X Files

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:56 am
I criticised Ripley because I thought it was a bad film, that is I didn't like it (and therefore by definition, bad!) If you ask me why...well my initial reaction was that it was American, and most bad films are produced in Hollywood. If it was a British effort, well clearly I'm wrong about that, but it doesn't change my opinion of the film.

(Which one was Jude Law btw, was he the guy with the teeeth?) - seriously, I said I don't pay much attention to film stars! Cate Blanchett was rather sweet though, I know who she is.

So why didn't I like Ripley? I thought the plot was predictable and unbelievable at the same time. Frankly I did not enjoy the homoerotic undercurrent and I thought the whole thing claustrophobic. (Maybe that was the point) And that soppy look on Ripley's face and THOSE TEETH. Ok maybe I didn't like it because I'm turning homophobic or dentophobic or something.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 03:10 pm
There'd be no film without the fact that Ripley was homosexual and I didn't find it an undercurrent at all. It was blatantly out there.

Dentophobic? That is very funny (I mean really -- what wide screen will do to an actor with a set of teeth like Matt Damon's).

Jude Law was the person who was murdered and Ripley impersonated. He was also the murdered bi-sexual in "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." It thought the impersonation was fascinating. Are you sure you weren't sipping on some of that good Bombay Sapphire Gin while watching the film, Steve? That would have made the claustrophobic Hitchcockian tension a whole lot more tightening on the skull.

I still don't know what films you do like, especially English films. Did you see "Priest" or perhaps "Trainspotting?"

I will have to agree that "Ripley" was not everyone's cup of tea as entertainment -- it was exploring some dark regions of sociopathy and that isn't pleasant.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 05:12 am
"Not everyone's cup of tea" ! Thanks LW I'll settle for that. Also thanks for info ref ownership of teeth. Its an education talking with you Laughing

I have to admit my prejudice against Hollywood's output can be fickle. There are some good films - I have a copy of LA Confidential - but its finding them amongst the dross that is so wearisome.

When I first saw Trainspotting I thought it glamourised drug taking. But having seen it several times, I think it should be compulsory viewing for all 15 year olds. Did the US version have subtitles btw?
0 Replies

The Unholy Hypocrite

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:12 am
I used to like The X Files. I was seriously disappointed with the very last episode.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:14 am
Me too, Unholy Hypocrite. I did a lot of heckling. ("Oh come ON!")
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:32 am
Steve -- the US version of "Trainspotting" relied on our being able to decipher the accents and I had no problem (must be my British blood). It is a film where the train is on a track that is circular -- going around and around and not getting anywhere. The pointlessness was the point.

The first two years of "X Files" was innovative and intriguing -- it won a well deserved Emmy. But like all ideas, the should take a hint from HBO and cut their loses before they begin copying themselves and becoming hacknyed. One more season of "The Sopranos," one more of "Sex and the City" and "OZ" is gone. Saw the first epidsode of "Carnivale" last night and it was mostly the setup of the characters and beginning of some plotlines but very well acted, well produced and well directed with an enthrallin and provocative script.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 02:22 pm
sozobe wrote:
kev, the X-Files had its good episodes and bad episodes. The best were tongue-in-cheek, with a high irony content -- the worst took themselves waaaay too seriously.

it used to be engrossing during the first 5 years then it got cheesy. I loved the chupacabra one!
0 Replies