation, Id probably have hung each kid by their ankles as soon as they came home in order to "drain" their lungs.

Goddam, ignorance is certainly a blessing.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:53 am
That's great...one more thing to worry about. How do you keep that from happening? I understand to recognize the signs...sheesh.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:42 am
mismi wrote:
That's great...one more thing to worry about. How do you keep that from happening? I understand to recognize the signs...sheesh.

Thats a good question mismi. Sometimes things happen to kids, and they won't share it with their parents. For example, a kid might drink too much water in a pool or beach, and might be afraid to tell their parent because of fear of not been allowed in the pool again.

When I go out with my nephews and nieces I'm always watching them especially in the pool or the beach. Thats all we can do really.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 11:32 am
I don't know if I should have read this - I can see it now - every night after my kids had been to a pool or beach, I'm thinking they seem tired, they are more cranky than usual and then rush them to the hospital.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 07:42 pm
Today we went to the pool. We came back in and one of the twins was making this crazy noise. I kept asking him what he was doing and he said his throat was sore. So I looked at it - it seemed fine. All I could think of was "Dry Drowing". He has not seemed sleepy and has been running around like a little nut - so I do not think that is it...but now I am afraid to put him to bed.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 04:10 am
As a diver I have learned about accidents in the pool and the fact that EVERY accident in the pool that involves inhaling water needs medical attention.

However, after reading this story, I am not sure, if this really was a case of dry drowning.
The definition I have of dry drowning is 'no inhalation of water', but cardiac arrest caused by an irritation of a certain nerve near the larynx.

This child seems to have had (fresh) water in his lungs, which means his blood gets thinner, the red blood cells swell and burst, causing an electrolyte imbalance, which can lead to ventricular fibrillation and death, even up to 24 hours after the event.

It probably does not make much of a difference to the mother now, though!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:40 am
mismi wrote:
Today we went to the pool. We came back in and one of the twins was making this crazy noise. I kept asking him what he was doing and he said his throat was sore. So I looked at it - it seemed fine. All I could think of was "Dry Drowing". He has not seemed sleepy and has been running around like a little nut - so I do not think that is it...but now I am afraid to put him to bed.

That is exactly what I am afraid of - must have been hard to sleep - I would imagine a sleepless night, with frequent visits to check.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:43 am
yep - but he is fine. See? I will be killing myself and not enjoying the pool nearly as much. Totally sucks. Though I would never want something like what happened to that little boy to happen to mine...that is a real live horror movie. I guess it is good to know the symptoms though.
0 Replies