Never, Ever Trust the French

Foofie

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 02:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
It is appalling to me how ignorant Americans are of the world's history, and even more appalling in how they show it.

Listen your Lordship of world history, many Americans study our U.S. Civil War (or War of Northern Aggression) with the same nuanced knowledge you display in world history. Many Americans just study American history in general, and might leave world history somewhere where they left it in high school. SO WHAT! Your umbrage over the supposed ignorance of Americans relative to world history can be misconstrued as based on some degree of intellectual snobbery. But then again you are Your Lordship (of world history).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:34 am
Actually, JoefromChicago is the acknowledged King of History at this site.

Your response is rather pathetic and puerile. Were i to go on the evidence i've seen online, i'd have to say that Americans are equally as ignorant of the history of the American Civil War as they are the history of the world in general. Believing in historical myths and fairy tales about Lee or Grant doesn't constitute "nuanced knowledge."

I don't give a rat's ass if you or anyone else thinks i'm a snob. Is O'George a snob because he possesses and posts expert knowledge on the energy industry? Is Farmerman a snob because he possesses and post expert knowledge on geology? Is Brandon a snob because he possesses and posts expert knowledge on physics?

As for the relative value of historical knowledge, knowing a good deal of minutiae about the American Civil War may be entertaining, but it isn't like to serve you in the contemporary world beyond a slight and increasingly out-of-date perspective on the political differences between Southerners and Northerners.

On the other hand, understanding world history, even superficially, might give one a few clues as to why things happen as they do when administrations such as the current one bumble along stupidly.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:37 am
Intellectualism is fine until the snob factor kicks in, and if they lose sight of reality, which is often displayed here on A2K.

Way too many folks trying to adorn the building before the concrete is dry.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:44 am
There is no greater disconnect from reality, Tinkerbell, than is displayed by the ravening idiots of the right who seem to think American militarism can solve all the world's problems. This is never more apparent than when rightwingnuts (whether here or in France) believe such stupidities as that Muslims in France are problem simply because they are Muslims. You're a prime example of these sorts of stupid and often racist attitudes.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:03 am
You been to mosque lately fatass?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:04 am
I don't subscribe to any organized religion, Tinkerbell. Have you been to a mosque lately?

No, don't bother to answer . . . if you claimed you had, i'd just assume you were telling another of your frequent lies . . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:06 am
I only visit mosques to case the joint, lardass.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:08 am
Set sent me his picture awhile back.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/cptnewo/fat20man20at20computer.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:35 am
Sadly, such passes as reasoned debate among cjhsa's kind.

Even were Set fat, at least he's grown UP.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:41 am
Set is hardly grown up. Grown out, maybe.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:02 am
So shiksa what's the word on your super patriot all american hero Nugent who crapped his pants just to avoid the draft, does he still crap his pants?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:04 am
You really enjoy embellished news stories that get passed around the Internet, don't you Dys? Do you watch FOX News?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:21 am
cjhsa wrote:
You really enjoy embellished news stories that get passed around the Internet, don't you Dys? Do you watch FOX News?
Yes of course I do, I also watch Lou Dobbs and scan My Weekly reader daily. Doesn't everyone prefer fair and balanced, especially when dealing with Ted?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:36 am
Go ahead and Google it all you want.

"the (Detroit) Free Press was unable to verify his draft status."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 11:24 am
Setanta wrote:

On the other hand, understanding world history, even superficially, might give one a few clues as to why things happen as they do when administrations such as the current one bumble along stupidly.

Your Lordship, I beg to disagree in a small way. While history can help to explain "why things happen as they do," many people's posts reflect a personal preference as to how the world should be, in their respective humble opinion. So, knowing world, country, state, county, town, or street history, has real limitations to dealing with posts on the forum that do not reflect one's own humble opinion. Let's not empower this little corner of cyberspace with world shaking effects.

And, even knowing world history can just lead to several theories as to cause and effect. For example, why is Israel supposedly considered a formidable military adversary for its neighbors? How does one intelligently weave together all the history from the late 19th century Russian Zionists, the Balfour Declaration, through the Holocaust, through the several wars of a fledgling nation, through military aid from western powers, to arrive at a CORRECT ANALYSIS? It's more than just facts for an advanced placement exam. It's intelligence for an essay question. Knowing facts don't make one analytical. And then there's the reality that all the facts are not at our disposal. Some facts remain classified, or are dissimulated for posterity. So, history becomes less of a science than an art, I believe.

But, then again Your Lordship you may have the truth to all world events. My humble apologies.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 12:33 pm
Foofie wrote:
[Knowing facts don't make one analytical.

You are the living example.

And, again, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 05:16 pm
I don't often agree with Foofie, but I don't think he is either stupid or ill informed. Quite the contrary.

Some positions taken by some posters here are inherently wrong and hateful - such as, prominently, the topic of this thread. However it isn't either necessary or beneficial for the sane, rational participants here to argue these extreme issues at all - indeed few of us do.

Beyond that, I don't understand why so many feel obliged to confuse emotions or any personal feelings with reasoned disagreement on any of the lesser issues we do argue about here.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:27 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I don't often agree with Foofie, but I don't think he is either stupid or ill informed. Quite the contrary.

Let me disagree openly with you here, George.

You either didn't read some of his posts or didn't understood them or you didn't care, in order to make such an assertion.

He would twist any bit of common knowledge in order to make the world fit his views.

Had I to choose between them, I'd prefer cjsha, who is plain and simple, and only moved by hatred.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:29 am
parmi les aveugles....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:13 am
. . . a one-eyed man . . .
0 Replies