Would you still apply even if the boss wants someone else?

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:02 am
There is a new vacant position in my place: deputy to the department head. I'm among those who want to apply.

However, the general feeling here is that the department head has his own preferred candidate. This feeling somehow discouraged me. I'm sure many of you were in a similar scenario once or twice. Would you still apply for the post? FYI, there will be two or three people in the interview board (including my department head himself).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 789 • Replies: 8
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:07 am
I'd still apply, although I wouldn't get my heart set on it.

The "feeling" may or may not be correct. The department head may or may not have the weight to force the issue.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:10 am
Apply. Give it your best during the interview as if you were the most viable candidate. Make them choose between you and someone else. Even if they have someone in mind, you will be the obvious best candidate the next time.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:50 pm
Apply anyway. If you don't, it's a 100% chance that you won't get the job. If you do, it's a less than 100% chance of them passing on you. I'd rather take that chance.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 02:29 pm
I agree with the people who say that you should apply. Even if you don't get THIS job, there may be someone in the group doing the interviewing who might be interested in you for another position.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 04:17 pm
Well, sure! Apply! What have you got to lose?!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 04:31 pm
Apply! The other guy could get run over by a bus...

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You could make a really good impression for another, future position. Of if this guy doesn't work out, you could be next in line.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Trite but true.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 04:35 pm
Mame wrote:
Apply! The other guy could get run over by a bus...

Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:56 am
I agree with the others - apply. 1) If there is more than one person making this decision and what you believe is true, then you do have a true shot; 2) you don't know for sure if this is the department head's true feeling/thoughts as it is simply rumor; 3) it shows you are interested and in the interview you can point out your strengths - even if you do not get the position, it will put you in a better running for future promotions.

If after the selection is made and it isn't you, schedule a follow up - if they don't already do this and discuss what you should work on in order to be promoted in the future and then work on it and keep documents of your progress.

And yes, I've been in that position several times - once I did get the promotion - sometimes true hard facts when pointed out in interview are too hard for department heads to overlook.

I've been in the other position as well. I was starting a new group and some one applied for the position I didn't expect. After meeting and interviewing him - he ended up getting the position.
0 Replies