Never, Ever Trust the French

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:28 am
Foofie wrote:

As a believer in the truths of sociology to make us what we are...

can you explain what you mean by this?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:32 am
Agreement on external issues - particularly those of only theoretical and remote import - is not a prerequisite or precondition for friendship, happiness or any form of meaningful satisfaction in a connection with another person. Despite this, the norm for human behavior is to let it become so, and almost always unnecessarily.

In this strange world of A2K, where all we exchange is information, opinion and argument, and where few of the other more important aspects of human experience intrude, it is even more difficult to maintain a wise perspective on these matters. The result usually is expressions of emotion that so far exceed any rational proportion to the, usually trivial, matters under dispute, as to defy understanding - or belief. I'm not blaming anyone in particular for this - we all have succumbed to it often enough. Perhaps my only virtue here is that I don't have a dog in the fight; any "virtue" I might claim is merely the circumstantial absence of temptation.

I have never learned anything from the applause of others. I have, however, benefitted from encounters with people who tend to see and assess things differently from the way I do, and often from those who merely reach a different conclusion. Since information and opinion is all we have to exchange here, I suggest that this should more often than not be a guide for our reactions to each other.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:36 am
Who's been to Paris?

I have.

Who's gone gaga eyed over the beautiful pastries in the patisserie windows?

Ever taste french pastry? Yuck. How can something so beautiful have so little flavor? Never trust 'em.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:41 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Just that our socialization (in society) has an equal (likely greater) effect on our behavior than psychological principles (defense mechanisms, coping mechanisms, the old ego, id, and superego, etc., etc.).

While many Americans like hotdogs at a ballgame, some Europeans, in my opinion, make a fetish out of their cuisine, as though they are waving their national flag. Just one example.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:45 am
Foofie wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Just that our socialization (in society) has an equal (likely greater) effect on our behavior than psychological principles (defense mechanisms, coping mechanisms, the old ego, id, and superego, etc., etc.).

While many Americans like hotdogs at a ballgame, some Europeans, in my opinion, make a fetish out of their cuisine, as though they are waving their national flag. Just one example.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:46 am
I see. Yes, that makes sense. I was just confused by the word 'truths'.

That's what makes life beautiful, to me anyway. we're all brought up differently, but are indeed all human under our skin. And the baguettes or hot dogs or pierogis make no difference to how we feel sadness, joy, love... exactly the same way all around the world.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:51 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Agreement on external issues - particularly those of only theoretical and remote import - is not a prerequisite or precondition for friendship, happiness or any form of meaningful satisfaction in a connection with another person. Despite this, the norm for human behavior is to let it become so, and almost always unnecessarily.

Well, with this attitude, you might one day be Canonized.

This is the exact reason I have meaningless acquaintences, rather than meaningful friendships. Why waste time with a person, if one has few things in common with that person, especially important things.

I guess your thinking has allowed many Hindus to have contented arranged marriages?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:59 am
dagmaraka wrote:

That's what makes life beautiful, to me anyway. we're all brought up differently, but are indeed all human under our skin. And the baguettes or hot dogs or pierogis make no difference to how we feel sadness, joy, love... exactly the same way all around the world.

All being human under our skin is a cute platitude, but in my alienated opinion, a non-sequitor. It's our thoughts that count. If we could read minds, I believe many of us would spend our days feeling insulted by those we passed in the street.

Very few of us are thick skinned, so to speak, and that's why many people react defensively for the slightest reason (or miscontruing something to be offensive). So, if you can appreciate the human stew, I applaude your strong constitution. I believe in treating everyone civilly, but that doesn't mean I have to appreciate them on any level.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:59 am
Foofie wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Well, with this attitude, you might one day be Canonized.

This is the exact reason I have meaningless acquaintences, rather than meaningful friendships. Why waste time with a person, if one has few things in common with that person, especially important things.

I guess your thinking has allowed many Hindus to have contented arranged marriages?

George,

Suffer, my friend, from your heartless and mean-spirited, meaningless acquaintances. Twisted Evil

But enjoy other posters comments:

Dagmar wrote:
And the baguettes or hot dogs or pierogis make no difference to how we feel sadness, joy, love... exactly the same way all around the world.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:05 am
I don't think canonization is a likely prospect, but this understanding has indeed helped me a great deal in business, professional, and leadership situations. I actually try hard to place peopple, who think differently than I do and who have strengths where I have weaknesses, around me in my professional life, and it has helped a great deal.

How it may help others, Hindi or otherwise, is something for them to decide. I recommend it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:05 am
Foofie wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

All being human under our skin is a cute platitude, but in my alienated opinion, a non-sequitor. It's our thoughts that count. If we could read minds, I believe many of us would spend our days feeling insulted by those we passed in the street.

Very few of us are thick skinned, so to speak, and that's why many people react defensively for the slightest reason (or miscontruing something to be offensive). So, if you can appreciate the human stew, I applaude your strong constitution. I believe in treating everyone civilly, but that doesn't mean I have to appreciate them on any level.

Actually, many many people are indeed what you call 'thick skinned'. I have good friends from all continents, many countries. Nationality doesn't change what kind of people they are.

That said, you feel differently. To each his own, there is no one right way.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:09 am
Francis wrote:

I'll gladly have a baguette or a "great looking yet tasteless French pastry" with you when I'm in France next. Soon!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:12 am
I think I can provide a tasty one, Dag! Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:19 am
I love french food, but french pastry is like eating paste.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:21 am
Francis wrote:
Dagmar wrote:
nd, from your heartless and mean-spirited, meaningless acquaintances. Twisted Evil

But enjoy other posters comments:

Dagmar wrote:
And the baguettes or hot dogs or pierogis make no difference to how we feel sadness, joy, love... exactly the same way all around the world.

Your point is taken Francis, but I don't really suffer at all - and neither, I think, do you. Cool

Dagmar is, of course, absolutely right, and the truth she expressed remains remarkably fresh every time we encounter it.

I don't think he expressed it well, but I do believe Foofie has a point, and I am willing to to make an effort to understand it.

I have in the past been careless with friendships, relationships and acquaintances. However, as I live I learn to value them more.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:22 am
cjhsa wrote:
I love french food, but french pastry is like eating paste.

Oooh, I know, I know! Don't eat it!

I agree, George, I think I understand foofie's socialization point and agree with it... not with what to do with such knowledge, there we differ, but I can agree with the theory part.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:24 am
Well, your "Salomonic" efforts are wasted, George.

But I was told the same two days ago.. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:27 am
Francis wrote:
Well, your "Salomonic" efforts are wasted, George.

But I was told the same two days ago.. Twisted Evil

By whom??

We shall see if they were wasted, ... or not. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:33 am
georgeob1 wrote:
By whom??

I have some meaningful acquaintances, you know? Cool
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:58 am
Well you certainlt do have that ! :wink:

If it's Calamity, I'll just surrender quickly.
0 Replies