Jesus wept.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:22 am
Work on Texas GOP's platform stirs passions

Quote:

The GOP platform will be presented today to the full convention. Like all platforms, it's a statement of principle and a political document to rally the troops.

In this, a presidential year, it advocates prayer in school, getting out of the United Nations, teaching intelligent design with evolution in science classes, repealing of the minimum wage, declaring illegal immigrants criminals and outlawing abortion with no exceptions.

"Hallelujah!" said a delegate who had urged strong anti-abortion language.

The platform calls homosexuality contrary to "the unchanging truths" ordained by God. It opposes gay marriage, civil unions and the custody of children by gays.

Glenn Sheblaton of Coppell, whose family fled communism, called for language to withdraw American troops from Iraq, saying, "You can't impose democracy from the barrel of a gun."

The committee disagreed.

"There is no substitute for victory!" the platform says in supporting the Bush administration's war on "radical Islamist terrorists in Iraq, Afghanistan and other countries around the world."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,119 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Mame

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:29 am
Good grief. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 01:58 pm
Those nutty Texas Republican do this every year.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 04:59 pm
Yep. Same old same old. Something to get the rank and file stirred.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:03 pm
Why is Texas like that?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:16 pm
Hell; I'm Texan, and I don't know.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 04:02 pm
http://www.rayburnrvhideout.com/images/linkimages/traveltexas.JPG
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 04:14 pm
We can only hope that there are enough folks in Texas who don't subscribe to this type of agenda to see it for what it is and vote otherwise.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:40 pm
Texas has produced some very good and memorable people. Lloyd Benson, Barbara Chisolm, and Ann Richards, as instances. Chris Bell, who recently lost a bid to be governor, also comes to mind.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:24 pm
And my Hubby, edgar!

You're right of course, but sometimes the mindset just slays me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:35 pm
Eva wrote:
And my Hubby, edgar!

You're right of course, but sometimes the mindset just slays me.

Many times, Texas embarrasses me. But, when you look at the rest of the world, the other parts can be equally nasty.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:50 pm
I have many heroes, but southerners who have fought against prejudice are among my all time heroes becuase they had the courage to go up against their neighbors to do the right thing.

They didn't 'drive to Selma to help blacks register to vote," they live there and other places like it. They are the ones who risk their lives everyday, who live their morals and principles despite being despised for their refusal to follow the "general, agreed upon line."

So yeah, Texas is an ugly mix with more who are bigots rather than those who are enlightened, but the ones who fight bigotry and prejudice are true heroes. Thank heaven a few of the good ones live in Texas, where they are most needed. Like Edgar and PDiddie and others, whose names I can't remember--age, senility, whatever you want to call it, has taken over my poor mind.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:55 pm
When I traveled a bit, I got to hear a minister in New York City, who admonished the whites among the audience to teach their own people civil rights, since they need it most. And I took it to heart. I don't walk around the streets waving a sign that says RPENT. But, I do step up against predjudice when possible.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:24 pm
The movie, To Kill a Mockingbird, was one of many that made me realize the meaning of true courage.
0 Replies