On cameras

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:48 pm
What with Eastman-Kodak, arguably the best-known camera manufacturer on earth, declaring bankruptcy, I started thinking about cameras the other day.

Today, of course, it's all digital. I don't own a digital camera and am not at all sure I want one. And I kind of miss the old-fashioned kind. About the only SLRs available these days are the 'Instamatic' type throw-away pieces of junk (which still take a decent shot now and again, despite their crudeness).

In the pre-WW II years, the 1930s and into the 1940s, the gold standard was prettymuch the German-made Leica with Agfa running a close second. Kodaks -- even the sophiisticated standard SLRs, not just the junky Brownies -- were considered good but mainly aimed at the amateur, not the serious photographer who wanted more control over what the end result of his shuttering would be.

My own first camera, when I was in my early teens, was a Swedish-made Voigtlander which my parents bought for me used from a professional photographer who was downsizing his collection prior to emigrating to the USA. This was a very nice bellows-type SLR that folded up neat and flat, about the size of the original Polaroids, if you remember those. You pressed a button and the thing popped open, the bellows extending the lens assembly. This was no kiddy camera. I had to learn a little bit about the principles of photography before I could use it. Popping it open, as I have described, did not necessarily prepare it to shoot a picture that would be anything but a blur. You had to set the range, the shutter speed and the f-stop before you could hope to get a decent picture. And it helped, of course, if you knew the ASA speed of the film you were using in making these settings.

Next came the 'point-and-shoot' type of cameras (cheaper than my Voigtlander, too) and half the fun was taken out of photography. I have owned several cameras since then, but the momory of that old Voigtlander is still fresh in memory. (I had to throw it out at the last; the bellows developed a pinhole somehow leading, of course, to light pollution of the negative.)

What about you? What kind of cameras did you fancy? And what do you fancy today?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,640 • Replies: 14
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I miss the smell of photography.

I miss the shimmer of silver on paper.

I've always loved taking photos but the working in the darkroom was always my very favorite part of it -- making something from practically nothing, worrying if it was going to all work out okay.

When I was in college, every summer I would sign up for an independent study in photography which granted me my own key to the university's darkroom that I could use just about any time I wanted. I practically lived there.

I did make the jump to digital, begrudgingly, about 20 years ago. Professionally it was a godsend. Being able to immediately review the photo and check that your lighting was good and that a person hadn't blinked, or that the image was simply what I envisioned made life much easier.

It also made me much, much lazier. I knew I could change things, and fix things, and whatever, easily and cheaply. Now that I'm "retired" I'm trying to retrain myself to see again.

Right now I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000. It can do anything and everything, I use 4 functions on it: shutter, aperture, depth of field preview and focus -- the same 4 I used on my 35 year old Canon.

I have, I think, 8 cameras though.
djjd62

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:18 pm
i loved my pentax k1000
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/K1000.jpg

it got creamed falling off the back of a moving car (long story involving, nephews, loading a car with christmas stuff to take to my grandparents and just being in too much of a hurry)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:20 pm
@boomerang,
Ahh, reading that brought back more memories, boomer. The smell of the chemicals in the darkoom. The weird infra-red light. Just imagine -- there's an entire generation out there who don't know what we're talking about! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:24 pm
@djjd62,
The k1000 is a very fine camera, indeed, dj. IMO, anyway. Smile
0 Replies

PandaFan

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:40 pm
I so very much miss the darkroom s well and its been many years since Ive been in one...kinda nice idea boomerang about taking a class just to get that back even for just a little bit!!
Andrew--I've always thought having one of these would be just fabulous...maybe something new to play with would give you something of that real camera felling again..
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112648-REG/Horseman_27191_4x5_Woodman_Wood_Field.html
I have a Canon--just went full digital a couple years back. Still a little put off by it..miss film and prints a great deal.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:57 pm
@PandaFan,
Yehhh.
And then it says, right beside it, in big red letters DISCONTINUED.

Sheesh.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
on another thread, I wrote:

mine

http://www.collection-appareils.fr/yashica/images/yashica_fx2.jpg

had a tripod, zoom lens, filters, the works.
got pretty good at making adjustments for shutter speed/F-stop.
rarely had to use the flash...
http://able2know.org/topic/165994-2#post-4460337

the film advancer broke after about 20 years of me abusing the crap out of it.
it's funny just how heavy it is...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 09:55 pm
I think I used my mother's Brownie once or twice or maybe a dozen times. I had an instamatic of my own. Was given a Rolleiflex by a cameraman friend of my fathers, actually used it occasionally, but was a busy girl going to school and working.. so I gave it away (cripes!) to a friend who was fascinated by photography. I used my father's old Argus from the early 40's, which is how I learned about a lot of things, including a light meter, flash attachment too though I rarely used the attachment. That one was stolen from my first gallery studio. Grrrrr.

In the seventies, I bought a used Nikkormat, and then another one. One of them was better for my peculiar eyes re checking focus, and I now forget which was which. Those were tough old cameras. In the late nineties, I bought a Nikon N70, got to like it. I miss film, of course.

Now I have a Canon Digital G3 - it's ok, but I've only used it learning in a hurry and haven't really explored it. Meantime, in my last computer crash in 2009, I had to take the Mac to a Mac Fixer, and didn't catch on until I got around to wanting to put the photos I took on my california trip of late 2009 on my computer. Turns out that in the fixit, they had not gotten the I Photo program reinstalled, so I was out to lunch. It's a big deal for me to haul Mac to the fixit guy, in effort and in money, and I haven't figured out if I can reinstall it myself, if I need to buy that to do it. Yawn... I know I should ask this stuff at a mac type website. Yawns again.
But I would like to see those California photos.

On darkrooms - in high school I had a strange and wonderful job taking mini xrays at the local hospital, and part of that was developing the film. A dark room is especially dark for me, as I have wildly slow dark adaption (crummy rods - I didn't know I had RP then). But I got to like developing the little xrays in my groping way.

Decades later, I used a local photography shop's dark room, which you could rent out for an hour. That's when I learned to love watching a picture happening. Never had my own darkroom. My ambition along those lines was that I once wanted to own an etching press, which even then was horrendously expensive, but that's another story - printmaking is fun too.
0 Replies

PandaFan

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:11 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Well..it doesnt have to be that EXACT one. Lets see....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/215896-REG/Wista_214606_45DX_Ebony_4x5_Wooden.html
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:32 pm
@PandaFan,
WOW!

And it's only $4,288!

But it is a beauty.
PandaFan

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Okay, we've established you like it anyway.
You can certainly go with a less beautiful version and then not feel so bad dragging through the palms or something....
http://www.adorama.com/HMW45.html
Just in case you decide it might be worth a try Wink
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Are you really looking for a film camera, Lustig? I didn't get that impression. I thought your nostalgia was more like mine -- kind of a longing for the "craft" of photography.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:57 pm
@boomerang,
Me too.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 07:44 pm
i am using my older cameras now, leaving the digital to collect dust. Nikon, olympus, tower and kodak . Smile
0 Replies