DIGITAL SLR's which one would you choose and why?

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 10:11 am
@farmerman,
There are links to the manuals here: http://www.ask.com/web?q=fujifilm%20owners%20manual&askid=9ce16dc0-b005-4e9d-97bb-88d6c5af77d7-0-us_gsb&kv=sdb&dqi=Fujifilm+viewfinder+digitals+%2814+meg+pxl%29+user+manual&qsrc=999&o=2830&l=dir
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 10:39 am
@boomerang,
thanx boomer. I couldnt resist these cameras. 10 of them for 5 bucks and most of them were still in a plastic wrap so maybe the folks who had the yard sale heisted them. I have no idea
boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 11:02 am
@farmerman,
What a find! I would have snapped them up too.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 11:56 pm
I just got a Nikon D90 earlier this year and am really happy with it. However, not long after I got it, I saw the specs for the D800. Pricey, but I'm stoopid enough to want it. If things work out, I'll get the D800e version later this year, early next year sometime.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:02 am
@FBM,
cameras have learnt the lesson of sequential planned obsolescence.
Increasin a cameras Mpx by 2 or 4 million is not a major advnce, Its only marketed that way.

The picture defines the photogrpher.
I know several really good photogrphers who have amassed great bodies of work using cell phones
FBM

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:39 am
@farmerman,
Agreed. Mpx count doesn't make a good photograph or a good photographer. Some of my favorite shots I took with a 6MP cam. Like this one:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5335/7052171799_6779e512d3.jpg
DSCF0060 copycut by hapkido1996, on Flickr

BUT...the crop factor does increase proportionately to the MP count, giving the shooter the opportunity to salvage something from a larger number of imperfect exposures. The main reason I'd go for the 800e is that the initial filter is removed from the camera itself. I'm not worried about moire; I want the most out of the image that I framed.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:55 am
@FBM,
there ya go.

obselescence is a manipulative thing. I bought a Pentx nd then got ito Cnons nd I love my D60 , its so smooth running and effortless. I use RAW and screw with it by having my graphics assistnt do Photoshopping for me. I direct the desired outcome and she has the Photshop skills. I never (outside of ELements) never bothered myself with Pshop "heavy".
It like printting, Im prt of the prcess but I aint cranking the wheels r applying the ink
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:55 am
@FBM,
PS, I do a lot of macro too. Im always shooting small minerals and fossils
FBM

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 06:05 am
@farmerman,
Sweet. I'd love to see some of your work. I've tried fossils, but never get anything worth saving, but macro + minerals has interested me for a long time.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 06:10 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

there ya go.

obselescence is a manipulative thing. I bought a Pentx nd then got ito Cnons nd I love my D60 , its so smooth running and effortless. I use RAW and screw with it by having my graphics assistnt do Photoshopping for me. I direct the desired outcome and she has the Photshop skills. I never (outside of ELements) never bothered myself with Pshop "heavy".
It like printting, Im prt of the prcess but I aint cranking the wheels r applying the ink

Unfortunately, I'm still a solo gig. No assistant. It's just a hobby. I switch between Elements 7, which I'm very comfortable with, and CS6, which lets me do photomerging, HDR stuff, tilt-shift, blah blah. I'll probably never make a dime off it, but wtf. A hobby is for fun, innit? Wink
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 07:06 pm
@FBM,
One of my fav tricks is to do some layering and insert some huge fields of wild ass colors . Often I will leave my point of interest in a sepia tone or black and white.

I like macro . I often do vignettes of landscapes where only some POV i a spider or Emerald adylgids (terrific green color on their thoracic segments)
FBM

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 07:18 pm
@farmerman,
Ah...good ideas! I may have to try tinkering around with PS a little more in-depth. I've only got 2 or 3 "tricks". I mostly just sharpen, crop, adjust levels, etc...
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:43 am
@FBM,
PS elements does much of the gimmicky stuff and its not a program that needs training.
My Canon 60D also hs built in manipulation software that I access once I drop the media card onto my printer (direct) or my computer (a little less intuitive so Im not the biggest fan of that).ALL art is a passion employed with discipline. PS takes away much of the intuitive nature of quick (nd often quite successful) decisions that artists make.
PS relies more on brute interative changes. I know what I want to convey in my head, the damn computer often gets in the way cause it makes me "Search" for the right tool to bring up my idea
0 Replies