Breaking: Hillary to Concede Tonight

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:59 am
NBC reports Hillary will "acknowledge that Obama has the delegates necessary" to secure the nomination (assuming he gets them.)

Finally!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,425 • Replies: 26
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:02 am
Right, it's not necessarily a given that he'll have the delegates by the end of the day.

I saw that quote from Terry McAuliffe, I wasn't sure what to make of it.

The quote I saw:

Quote:
Terry McAuliffe, chairman of Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign, said today that once Obama claims the majority of convention delegates: "I think Hillary Clinton will congratulate him and call him the nominee."

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/06/barack_obama_countdown_to_nomi.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:08 am
First Read:

Quote:
Hillary to recognize Obama nomination
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:55 AM by Mark Murray
Filed Under: 2008, Clinton, Obama, Delegates
From NBC's Mark Murray
Breaking news from the AP: "Officials say Clinton will acknowledge Tuesday
night Obama has the delegates for the nomination."

So that sounds less conditional.

Wow.

This phase might actually almost be over...!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:10 am
One thing I don't get yet -- does "acknowledge ... Obama has the delegates for the nomination" mean "drop out"?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:13 am
I meant to put the word "concede" in quotes. It sounds like she is leaving the door open. I really think that Hillary is still hoping that something will happen to Obama (I don't think that she hopes he will be assassinated though) between now and August.

(The report is coming form the AP for the record)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:20 am
sozobe wrote:
One thing I don't get yet -- does "acknowledge ... Obama has the delegates for the nomination" mean "drop out"?

Nah, she'll suspend her campaign. That way if Obama messes up somehow, she can swoop in. She has fantasies to that effect, I would think.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:24 am
Still -- suspending is major.

Edwards officially just "suspended" his campaign rather than dropping out entirely -- but he was out of the picture once he did that.

In her case, I don't see the need to suspend since if something DID happen (knock on wood), she'd be the presumptive replacement anyway.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:27 am
Breaking: Terry McCauliffe says the AP report is false, Hillary will not make concession(s) tonight. Speculation is that there are two camps now in her campaign, one to quit now, the other to hang in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:27 am
More:

Quote:
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York will concede tonight that Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois has the delegates needed to secure the Democratic Party's 2008 presidential nomination, campaign officials are telling the Associated Press.

"The former first lady will stop short of formally suspending or ending her race in her speech in New York City'' tonight, the AP's Beth Fouhy reports. "She will pledge to continue to speak out on issues like health care. But for all intents and purposes, two senior officials said, the campaign is over.''

Most campaign staff will be let go and will be paid through June 15, according to the officials who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

Terry McAuliffe, the campaign chairman, said publicly on NBC's Today show today that once Obama has the number of delegates needed for the nomination Clinton will indeed congratulate him and "call him the nominee.''

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/06/hillary_clinton_ready_to_conce.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:28 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Breaking: Terry McCauliffe says the AP report is false, Hillary will not make concession(s) tonight. Speculation is that there are two camps now in her campaign, one to quit now, the other to hang in.

Oh, seriously?!

Good grief... Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:29 am
IMO, once all of the primaries are finished is when the real damage could start in the Democratic party. Very smart to suspend now, rather than turn it into a dogfight at the convention.

If the fight continues and the superdelegates go against the popular vote, then the party is vulnerable to charges of elitism. If the superdelegates go with the popular vote, then the question arises as to why there are superdelegates to begin with.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:29 am
Ickes saying right now...Obama won't have the necessary delegates tonight...that dog just won't die.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:35 am
DrewDad wrote:
IMO, once all of the primaries are finished is when the real damage could start in the Democratic party. Very smart to suspend now, rather than turn it into a dogfight at the convention.

If the fight continues and the superdelegates go against the popular vote, then the party is vulnerable to charges of elitism. If the superdelegates go with the popular vote, then the question arises as to why there are superdelegates to begin with.

There is no rule in place within the party to calculate the "popular vote." You are drinking Hillary's kool-aid. The delegate count is the deciding factor. The popular vote can't even be accurately tallied. For instance, how do you factor in cuauces? If the popular vote meant anything, Obama would have run his campaign differently.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:47 am
DrewDad wrote:

What damage, exactly?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:59 am
I'm proud of Hillary's tenacity...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:36 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

There is no rule in place within the party to calculate the "popular vote." You are drinking Hillary's kool-aid. The delegate count is the deciding factor. The popular vote can't even be accurately tallied. For instance, how do you factor in cuauces? If the popular vote meant anything, Obama would have run his campaign differently.

Rolling Eyes

"Popular vote" is slightly misleading. "Delegates selected by voters" is more accurate, I suppose.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:43 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

What damage, exactly?

Cycloptichorn

Right now, the media attention is on how the contenders are wooing voters. Once the primary season is over, the media focus will be on wooing superdelegates. Some of that wooing is going to come across as strong-arming and/or bribing. That'll turn off the swing voters.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 10:51 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

What damage, exactly?

Cycloptichorn

Right now, the media attention is on how the contenders are wooing voters. Once the primary season is over, the media focus will be on wooing superdelegates. Some of that wooing is going to come across as strong-arming and/or bribing. That'll turn off the swing voters.

Uh, I doubt it. Very much. Clinton isn't going to be wooing anyone, and Obama no longer needs to.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:35 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Uh, I doubt it. Very much. Clinton isn't going to be wooing anyone, and Obama no longer needs to.

Ah, the clarity of hind-sight.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:41 am
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at, DrewDad -- I was about to break in and say that Roxxxanne and Cycloptichorn were getting it wrong but on re-reading I'm not confident enough that I get it.

Are you saying that Obama still needs to get more superdelegates to his side, and that if he's too strong-armed in his tactics, he'll turn off swing voters?

Or that if Hillary is too strong-armed, she'll turn off swing voters? (But which ones? No more primaries...)
0 Replies