Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 03:48 pm
primary "hellraisers" - Burton, Reed, Harris, O'Toole..

If not the first in line, I'll add to the frowns at this kind of behavior.

But a BBC article today cajoles from me memories of these guys (O'Toole alive, no?) with a certain level of endearment for their rich talents.

Sidebar to the article -

THEY DID WHAT?

Reed drank 126 pints in 24 hours

Burton can't remember filming The Clansman - he was drunk throughout

Harris often drank two bottles of vodka each day and said he loved reading the papers to find out what he had done

O'Toole severed top of his finger and reattached it himself, under influence of brandy

Reminds me, sort of, of a thread I had on Abuzz about Alcohol and Creativity. Great discussion, as I remember it, with the consensus being towards 'fuggedaboutit'.

The article does get to a sentence or two about possible links between the creative mind and susceptibility to addiction.

I dunno, I think creativity can be as much a state of mind, an exploratory way of thinking, fosterable in many different kinds of brains... but I'm not well read on all this.

Here's the article -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7438574.stm

and one of the photos -

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44722000/jpg/_44722664_burton_bbc226.jpg
"God put me on this earth to raise sheer hell"
Richard Burton
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,026 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 04:31 pm
Oh, I was immediately thinking of Richard Francis Burton. Might have been a hell raiser, but he was an interesting and productive one.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 04:46 pm
Peter O'Toole is still alive. Many years ago his doctor told him, "If you have one more drink, it will kill you." At that point O'Toole gave up drinking.
0 Replies