Join the pool or buy a pool?

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 07:44 am
I'd go where the neighborhood/local/go-to-the-same-school kids go. Is there anyplace else at least somewhat local? Can you ask around?

Kids usually find places to swim in the summer, even in a short damp summer like Portland's.

If there's truly nothing, then maybe your own pool is the way to go (though I think ehBeth has good advice about checking into insurance costs). I kinda doubt there's nothing though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:26 am
The closest park department pool is about 5 miles away. It would cost the two of us $5.50, with Mr. B $9.00, plus a couple of bucks for gas. So let's say an average of $7.00 per visit at 1.5 hour increments.

If we went four times a week we'd be spending just about the same amount as the club pool which has more generous hours.

The club pool makes more sense than the park pool.

I don't think it's a snooty type club but I don't really know. I will certainly check it out before joining for the summer. I know there isn't an approval committee or anything like that.

Mo is really leaning towards a backyard pool and his opinion counts really big.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:33 am
Park department pools usually have some sort of a pool pass. Our local one is about the same price per visit, but a season pool pass is about $75 for a two-person family (covers me and sozlet, E.G. rarely goes). Since we go to the pool a LOT, that's way more cost-efficient.

Do you know if the neighborhood kids go to that pool, though? Moot if they don't.
0 Replies