DIGITAL SLR's which one would you choose and why?

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 03:38 am
HMMM all food for thought. All I need is the camera body cause I have all the lenses I need (all are the "steady cam" lenses that Canon introduced a few yeasrs back)
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:36 am
@farmerman,
If by steady-cam do you mean the vibration-reduction feature? FWIW, that has been a feature in SLR/DSLR lenses for a lot longer than the video capability that's built-in to the cameras. Camera mfrs may have introduced a few more lenses with it since video has been added.

I'm guesssing that you can pick up a very good camera body (even with warranty) for $350-$400, but lots
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:50 am
@Ragman,
Now I saw in a cam magazine all about the wonders of Video we can extract from our DSLR's. Really a fuckin wate of my time and money. ITo me, its like all the photpgraphy you see done with cell pones. Its ok I guess, but not top-notch. ANd , if yer gonna do something , why go half assed?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:01 am
@farmerman,
I saw a couple of ads for the camera bodies when I was poking around last night - $150 - $250 on kijiji in Toronto.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Canon-Rebel-XTi-body-only-with-accessories-225-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ306057718
Quote:
I am selling my Canon Rebel XTi body only, I used it as a backup when I travel, it's in great working condition
it comes with
- Canon XTi body
- battery
- battery charger
- USB cabel
- Video out able
- user manual
- CD
- retial box

Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:03 am
@farmerman,
[Sorry. I changed and I edited my reply after you when I review it]
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:04 am
@ehBeth,
I think with a local store warranty (in USD) the figure would be a bit higher. $250-$300 for the camera just like FM's.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:05 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Black Canon Rebel XTi,excellent condition, battery and charger, USB cable, manuals, software CD, SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB CF card and SanDisk Ultra II 512 MB CF card.
Quote:
Canon Rebel XTI body only - $200 firm !!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Canon-Rebel-XTI-body-only-200-firm-W0QQAdIdZ290039936
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:06 am
@farmerman,
Yes, having a video feature is a wasted feature for you or I in our DSLR. The resultant video quality for most of them is not as good as even let's say a $200 steady-cam palm-sized videocam.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:53 am
@Ragman,
I guess the warranty and having a real store check it out would make a lot of sense. I think Im gonna go and purchase aTxi body from the cam shop.
I see that Canon is having one hell of a hard time filling orders because of the back mess from the earthquake.
Bow when the Japanese economy gets rolling again, they are gonna be going full steam.
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:13 am
@farmerman,
The same is true (interrupted production) for Nikon and a few others who make their cams in Japan (as opposed to making them in other Asian countries).

Canon EOSRebel Xt1 is 10.3 MP camera...an older cheaper model than I think you're looking for, FM. correct?

Be aware that reliable and durable used DSLR cameras with good reputations (such as Canon rebel T1i, T2i and T3i) found to be in good shape will command a higher price - especially with warranty. (Perhaps adding 20-25% to the cost).

For example, B&H Photo & Video camera store in NYC has many popular models used, too. You can use their pricing as a guide for local cam store. B&H is one of the most well-reputed camera emporia with a fantastic mail order as well as block-long storefront in Manhattan. They're the LL Bean of cam/tech equip't). I've been doing biz with them for over 30 yrs as do many amateurs and profs.

FWIW, they price their used Canon EOS T2i at $500 (excellent condition) with a new unit selling for $620 (body only). Perhaps you can use that as a guide for pricing.
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:29 am
@Ragman,
I dont have my cam but it was a 13 mpixel it was a Tsi or T2i, or Txi I forget. If Im looking at a comparable cost of 500 to get a used one of these, as opposed to repair, then itd be good to get my original camera back. Shes been a good ole girl.
(I dont pay much attention of the number on the cam, I use my D60 alot and keep the T(?)i in my car (not in a bag).I sorta figgered that a "used" cost of 250 bucks was waay too good to believe .
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:47 am
@farmerman,
yes, I'm pretty sure from past comments you've made that your model wasn't Canon EOS Rebel Xt1. That model's resolution is only 10.3 Mpix and is not the good performer comparatively speaking to your broken one. Consider it seriously if your local camera can find you one in great shape... espeically if they offer a decent 3-6 month warranty. I would not suggest buying an extended warranty where you have to pay $50-100 for 3 yrs, however.
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:50 am
@Ragman,
I never heard of it really. Well, I guess Im back to a 500$ neighborhood for a used camera.

I have an old Olympus that we spent about 1200 bucks for in the 90's. its a 2.5 mpxl. Imagine that.
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:59 am
@farmerman,
Having been at this hobby/vocation for decades, not only do I believe but I got caught up in the upgrade sandwich (both actively as a consumer and passively as a former sales-droid). I've been lucky to be very conservative and wait til a 'DSLR model has been out for 2 yrs before I jump on it. Usually I wait for the latest and greatest upgraded model to come out before I putrchase the other older one (used or new).

Your model is not Canon EOS T2i (18 mpix) and it's not the Rebel Xt (10 mpix). It's between the two. I'm looking around some more.

The Canon EOS T1i is 15.1 mpix but has video capability so that's not it.

EOS Rebel XSi has 12.2 mpix. is that it?

Here's a link to a used one ($430). this cameras has Live LCD viewing of the image...a very handy feature.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800794447-USE/Canon_2756B003_EOS_Rebel_XSi_SLR.html

Also I would highly recommend buying camera armor. It costs $11.50 for yuor camera and it is a silcone skin that protects it and allows you to work the controls. However, it won't protect you from it being crunched like the accident you had.
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:18 am
@Ragman,
the link to that used model has included a toss-in used zoom lens. So the actual price of camera body alone in excellent used cond. should be ~$350 -$400, saving you some real $$$.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 02:33 pm
@Ragman,
repair estimate for the glass and the Sensor will be about 225 plus shipping (Canon reapir for East Coast is in NJ)
SO, I should have it back within a week. I hate using the Olympus
Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 03:25 pm
@farmerman,
If that estimated cost is accurate, and if that turn-around time is what they say it is, you've found a far more reasonable solution rather than making any sort of used camera purchase is.

My best 'normal' guess about turn-around time is that due to the unsual weather circumstances (and in general) that it will take 3 weeks to a month. However, I'm just best-guessing from many past experiences with large east (or west) repair depots.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 03:37 pm
@farmerman,
Well, that $225-250 is one HELL of a lot better than $500 that local camera store wanted to charge you to repair your camera, isn't it?
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 03:42 pm
@Ragman,
It was actually the same camera shop. They gave me the 500 estimate (apparently they pulled that one right out of their ass). When the shop sent it off to Canon repair central in NJ, they then got the REAL number from Canon.

Im glad I waited before I jumped and bought a used body.
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:53 am
@farmerman,
I bought several old Fujifilm viewfinder digitals (14 meg pxl). Are their direction sheets availableon the web anywhere?