The Ignorant American Voter

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 09:59 am
The Ignorant American Voter
Historian Rick Shenkman laments the breed in his new book, "Just How Stupid Are We?"
By Bret Schulte
Posted June 3, 2008

The long Iraq war. The bungled Hurricane Katrina response. The credit crunch. A quick look at the newspapers will give many voters reason to doubt the wisdom of America's political leaders. Unfortunately, Americans are doing little to educate themselves about their leaders and their policies, says bestselling author and George Mason University historian Rick Shenkman in his new book Just How Stupid Are We? Facing the Truth About the American Voter. Shenkman cites some damning facts to make his case that Americans are ill-prepared to guide the world's most powerful democracy. Only 2 of 5 voters can name the three branches of the federal government. And 49 percent of Americans think the president has the authority to suspend the Constitution.

But, for Shenkman, the severity of the problem snapped into focus after Sept. 11, 2001, when polls showed that a large number of Americans knew little about the attacks and the Iraq war that followed. He blames some of the public's misunderstanding on the White House message machine, but he argues that Americans did little to seek the truth. "As became irrefutably clear in scientific polls undertaken after 9/11...millions of Americans simply cannot fathom the twists and turns that complicated debates take," Shenkman writes. Shenkman spoke to U.S. News about the competence of the American voter.

Excerpts:

What made you first ask the question, "Just how stupid are we?"

There's been no issue more important in the last generation than 9/11 and the Iraq war, and Americans didn't understand basic facts about it. I found that very disturbing, and I wanted to explain how to account for that and then how to have an intelligent conversation about this. It's a very sensitive subject. I want us to be able to sit down, calmly review the evidence, and one, like alcoholics, admit we have a problem; and, two, try to figure out how we remedy that problem.

What evidence most concerned you?

Even after the 9/11 Commission, a majority of Americans believed there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq even after the Commission said there weren't. Only a third of Americans understood that much of the rest of the world opposed our invasion. Another third thought the rest of the world was cheering our invasion, and a third thought the rest of the world was neutral. If you're going to get that much wrong about the most important issue facing us, it's hard to have much confidence in our democracy.

Widely disparaging the American voter as stupid must have made you a bit nervous. How do you account for that? The voter you describe, supportive of the war and the Bush administration, sounds like a conservative. How do you defend this book as anything more than a liberal screed?

I know this plays into a narrative of contemporary conservatives where liberals are finding fault with working class Americans, but I hope I provide enough context in the book that people see this is not a liberal's manifesto. This is an American's manifesto about something that is really wrong with the country. One thing I hope to do is remind conservatives of their own history. It used to be you could always count on conservatives to raise questions about the people. But one reason Ronald Reagan won is that conservatives started celebrating the common man just like liberals always did. So now you have two main ideological groups in the country saying the voice of the people is the voice of God. As I say in the book, we're all populists now. That's fine, but the voice of the people often isn't the voice of God. The people make mistakes. And if you don't have conservatives pointing that out, then the system is out of whack. Democracy depends on having a sustained conversation about our weaknesses as well as our strengths.

Rather than being stupid, could Americans just be too trusting of their leaders?

It's very curious. Before this last half-century, Americans were very trusting of their leaders. But that all changed after Vietnam, Watergate, and Iran-contra. I don't think you can have a democracy without people trusting their government, but if the last half century has shown anything, it's that healthy skepticism about our leaders is probably warranted, if not a wholehearted cynicism. And I certainly wouldn't want to embrace a wholehearted cynicism. That's too grim a reading of the lessons of the last half century. But at the same time, they need to be skeptical. What I argue in the book is we have to reform ourselves. We can't just say to leaders, "You have to be better leaders," or to the media, "Do your job better." If this is going to be a democracy, we have to take responsibility as voters.

Is there any evidence that voters in other countries are smarter or more responsible voters?

I'm not an expert on other countries. My study of the last 30 years is focused on the United States. Our democracy is so different for so many reasons. We don't have tribal ancestry that unites us. What unites us are our ideas, and that creates a far different set of challenges for our democracy than for another democracy in the rest of the world. What I try to do is talk about comparing Americans today with Americans of the past and talking about our own history.

What can be done to un-dumb the American voter?

My point is not that we need to go back to a system where party or labor bosses were in charge of the system. We have a vibrant democracy today, and that's a good thing, but we need to simply acknowledge that the ordinary voter is not as smart as they should be. They are susceptible to manipulation and being conned, and once we admit that, we have to figure out how we can have a country of smarter voters. That's why I end the book on an optimistic note, because I think we can get there. My No. 1 suggestion that is easily implemented is to ask every college student their freshman year to take a current events quiz weekly. I think that would have an enormous effect on the country.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 532 • Replies: 9
No top replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:20 am
Saddam: Anyone got any yellow cake uranium? I need it for food manufacturing and production to feed my people... (cynical)

Comment:
Americans are sometimes ignorant, true, but they are not naive, gullable or dumb.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:28 am
The democratic speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi promised us change and AFTER FOUR YEARS look at the approval rating of Congress now? Once the politicians figure out the change the American people want is for the dems to stop obstructing basic progress.

Yes the American voters can be quite ignorant.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:50 am
RexRed wrote:
The democratic speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi promised us change and AFTER FOUR YEARS look at the approval rating of Congress now? Once the politicians figure out the change the American people want is for the dems to stop obstructing basic progress.

Laughing

You are proving the authors point quite well Rex.

Jan 2007, Nancy Pelosi was first sworn in as speaker of the House.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/04/AR2007010400802.html
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:04 pm
parados wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Laughing

You are proving the authors point quite well Rex.

Jan 2007, Nancy Pelosi was first sworn in as speaker of the House.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/04/AR2007010400802.html

Since 1987, Nancy Pelosi has represented California's Eighth District in the House of Representatives. How long has Congerss been democratic special interest led? What has been done really? What's there to know? That NOTHING has happened but more obstruction of the American peoples affairs? ALL FOR PARTISAN GAIN!

Yea, I know...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:14 pm
The GOP controlled the House from Jan 1995 to Dec 2006.

Your ignorance is simply astounding Rex. Do you honestly think the GOP was doing the bidding of democratic special interest groups for 12 years?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:34 pm
parados wrote:
The GOP controlled the House from Jan 1995 to Dec 2006.

Your ignorance is simply astounding Rex. Do you honestly think the GOP was doing the bidding of democratic special interest groups for 12 years?

Elitist special interest i.e. George Soros.

Now how many on the left really know who GS is?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:40 pm
I see.. so now you are claiming the GOP has been doing the bidding of George Soros for 12 years?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:28 pm
Rex goes from a spade to a backhoe to a HyHoe. Now he's out looking for a Krupps Bagger 288, in red.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 03:51 pm
JTT wrote:
Rex goes from a spade to a backhoe to a HyHoe. Now he's out looking for a Krupps Bagger 288, in red.

There are many ways to peel an onion... Smile
0 Replies