Never, Ever Trust the French

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:25 am
Foofie wrote:
Your Lordship, I beg to disagree in a small way. While history can help to explain "why things happen as they do," many people's posts reflect a personal preference as to how the world should be, in their respective humble opinion. So, knowing world, country, state, county, town, or street history, has real limitations to dealing with posts on the forum that do not reflect one's own humble opinion. Let's not empower this little corner of cyberspace with world shaking effects.

I've not "empowered" anything, and had not for a moment suggested that this or any other "little corner" of cyberspace can shake the world. Your snide tone and snotty condescension don't alter the fact that ignorance of world history can lead people into other forms of ignorance, such as the motivations people in other parts of the world respond to.

And that was the point of my post, Your Snideness--i did not for a moment suggest that a knowledge of world history would make anyone here a significant player in international events. My remarks were directed at comprehension--something you show precious little of, especially when you're pontificating based on your crackpot and fantastic version of history.

Quote:
And, even knowing world history can just lead to several theories as to cause and effect. For example, why is Israel supposedly considered a formidable military adversary for its neighbors? How does one intelligently weave together all the history from the late 19th century Russian Zionists, the Balfour Declaration, through the Holocaust, through the several wars of a fledgling nation, through military aid from western powers, to arrive at a CORRECT ANALYSIS? It's more than just facts for an advanced placement exam. It's intelligence for an essay question. Knowing facts don't make one analytical. And then there's the reality that all the facts are not at our disposal. Some facts remain classified, or are dissimulated for posterity. So, history becomes less of a science than an art, I believe.

I haven't said that knowing facts makes one analytical. One need look no further that the BS you serve up to know that. However, knowing no facts is a ready prescription for understanding nothing. I will concede, however, that the examples from what you regularly post suggest to how great an extent a little knowledge (and in your case, a strong emphasis on "little") is a dangerous thing. The confusion about the sequence and significance of events which is evident in your posts strongly reinforces that old saw about a little knowledge. So, for example, the Balfour Declaration stated that Britain's government favored the establishment of a Jewish homeland in Palestine, but specifically stated this shouldn't harm existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine.

I'm sure you consider yourself well-informed about the Zionists and the eventual establishment of the state of Israel. However, it will be understandable to many at this site why i would not be willing to accept that premise, given the number of times your limited knowledge and your penchant for filling gaps in your knowledge by making things up are demonstrated in the drivel you post.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:33 am
You know, i made my remark about ignorance of world history at the end of a post which responded to O'George. I've been wondering why Foofie has reacted so snidely and vehemently, given that it was not a remark addressed to him. For that matter, it's not a remark about O'George, either, although it was addressed to him.

I can only suspect that Foofie must see himself starkly in such a remark, and that that is why he chose to take offense.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:50 am
http://www.lifeinitaly.com/beauty/img/carla-bruni.jpg

Do you trust her?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:57 am
This thread isn't based on hatred, as francis opined, it's based on simple observation.

Who here thinks Bruni is a mole?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:56 am
Setanta wrote:
You know, i made my remark about ignorance of world history at the end of a post which responded to O'George. I've been wondering why Foofie has reacted so snidely and vehemently, given that it was not a remark addressed to him. For that matter, it's not a remark about O'George, either, although it was addressed to him.

I can only suspect that Foofie must see himself starkly in such a remark, and that that is why he chose to take offense.

I think you are correct in the details here Set, but I can understand - if not necessarily agree with - Foofie's reaction. You are a bit overbearing in your put downs of others, particularly in matters, like history which you enjoy and know remarkably well (defects, let me quickly add, which I share as well). Happily, your knowledge, broad understanding, and wit make it all a very good bargain for the rest of us. I have come to understand that you are a very amiable, agreeable and pleasant guy - in addition to the broad knowledge and erudition that are so quickly evident. However, it took me some time to see that (a result of my own limitations to be sure, but probably a common fault).

Foofie displays a good mind, a fairly quick wit and a somewhat unique point of view - all of which makes him very interesting to me. We persistently disagree on several matters, particularly those relating to Zionism. However, though I disagree, I can understand - and even respect - his point of view.

Francis, who I like and whose opinions I respect, sees him very differently -- apparently as representing something worse than even the raw, unembellished hatreds of cjhsa, who wrote the contemptible topic of this thread. In categorical terms, that is certainly a possibility, however, I do not believe it is the case here, and I believe the Francis' judgement is premature.

Agreement is not a prerequisite for friendship or admiration, and disagreement does not require contempt or hatred.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:47 am
cjhsa wrote:
http://www.lifeinitaly.com/beauty/img/carla-bruni.jpg

Do you trust her?

WWJBD (What Would James Bond Do)?

No response needed!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:55 am
georgeob1 wrote:

Foofie displays a good mind, a fairly quick wit and a somewhat unique point of view - all of which makes him very interesting to me. We persistently disagree on several matters, particularly those relating to Zionism. However, though I disagree, I can understand - and even respect - his point of view.

You Sir, in my opinion, give credence to the statement "a gentleman, not just by an act of congress."

What's funny, and I'd guess you can see the humor too, is that so many posters seem to believe that my Zionist postions should reflect theirs, even though I am obviously Jewish (and secular)! And perhaps like you, I will be buried in a veteran's cemetary.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:21 pm
Thank you.

Francis & Setanta are good guys too and I believe you would find the effort to discover that, gratifying.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:28 pm
Setanta wrote:

No, it was this that you wrote that I reacted to (not snidely, but just exaggerating your importance; no harm done Your Lordship), "It is appalling to me how ignorant Americans are of the world's history, and even more appalling in how they show it." I took umbrage with this quoted sentence, since included in the "Americans that you are appalled" are many that I would guess have done more in the way of service to this country than yourself. I do not like to hear Americans derided, regardless.

Perhaps, you shouldn't have cast such a wide net in your criticism. Haven't you ever heard of the old maxim, "don't bite the hand that feeds you"? And I am appalled at the level of ingratitude (towards their country and fellow citizens) amongst some citizens of this country that have enjoyed a good education.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:37 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Agreement is not a prerequisite for friendship or admiration, and disagreement does not require contempt or hatred.

I can hardly be blamed if someone infers contempt and hatred from a remark which was not addressed to and did not refer to that someone--in this case, Foofie. I don't hate anybody here, and i am contemptuous of a select few. In the case of one shooting off one's mouth, with pontifications based of phony descriptions of or silly interpretations of history, i am contemptuous of that, and nothing loathe to say as much. In this case, when i said as much, it had no reference to Foofie, but he chose to get hysterical about it. Tough titty, said the kitty . . .

If that leads Foofie to get his panties in a twist, that is not my fault and is a matter of indifference to me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:50 am
Foofie wrote:
No, it was this that you wrote that I reacted to (not snidely, but just exaggerating your importance; no harm done Your Lordship), . . .

Yeah, Your Snideness, it's snide as hell to refer to me as "Your Lordship," and to have made the other rather dull-witted comments you did in response to a comment which was not about you, and not addressed to you.

Quote:
"It is appalling to me how ignorant Americans are of the world's history, and even more appalling in how they show it." I took umbrage with this quoted sentence, since included in the "Americans that you are appalled" are many that I would guess have done more in the way of service to this country than yourself. I do not like to hear Americans derided, regardless.

Who gives a rat's ass at what you take umbrage? Your guess is typical of your habit of jumping the gun to make assumptions--about people you don't know and often about history of which you are equally ignorant. I served in the United States Army for three years, and given that this nation includes at least a couple of hundred million people who never served a day in their lives, i say f*** you and f*** your smug attitude, jackass. I don't care whether or not you like to hear Americans derided, or whether or not you consider it derision to point out someone's ignorance--that's an attitude problem of yours, and not mine.

Quote:
Perhaps, you shouldn't have cast such a wide net in your criticism. Haven't you ever heard of the old maxim, "don't bite the hand that feeds you"? And I am appalled at the level of ingratitude (towards their country and fellow citizens) amongst some citizens of this country that have enjoyed a good education.

This nations doesn't, and never has fed me. Your rhetoric is puerile and witless; which considering your typical comments, is unsurprising. Any education i "enjoyed," clown, i paid for--it wasn't handed to me. Keep your brainless comments about biting the hand that feeds you to yourself, dimwit, because the only government benefits i have ever received have been unemployment compensation, and you can bet i paid a hell of a lot more in taxes than i ever received in unemployment benefits on the two, brief occasions on which i applied, in the last 40 years.

You want to tell me just what i should feel grateful about, clown? You want to tell me what fellow citizens i should feel grateful toward? You want to explain how someone else's national service is somehow more important than my own? Your idiocy here is way over the top--Americans are ignorant of world history, and have a contemptuous attitude toward the rest of the world, and are more than willing to loudly air such attitudes in public. If you don't like me saying as much publicly, you'd better get over it on your own terms, because your whining isn't going to change my decision about doing so.

And if you don't like the tone of this response, than maybe you'd better stop sticking your nose in my business, moron. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:56 am
I find setanta's last response entirely reasonable. Put me down for some of that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:57 am
You want some of these biscuits and gravy, too, Boss?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:45 am
How many names can you call a person in one post, BFGPP?

Like my new avatar, Tinkerhellboy?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 07:04 am
I love biscuits and gravy.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:01 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I find setanta's last response entirely reasonable. Put me down for some of that.

I like and admire Setanta a great deal. However I didn't find it reasonable at all.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:07 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I like and admire Setanta a great deal. However I didn't find it reasonable at all.

His was an unreasonable reply to an unreasonable post(er).

So it's life...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:09 am
Well, they're both getting something out of it or they wouldn't keep doing it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:34 am
"Your Lordship" is a greeting of respect and deference. Where would anyone get the idea it involves "snideness"? Perhaps, because most people of European descent do not have European ancestors that were aristocracy? However, why can't one use a respectful greeting like "Your Lordship" regardless?

Also, one might think that the greeting "Your Lordship" incorporates a degree of sarcasm? That might be a thought, perhaps, if one would only use a greeting of respect and deference in a sarcastic way him/herself?

I am very happy to read that service to this country is more prevalent than I would have guessed. I salute those who have served the country in the military, or any other way.

However, regardless of any ad hominems that are directed towards me, I still believe more citizens need to be grateful to this country, and not criticize other citizens for not being of a particular standard that one sets for oneself. That's why there is a bellcurve. We all can't be on the far right hand tail of the bellcurve, yet we are all valued members of society, and should not be talked down to, in my humble opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:55 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Thank you.

Francis & Setanta are good guys too and I believe you would find the effort to discover that, gratifying.

As a believer in the truths of sociology to make us what we are, I avoid most Europeans. And, I can relate to few people, regardless of where they are from. So, I am not in the market "to discover" how "gratifying" it may be to know some people.

I prefer to have very marginal acquaintances. Acquaintanceships are really so sincere and non-meaningful in its minimal interactions.
0 Replies