X Files

kev

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:41 am
After a lay-off of several years I have just watched an episode of the X files, what a load of tripe this programme is, although, I understand that it gets rave reviews.

Am I the only one that thinks, ( despite it's two charismatic stars) that the X files is the most irritating, stupid, piece of crap in television history.

The episode I've just watched is where the bad guy can squeeze through spaces the size of letterboxes,( presumably he is a gynaecologist)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,214 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 06:30 am
I watched the Talented Mr Ripley last night. Another bit of American junk. If we hadn't taught them English we would not have our environment polluted in this way. Its our fault.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:35 am
kev, the X-Files had its good episodes and bad episodes. The best were tongue-in-cheek, with a high irony content -- the worst took themselves waaaay too seriously.

I liked it before it got too caught up in the conspiracy stuff, when they did real X-Files work, wandering around trying to figure out what was up with miscellaneous weirdness. Like the circus freak episode, where Scully eats a cockroach. LOVE that one.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:42 am
Kev
What American shows do you appreciate? Wink
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:46 am
Years ago I thought the X-files were sporadically cool...at the moment there be least two of us who think that way, kev. Mr. Green
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
Make that three...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:21 am
And mac used to BE Scully!!

What's with the "at the moment" stuff, though... is it still first-run overseas? Been over for a while, here. (I stopped watching after the 4th or 5th season.)
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:03 pm
Yeah it's still first run here. Don't care enough about it to know what season we're up to now, though.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:54 pm
snooze se zzz xxxxx f***
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:45 pm
Hi Husker,

There are a lot of U.S shows I think are superb, Law and Order best cop show ever, L and O Spec vics Unit, is another, why? because they have a feel of realism.

The reason the X files irritates me is that it never has a conclusion, it just doesn't go anywhere. Chris Carter came up with a real winner of an idea, but in my view then squandered it by having the series just meander about with no goal to reach for.

Same with Millenium, another cracking idea whose story just kinda wanders around but doesn't go anywhere in particular, it starts off with the skills of Frank Black being able to "see" the answers to horrific crimes that have everyone else baffled (so far so good) but ends up being a search for the holy grail, or the second coming of christ, or whatever it was that Mr. Carter was trying to convey, by this time I had completely lost all sight of the plot if indeed there ever was one.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:40 pm
Just watched Cheers now thats a class act.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:45 pm
"X Files" is one of those series one will be totally lost unless they've seen it from the beginning. They were scrimping for ideas towards the end and then it just fell over the edge.

"Cheers" is worth watching again and again because of the characters. It was very definitely a character driven show and had some of the best comic writing in television.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:48 pm
Steve, you're funny -- "The Talented Mr. Ripley" was direted by Anthony Minghella, an English director (born and educated in England).
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:43 am
Well it was still a crap film in my humble opinion Very Happy

Apart from the pretty shots of Rome and Venice.

ps I do admit to knowing next to nothing about movies, and being able to expound on a topic from a position of complete ignorance is one of the great joys in life. After all its only my opinion, and like the films ...it doesn't matter!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 01:53 pm
Interesting short critique there, Steve -- I did like the film mainly for the performances and Jude Law (another English import) did run away with the movie. It's from a novel that was based on real characters. I'm curious whether you thought the story was not to your liking? Minghella also wrote "The English Patient." What films do you think are superior efforts, either English or American?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 03:11 pm
Was that post directed to me?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 03:28 pm
Sorry, I meant Steve -- always have mixed you two up.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 04:04 pm
No problem LW I answer to most things...eventually.

I started writing a reply (and confessing my anti Hollywood bias) but am too tired. More tomorrow. g'night
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 04:22 pm
Hollywood is Hollywood is Hollywood. They've made some great films and some stinkers -- the box office is fattened by teenagers and it's not every year they can come up with something like "The Lord of the Rings" that appeals to all ages and all intellects (well, to a degree, as it does have it's share of dissenters but they are in the very small minority). My point with "Ripley" was that you criticized it for being American and that they needed more instruction from the Brits. My answer was that it is a distinctly British film without having to note that the British cinema has come up with their share of terrible films. Try to sit through "Jefferson in Paris" if you don't believe me. Or "Zardoz."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 04:27 pm
..or how about "Remains of the Fey?" ...I mean "Day."
0 Replies