58 US Bases in Iraq?

Foofie

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:34 am
We need many parade grounds for Iraqi troops to march to the tune of Sousa marches. Families all over Iraq need to have the opportunity to watch Iraqi troops marching and making neat "to the rear marches," and other parade ground maneuvers.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:36 am
And here I thought the important thing for Iraqi families was to have power and water supplied to their houses on a regular basis, or heck, maybe not to get blown up.

Silly me, marches and patriotism are obviously way more important then basic necessities.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:40 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
And here I thought the important thing for Iraqi families was to have power and water supplied to their houses on a regular basis, or heck, maybe not to get blown up.

Silly me, marches and patriotism are obviously way more important then basic necessities.

Cycloptichorn

Finally, we're on the same page. Yes, unite the country's people, and the rest will come in short order!
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:24 pm
Foofie" wrote:
We need many parade grounds for Iraqi troops to march to the tune of Sousa marches. Families all over Iraq need to have the opportunity to watch Iraqi troops marching and making neat "to the rear marches," and other parade ground maneuvers.

Yes, nothing like 58 American bases in Iraq to unite the Iraqi people. These will be welcomed I imagine, quite obviously, in the same way, as the invading/occupying forces were.

The degree of disconnect you have with reality is certainly astonishing to say the least.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:26 pm
It is possible that Foofie was attempting ironic sarcasm. Alas, i think the technique escapes him.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:49 pm
There was much ado about this a couple of years ago when it was reported that the bases were being built (quite lavishly) and there are threads around here somewhere about it.

I imagine the argument could be made that the ones they had were blown up by us, hence the need for new ones. But, I think the basics, without the huge pools would suffice. Course, then Brown/Root/Haliburton wouldn't be making as much off of us.

Also, in the previous threads and reports a couple of years ago, I don't recall there being any mention of the Iraqi government paying us back for them which lead to more speculation that, yes, we plan on staying a good long while.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:00 pm
I disagree with instant withdrawal. We have a duty to establish an iraq army that is able to defend itself before we withdraw. Wether we want to admit it or not we could have stopped Bushes rush to judgement. When we didn't we inherited the duty to defend The people of Iraq. Many of us read the Bush spin for what it was and pointed out all the information out there that said that Bush was spinning the facts, lieing. Obamas pontificating about I would not have voted for the Iraq "police action" is also spin. Whoever is president in the future is responsible for what went before as much as they want to deny it. Much of what is wrong with government is the fact that all politicians yearn for pauseible denyability. I didn't vote for that only means that they didn't fight hard enough for what was right. My point is that Obama isn't anything but another politician who is saying I didn't do it, it was someone elses fault. Every since the democrates have regained congress they have taken the path of least resistance. As I have stated before they are showing a lack of bal-s. They are about to reassert the spying law and let the telecommunications companies off the hook. Politics as usual.
0 Replies