Favorite Mexican Food?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:47 pm
I like really good tamales. They can be hard to find..

Here in NM so far, I like the ones at
the Range Cafe in Bernalillo. Bit of a drive. Thus I've bought the makings for a second try at them myself (too much mass, too little filling, the last time, years ago.)
0 Replies

Tejaa

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:41 am
Carnitas
Tamales
Enchiladas

Those are among the favorites.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:24 pm
I still haven't made my homemade tamales, but I did get as far as rendering my own lard.
Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Wow Osso, I'm impressed. Did you post how you did it?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:36 pm
@Irishk,
I posted about it, not sure I gave the recipe. I did it after a bunch of reading for lard relative to some other fats (the natural rendered lard is less saturated than butter) and the reasons not to use packaged grocery store lard (super hydrogenated). I'm almost positive I saved links on how to do it. But me, I bought some pork fat at the grocery store. I gather "leaf" type is best but it's not any store I go to. I forget what they called it, but it was basically looked similar to the fattiest bacon you could imagine. I put it in my slow cooker for (trying to remember, maybe six or seven hours) and used a meat baster to take out the accumulating fat, oh, maybe once an hour. I gather people make cracklings of any meat bits left..

Saying all this makes me sure I posted on it. Back w/some links.
Anyway, it couldn't have been easier.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:50 pm
@ossobuco,
There it is -

http://able2know.org/topic/144628-1

I see I didn't put in links for how to articles. So, back in another bit.

(on fatback, I did ask for that and the guy at the store said no, they didn't have any. Turns out they did have packaged labelled pork fat for chiccharones).
Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for the link, Osso! I read the whole thread - very interesting. I've never heard the term "leaf lard" either. Your method sounds pretty easy, though. I love to throw things in the crockpot.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:10 pm
@Irishk,
This is where I riffed from - (I used less to start with, basically a store package, and I had seen in some other place that people use crockpots)
Nature's Harmony Farm - http://www.naturesharmonyfarm.com/
The website is closed until June 20, so I cut and pasted from my old link:

Making Lard
Sunday, August 9, 2009 at 03:12PM

I've learned a bit about cooking with lard and I am using it more and more often. We finally ran out of the last jar of lard that I had made, so it was time to make some more. Here's what I did:

I started with a few pounds of fatback. This is just like what it sounds...a big chunk of fat. Our pigs are known for the fantastically thick layer of fat that they put on. In the wild, this helps them to deal with different types of weather as well as storing reserves for time of food shortage. This fatback still has the skin on one side, which can pose a slight challenge. I cut the fat into 1 inch cubes to help it render down better. Sounds like no big deal, but because we don't castrate our boars, they develop a very tough skin. (Our processor isn't too pleased about this as it makes their job much harder!) I never really believed him when he told us this, but he explained that mature, intact boars develop such tough skin that they sometimes can't even cut it. This is to help them defend themselves against the inevitable boar battles and razor sharp tusks. Well, even after sawing away with many different types of knives, I found that it worked best to score the fat side into cubes, then finish the job by cutting the skin with kitchen shears. By the time I was done my hands hurt!

Oss0 here - a comment on the thread said to just slice the whole skin part off...

I placed these cubes in a single layer on a broiler tray and put them in the oven at 210 degrees. Another good way to do this is to put the cubes in a stainless steel colander and sit the colander inside a roasting pan. Then just leave this all in the oven for a day or two to let the fat melt. The melted fat or lard will collect in the bottom pan and all you have to do is pour it off every few hours.

So I started this at about 3:30 in the afternoon. Around 6 pm I poured off the first bit of lard into a pint jar. Then again at 8 pm and 10 pm. By this time I had 3 1/2 pint jars full, but the fat wasn't looking completely dried out or baked so I turned the oven off until the morning. The next day, I put the oven back on and continued to cook the fat, pouring off the lard every 3-4 hours. By the time the evening came, I had 5 pints of lard and at the last pour there just wasn't much accumulated in the pans, so I had gotten about all I could get.

When each jar gets filled, I put the lid on and leave it on the counter to cool. Once cooled, I put it in the freezer for long term storage. It's neat to see the lard turn from golden colored hot oil to a solid white right before your eyes. I leave the jar that I plan to use soon on the counter and have never had any trouble, but many people recommend keeping this in the fridge. The remaining chunks of fat and skin on the broiler tray become dog treats for the next few days.

This is just one way to make lard. I find that it is very easy and allows me to work outside while it's cooking. I only have to come in every few hours to tend to it. Other ways, such as cooking the fat on the stove may produce more lard out of the fat and will leave you with deep fried cracklings to eat later on, but it also leaves you with a splattered mess over the kitchen! This way works well for me.

The jar of creamy white solid lard comes in handy for many types of cooking. I sauté veggies in it, melt some in the pan before cooking eggs, and of course you use this to make biscuits! You can pretty much replace any oil or shortening in any recipe with lard, but it may impart a slight pork flavor to the dish. As long as you keep the oven very low while rendering the lard, then it shouldn't have much of a taste to it. Of course, if you like that pork flavor then render at a higher temperature. The lard will come out brown rather than white and will taste great!
end of quote
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's another one -
http://www.nowpublic.com/style/how-render-lard

and a recipe for tamales -

scroll down to Tamales on this page from the Porcini Chronicles blog -
http://porcinichronicles.blogspot.com/

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks again, Osso. I actually have a stainless steel colander, but I think I'll try the slow-cooker method rather than have the oven going for so long. I could even put the cooker on a counter in the garage and avoid cooking odors for hours and hours in the house! I'll let you know how it all goes Smile
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:33 pm
@Irishk,
That porcini chronicles blog has a photo intervening part way down the recipe, but I can read through it if I stare hard. It didn't have that the first time I looked, so maybe it is just my computer today.

Anyway, have fun..
Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I had no trouble, so possibly it's your computer. The tamales look like a world of work lol. I agree with her that it would only be a 'once-a-year cold-weather' endeavor.

How about that Greek Cheeseburger, though? Made me want to whip one up! Also think I'll be trying the Lemon/Rosemary Marmalade...thanks for that link!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:50 pm
@Irishk,
I'm something of a food blog follower addict. At some point, MsOlga made a thread about food blogs or recipe sites, and I had just had a major computer breakdown and had to get a new hard drive, and since I didn't put my bookmarks on an auxiliary site (hah, still haven't) I lost all those links. But now I've got another batch that I like, so I should find MsOlga's thread.. and add them.
Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I remember a thread like that. I only have a couple of foodie blogs bookmarked...one is about baking, which is my newest cooking hobby. The other is my absolute favorite of all time (I think I may have linked it in that other thread). These guys (from the DC area) teach me something new just about every week and aren't afraid to post their failures along with their successes. Mr.Irish has loved everything I've tried from their blog:

The Bitten Word
http://thebittenword.typepad.com/image%20of%20c%20and%20z%20small.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:23 pm
@Irishk,
That's one I haven't seen, will check it out. I'll add mine to that thread later, I'm busy cleaning the soy sauce off my refrigerator interior..
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:22 pm
went to the hood yesterday.

wanted carnitas. not happenin'... now weekends only.

got marinated pork tacos, with everything. (a pablano, grilled onions and cilantro. and a lime)

having a mini fiesta tonight...

no fresh salsa yet, but very soon. just waiting on tomatoes to turn red...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:38 pm
holy mother of god. i can't feel my gums.

don't eat the pablano...

Embarrassed
0 Replies