DIGITAL SLR's which one would you choose and why?

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:18 pm
WELL, I busted the view screen on my Canon REBEL. I had the camear at the foot of my car seat on the driver side and my wife (love her but cant blame her) pushed the buttons to adjust the power seats and the seat drove its metal rail thingy into the glass view screen. It takes pictures but dosnt show them when I take em. ANYBODY else ever hve this dumass problem? think it can be fixede?

I have another Canon a D60 which OI keep in my camera bag alla time so the REBEL Txi camera is always at hand whenever a quick shot presents itself.
WOE IS ME I need some advice. Is this fatal or not?
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:23 pm
@farmerman,
Based on my experience as a photog (and former retail sales-droid) that repair will be more expensive than what you might be prepared for.

Typically, the camera store if they have any at all might have a basic repair facility where they clean lube and adjust cameras. Rarelty whould they stock an LCD screen I could be wrong but I doubt it. The store then ships it out to a big regional depot or directly to the Canon east coast repair facility where often it takes 4 weeks or longer. This has been the typical procedure for larger repairs more than a decade. If I were a betting man I'd guess the repair is $200-$250 if it's a penny.

I hope this helps. Sorry for your grief.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:30 pm
@Ragman,
OHHHHHMAN, any idea of the neighborhood? Its really a great camera and I use it for all macro shots of rock samples and dirt and stuff that can get ON the camera. Its been a real workhorse for me and its really intuitive to operate . My D60 is more like Nikons (kinda fru fru but less intuitive)
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:32 pm
@farmerman,
Wait, wait. There should be a plastic guard over that LCD screen. On my Nikon it came with it...and protects the LCD from scratches and damage. Hate to ask the obvious but did yours have one?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:35 pm
@Ragman,
I deal with a place called CAneras Etc. in NEwark Del (Home of the U of Del). They do have a repair service on site but I didnt find out about the bustage until after 5PM ON A FUCKIN SATURDAY EVENING WHEN EVERYBODY WENT HOME FOR THE WEEKEND AND IM HERE STEWING ABOUT GIW FUCKIN STUPID I WAS.\

Sorry, I am taking it badly and Im trying not to blame the wife cause Im the one who stuffed the canera under the car seat and whenever she uses Sparky she will move the seats up pretty far so whie its just cracked , The screen is totally black.

Thanks for the info about a neighborhood.
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:39 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry. FM. I'm with you 100%. Is your LCD screen as well as LCD protective window cracked or broken?

Try this link 'cause this guy in MN actually repairs them. I can't speak for his reputation as he is unknown to me but he repairs them. He advertises repairs for $150, w/ free shipping.
Quote:

"We will install a brand new OEM LCD screen, as well as replace the LCD window in your camera and ship it back to you for one low price." ...and we will fix it and ship it back out usually within 4-5 business days of receiving it. We have been repairing digital cameras for about 5yrs now, its pretty much all we do!"

http://www.darntoothysam.com/products/Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-XTi-400D-OEM-LCD-AND-Window-Repair-Service.html

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:52 pm
@Ragman,
oh .. . black screen = dead LCD. The advice I gave you is good. He could save $100 to $150 and turnover time is blazingly fast.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:56 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks . Im going to send him a note and see what shakes out. Course if CAms etc is even close, the nearness (they are about 45 miles to the South) will make it an adventure (There are some great restaurants in Newark.
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 05:01 pm
@farmerman,
I don't think you'lll be happy with their (camera's etc) cost or turnover time. I worked on the inside of a large camera shop 2 different place in greater Boston. I've had experience as a consumer bringing my cameras in to repair facilities.

I will bet you a six-pack of your fave brew that the camera store repair will be $200+ and will promise 2 weeks turn-around; however it'll be 4 weeks...etc..specially in summer..vacation workload etc. Then there's that dead time if they do estimate which will kill off 5 working days in and of itself.

More from this guy's site:

Quote:

DarnToothySam.com is based in Burnsville Minnesota (near Minneapolis, St. Paul) but a large percentage of our clients come from outside Minnesota!

We are an online digital camera repair shop, all you do is find and purchase your repair package, then send in your camera with our repair form, and we will take care of the rest for you.

Return shipping of your camera via US Priority Mail to anywhere in the USA is included in the repair price as shown. Also, there is no sales tax for any customer outside MN, unlike any local "repair shop" you may visit that must charge you tax!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 05:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Canons can use just about anyone elses lenses, (including Nikon) but Nikon cannot say the same.

I was looking back at this much earlier comment back when you were looking to purchase your Canon. I have to correct what you said because you're misinformed.

This info about lens interchangability is totally false. A Canon (or any major camera mfr lens) is no more interchangeable than you cat is with a dog. In some cases, there are some lens adapters that allow you to use a Canon lens with Nikon and vice-vera. However, you'd lose a lot of automated functionality..programming etc.

There are also separate independent lens mfr that make their independent lenses mount and work well with nikon, canon etc. Most of the time these independent lens are nearly 100% functional with all programming doodads.

However, Canon and Nikon bodies mating with respective lenses etc are fish and foul, as is the case with all the other major companies.

Now if you are talking about backwards lens compatibility within the major mfr own lens line, that is another different issue. If that is the case, Nikon is by far more backwards compatible than Canon. I don't think you were refering to that, though.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 05:55 pm
@Ragman,
Yeh I was given a bit of bad info on that. It seems that with the adapters Id lose much of the automated gizmos by going Nikon. AS far as back com[patability. Ive got a slew of Minolta lenses and had them adapted to use in the Canon. As far as not being back adaptable, I suppose the loss of automation and "steady cam" is a big one but as Ive found, the neat thing about a digital camera is that if the lens isnt 100% accurate, I can just shoot a bunch of pix and keep only the ones that look good. I dont get into the camera so much as Im interested in my resulting picture. tHeres still a lot pof features that I dont use in both the Rebel and the D60, (like video) I still havent found a need for video. When I took a course on using Photshop elemenst and then Photoshop C (4?) I learned some neat tricks that required me to learn yet another feature that the cameral has.

I will stand up for one thing that the Canon has in spades and that is the total intuitive basis of use that it gives me. I took out a Nikon from CAm etc when I was looking and I was kerfuffled at how much reading I had to do to get some of the basics down. Canon is the "Apple " of the proline cameras. wheras Nikon is the "PC". That you cannot deny.

I lloked at magazines especially nature and Smithsonian (where they give info about what the camera used was and some basics on the ISO and speeds). I see its pretty much a split except for the places where there are exytreme telephoto shots. There I see a lot more of the "White Top" lenses
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 06:33 pm
@farmerman,
FWIW, I switched from Canon to Nikon in 1985 (pre-autofocus tech ) and never looked back. I understand how you feel about your experiencing the intuitive handling and interface of the Canon. However, over the years, I've had lots of time to gain familiarity with how Nikon set up their buttons/controls/where to look for them etc. for so long now that it's become intuitve to me.

As I've told many people who I've advised about DSLR cam mfr differences, genjerally, it's all really what you get used to or WANT TO get used to. I prefer Nikon's greater durability over Canon. The good lenses and lens choices with Canon are pretty pricey (as is with Nikon), but that is not my main complaint or issue. I've gotten great image results right out of the box with a new Nikon DSLR - while shooting a wedding...which is NEVER a good idea to do. I love Nikon lens sharpness in general and their macro/micro lenses are tack sharp with amazing color fidelity.

That being said, it's whatever works for you and your way of shooting, utlimately.

Video capability on DSLR to me is wasted. I resent camera mfrs adding it on for us non video pro-sumers and profs. There could be some incredible useful features or improved peformance they could have added on for the same added $200 of a $1000-$1500 camerras instead of the damned video.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 07:29 pm
@Ragman,
What I like about the D60 is many of the "Photoshop-like" features in the box. Its an amazing bit of initial post processing that can be done. I also like the new waist finder that the multi positioned viewer provides. (It was so cool that sveral other cameras, including Nikon, quickly added it to their lines-but Canon got it foirst).

Youre right about all the lenses but there are cheaper versions than the Canon or Nikor with just a s good optics (I thibk the optics "quality" bullshit by both Canon and Nikon is just markjet hype. We did some polarized light dispersion at the min labs on two equiv Canopn and Nikon fixed fl lenses and another cheaper version. The results were very similar and (in my parlance) digital means that you can keep the best and toss the rest in the camera, you dont wait for any darkroom confirmation.

I think the pixel resolutions are all the same the top Nikon and Canon have 22 megapixels and my D60 is 18 mehs. I defy anyone to tell any diff expecially with interpolative post processing like Photoshop.

Im big into macro shots opf mineral inclusions that Ill be using for reports and for a book Im working on. I also kept my D6- for panorma and "knit shots for landscape and geologic features. While all my macros I keep on my (oops--KEPT) on my Rebel for close up with a tripod and the electronic shutter clicky thingy.
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 07:43 pm
@farmerman,
Sounds like you got the right system that works for you. Love to see some of those mineral crystal shots I've seen you talk about elsewhere. Bet there downright artsy-fartsy.

For example on my D100 I have an in-camera menu option that allows me to view and image's densitometer graph chart of the highlights, midtones and shadows ..and even a version of the image that flashes on and off indicating where the highlights are blown out so that you can take a different exposure. oh yes, and a shooting option that will auto-bracket in 1/2 stop increments sandwiched around the 'correct' exposure. Overkill for most shooters ...but it makes me happy for some of the critical stuff...saving me time away from monitor Photoshopping the image to improve it afterwards.

For years, photogs, photog sales-droids and photo reviewers have fanned the flames of religious wars between Canon and Nikon. It's similar to the PC vs Mac religious wars. Each one has its proponents and detractors. Stores sell a lot of product (magazines, books and tons of product). However, once you go Mac, very few go back to PC. conversely, many people switch back and foerth from Nikon to Canon and vice-versa; however, once you got $2000 worth of lenses, flash system, cables, remotes - you're not likely to switch unless your job pays for it.

FWIW, using my Nikon D100 (6 Megapixel DSLR) gives me great results and with tweaking using Photoshop Im pretty satisfied. However, for more critical work I do (details in highlights, shadows and ability to focus in dark), I'm waiting for Nikon to release their upgrade to their D700 model. It's been on the drawing board for awhile...but the economy and then the quake-tsunami and what-not I think has delayed the release of this important model.

Even now, I drool over the Nikon D700 but have held off upgrading to anything else for 2 yrs now. It has excellent sensitivity in low-light..one of the best at seeing in the dark without the image breaking up into ugly coarse digital noise. and catching action it's amazing. I just don't like their add-on accesory that allows vertical shooting grip/alternate battery. for me it's an essential and they mucked that up.

... But I digress (of course).
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 08:56 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Bet there downright artsy-fartsy.

not so much. Ive tried to get as much of the various minreal compounds on the field so the type of rock can be interpreted by folks doing work in the field. Some crytal shots are loaded with colors , others are pretty dull lots of black white and stripes of gray.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:59 pm
@farmerman,
well, the power seat drive relly did a number on the camera. The deiode, the glass cover AND a power line and a small MOSFET IC circuit got toasted. Its gonna cost about 500$. The camera cost about 750 new. Im wondering whether its worth it(BUT, I relly need a backup camera)
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:12 pm
@farmerman,
My thought is that is way more than it's worth. As an alternative if you like it so much, you can pick up the same model used for about that same amount on Ebay or a camera shop. I'd go that route rather than repair it.

PS take a look at the ads at the bottom of the page for Canon Rebel T3I and T2I at $549 and $529, respectively.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:21 pm
@Ragman,
I just did a quick search on the local Kijiji for Canon Rebel XTI - new and used start around $250 - there are over 20 within about an hour drive here (Toronto and suburbs). Shouldn't be too hard to find one someone brought in as a trade-in at a local camera shop if you're not comfortable with the ebay/kijiji/craigslist route.
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Exactly. Many people prefer to buy a used DSLR from a trusty camera shop. Many used DLSR models often include a 60 or 90-day warranty, perhaps longer.
0 Replies