Pay a red light camera fine or appeal it

Moonhee

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 09:05 pm
So the municipal judge said I am liable during the Zoom call hearing. I don't feel I should pay. I read so much going in on my state about how municipal abuse tax payer dollars. The feds came in and arrested the big operator of a red light camera program. Many state legislators are in process of the ban as well of such traffic cameras. Many states have stopped such programs and found it a tax payer waste.

I just feel it's too corrupt to throw my money at these corrupt local mayors , etc. It is hard as it is to live during the pandemic.

engineer

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 10:14 pm
@Moonhee,
It doesn't matter what states will do in the future, you are liable now. You should pay it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 10:19 pm
@Moonhee,
A couple of important questions.

Is it possible for you to win an appeal?
What would it cost you to appeal?

If winning will save you $50 but it takes a day of your time, it isn't worth it (unless you are paid less than minimum wage).

My general rule is not to fight battles I can't win.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 10:22 pm
Did you run the red light, or are you innocent?

Pay if you are guilty. Appeal if you are innocent.
0 Replies

Moonhee

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2021 05:57 pm
I didn't pay, neither fought it. I blew it off
oralloy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2021 06:26 pm
@Moonhee,
I suspect that you made a bad choice. Having unpaid tickets on your record can come back to haunt you.

If nothing else, you'll almost certainly be forced to pay one day.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2021 06:46 pm
@Moonhee,
Moonhee wrote:

I didn't pay, neither fought it. I blew it off

Get enough tickets, they'll throw in a free arrest warrant. Force you to deal with your obviously reckless driving.
Moonhee

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 09:18 am
@tsarstepan,
Possibly but cities across my state have been investigated for such crimes as these high fines. I researched this issue. Its a federal crime to suspend a license. Either way I win in the end even if it seems wreckless Lol

I drive perfectly well. Can't help how stupid laws are and waste tax payer money. They don't even fix the roads with cracks in them , yet they allow for looters to wreck havock in that sane city and get out of their crimes. Sounds like corruption!
engineer

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 09:34 am
@Moonhee,
Moonhee wrote:

I drive perfectly well.

You did run a red light, right? Just to be clear, that is how you kill people. You should at least take this as a warning to review your driving habits. Pretty much every serious accident I've seen in city driving involves someone running a red light. It's the most common way to set up a high speed, t-bone type of accident, the type that sends people to the hospital.
Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 01:06 pm
@Moonhee,
Moonhee wrote:

Possibly but cities across my state have been investigated for such crimes as these high fines. I researched this issue. Its a federal crime to suspend a license. Either way I win in the end even if it seems wreckless Lol

I drive perfectly well. Can't help how stupid laws are and waste tax payer money. They don't even fix the roads with cracks in them , yet they allow for looters to wreck havock in that sane city and get out of their crimes. Sounds like corruption!

The first item you mention may (or may not) be true - but for arguments sake say it is true - you are likely going to need a lawyer to fight this for you which is going to cost you much more money than just sucking it up and paying the ticket in the first place. So yes you may win - but your pocket book is going to suffer more. Way to go!

If you ran a red light then you do not drive perfectly well. Red lights are the law for a reason - they are not stupid and one would think a car accident would be much more expensive for a tax payer (use of police and fire, for example).

What is more likely to happen to you now since you completely ignored everything -- is the least thing to happen is increased fines and fees with the longer you ignoring it the more they will increase. You continue to ignore this will likely cause your license to be suspended - yeah you could try to fight that if you think it is a federal crime - but again that would entail a lawyer and that again will be more expensive than just paying the fine in the first place. And at the worst a warrant out for your arrest.

All this because you ignored the fine. To me you seem reckless and stupid - not the law. So you can go ahead and feel you did something - but the future you is not going to be very happy.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 01:28 pm
@Moonhee,
Moonhee wrote:

Its a federal crime to suspend a license.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Moonhee

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 05:57 pm
@engineer,
But I didn't. They make money of our tax dollars , its corruption
engineer

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 06:23 pm
@Moonhee,
You didn't run the light? Didn't they send you a picture of your car going through the red light?

Red light cameras in my city lose money. They must turn over all proceeds to the school board, so the police have to pay for the service and get nothing back. The put them on the most dangerous intersections in town and then put signs all over the place saying the light is camera enforced. Then for some reason serious accidents drop dramatically.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 07:20 pm
@Moonhee,
Moonhee wrote:

Its a federal crime to suspend a license. Either way I win in the end even if it seems wreckless Lol

Cite your bloody sources.

More than 7 million people may have lost driver’s licenses because of traffic debt
Quote:
More than 7 million people nationwide may have had their driver’s licenses suspended for failure to pay court or administrative debt, a practice that advocates say unfairly punishes the poor, a Washington Post analysis found. About 10 percent of that total involved residents of Virginia, Maryland and the District.

The total number nationwide could be much higher based on the population of states that did not or could not provide data.

https://imgur.com/ejgslxt.jpg

Quote:
I drive perfectly well.

As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, your statement could likely be challenged as a poorly drawn subjective opinion based on your own personal bias.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2021 04:00 pm
@Moonhee,
Moonhee wrote:

But I didn't. They make money of our tax dollars , its corruption

If you didn't run the red light and the camera revealed that to be the fact, then way in God's green earth would you not appeal it? By ignoring it you are just getting yourself into trouble which would have all been solved by simply appealing it.
0 Replies