Finding amount of sales closed by a realtor

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:09 pm
Does anyone know how you can go about doing this?

We are currently and desperately trying to sell. We had a stager come by and "stage" our home. She is concerned that our realtor is not doing a good job. Reason she is concerned - because the longer it takes us to sell, the worse it looks for her - ie staging should result in a quicker more lucrative sale - helps her marketing.

This stager claimed our realtor has not made one sale this year. Our realtor in the past has sold more units in our complex than any other realtor. Is there some way to find this information?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,161 • Replies: 27
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:14 pm
Do you think it'd be too rude to just ask her?

She's an employee, basically -- you have the right to see her "resume."

I don't have any particular experience with this (have never sold a home, have bought only one) so I may be out of line. But that's the first thought I had.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:25 pm
I thought of that too. But I figured if I could find it without asking him all the better. Or do you mean ask the stager where she found this out? As simple as that seemed I didn't think of it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:43 pm
I'd ask your realtor.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:09 pm
Do you have a listing agreement with the realtor or her broker's company? In other words, is she an independent realtor/broker with her own agency or does she work under a larger agency? If she's independent then you'll have to look at your listing agreement to see what kind of clause you have on pulling the listing away from her. If she's part of a larger agency then you can let the broker (head of the agency) know that you aren't satisfied with her performance.

Are there other units for sale in your complex? Are they selling? It's hard to separate the realtor from the market when things are in a general slump.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:16 pm
JPB wrote:
Do you have a listing agreement with the realtor or her broker's company? In other words, is she an independent realtor/broker with her own agency or does she work under a larger agency? If she's independent then you'll have to look at your listing agreement to see what kind of clause you have on pulling the listing away from her. If she's part of a larger agency then you can let the broker (head of the agency) know that you aren't satisfied with her performance.

Are there other units for sale in your complex? Are they selling? It's hard to separate the realtor from the market when things are in a general slump.

He works for a larger agency. He has tons of years of experience and have seen him sell quite a bit in our complex. We did just re-sign with him, but my husband thought we could fire him. Just to complicate matters this is also in conjunction with my firm's relocation company which recommended him or one other realtor.

There are other units for sale and none have sold since we put our on the market. I do realize this is a down market and wasn't as concerned with him until the stager mentioned something. He isn't as aggressive in some as his techniques as I have seen other agents, but realize sometimes being aggressive isn't always helpful.

Since this isn't my speciality, it is difficult for me to know if it is because he isn't pushing for aggressive techniques - we suggested stating we would pay for a certain number of months of condo fees for example and he felt this would be more helpful in the negotiating stages. We are relying on his expertise, but started questioning perhaps he isn't successful selling down markets - we've only seen his success in up markets.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:26 pm
Linkat wrote:
Or do you mean ask the stager where she found this out? As simple as that seemed I didn't think of it.

I meant ask the realtor -- I thought the realtor was a she, not a he -- but that's a good idea, too.

Either a) the stager was talking smack (maybe because she was worried about her own reputation) and it's not true, which is worth knowing, or b) the stager was telling the truth and has some sort of a source.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:31 pm
sozobe wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Or do you mean ask the stager where she found this out? As simple as that seemed I didn't think of it.

I meant ask the realtor -- I thought the realtor was a she, not a he -- but that's a good idea, too.

Either a) the stager was talking smack (maybe because she was worried about her own reputation) and it's not true, which is worth knowing, or b) the stager was telling the truth and has some sort of a source.

This is why I have my husband handling this aspect - can't stand games.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:55 pm
Have your husband ask the realtor if he won the steak knives in last years sales push.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:09 pm
Chai wrote:
Have your husband ask the realtor if he won the steak knives in last years sales push.

Nice!

I also am wary of asking him because I don't want him to feel we don't have confidence in him - we have had a sort of business I guess relationship for the past 8 years or so. He has sold many properties in our complex and (as a marketing ploy) keeps us all informed. My husband has spoken with him many times prior about the complex and stuff and real estate values so they sort of know each other.

I also figure as he was one of two recommeded realtors that my relocation firm sent our way, he must have a good reputation.

Don't they get anything better than steak knives?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 03:45 pm
Does your company have a buy-out option if your house doesn't sell in time for you to move? You're staying within the company, they're supporting your move,... sometimes companies will purchase the house from you (and immediately relist it to get rid of it) to expedite the transfer.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:21 pm
The old saying: 20 % of realtors do 80 % of the work is still true.

You really cannot go by the sales too much, as your realtor can have
200 listings and each one of them could have been sold by another agent
bringing in potential buyers, yet your realtor will claim the 200 listings as sold by him. So the sales figures can be deceiving.

A good agent will promote your house repeatedly in your local papers,
on the internet, perhaps craigslist and other listings that would promise a
large circulation. A good agent is readily available to show properties,
also evenings and on weekends, he/she will have color brochures available
for distribution around town (local banks, small stores etc.) and your
home should be available to prospective buyers for a preliminary virtual tour online through the brokers website or other MLS channels.

Linkat, ask your realtor exactly where he advertises and how readily it
is accessible to potential clients. The more channels he'll give you the
more you know he's working in you favor.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:40 pm
I give up!

What on earth is "home staging"?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:45 pm
Selling a home is serious business here, Margo.

Quote:
Home staging is the act of preparing a private residence prior to going up for sale in the real estate marketplace. The goal of staging is to sell a home quickly, and for the most money possible by attracting the highest amount of potential buyers. Staging focuses on improving a property to make it appeal to the largest number of buyers by transforming it into a welcoming, appealing, and attractive product for sale. Staging often raises the value of a property by way of reducing the home's flaws, depersonalizing, decluttering, cleaning, improving condition items, and landscaping. For vacant homes, rental furniture is used to create a living space the buyer could "see" themselves in. Properly executed staging leads the eye to attractive features while minimizing flaws.[/img]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_staging
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 07:02 am
hey linkat

I just happened upon this SITE

Could something like this help you, or is there something comparable in your area?

I googled - real estate agents ranking in sales...there's lots more.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:45 am
JPB wrote:
Does your company have a buy-out option if your house doesn't sell in time for you to move? You're staying within the company, they're supporting your move,... sometimes companies will purchase the house from you (and immediately relist it to get rid of it) to expedite the transfer.

Nope it states right on all the crap we received that the company will not buy your home - most likely because this is a huge move with lots of people involved.

Even so I asked. I figured I am the highest level moving from my group they must be able to do something to help me out. My boss at first got all these other options sent to her from HR - come to find out the following week it doesn't apply for my level or even my boss' level - it is a level above her that they will do anything at all (besides the stuff they have for everyone). And at that it is things like getting an IO loan or bridge loan and the company will pay the interest for a period of time.

I am even still waiting to see if they will approve me staying here for a period of time until I sell. This approval is going through the ranks now. I find it unlikely they won't approve this, but you never know.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:52 am
CalamityJane wrote:

A good agent will promote your house repeatedly in your local papers,
on the internet, perhaps craigslist and other listings that would promise a
large circulation. A good agent is readily available to show properties,
also evenings and on weekends, he/she will have color brochures available
for distribution around town (local banks, small stores etc.) and your
home should be available to prospective buyers for a preliminary virtual tour online through the brokers website or other MLS channels.

Linkat, ask your realtor exactly where he advertises and how readily it
is accessible to potential clients. The more channels he'll give you the
more you know he's working in you favor.

He advertises on Boston.com; he has sent color postcard type listings in the mail to targeted audiences; we have a virtual tour that is available from all these websites you mention. He is always there when there is a showing; he has color brochures; he does seem to do all the stuff mentioned for the most part.

He came over today, because we changed up our bedroom - it had darker colors from the stager - we lighten up buying new bedlinen and window treatment. He took new pictures to put on our website. He also took some pictures of outside - because even though we are in a condo we have a really pretty and nice outside area - we feel a good selling point

He also added in on our website and info that we will pay 3 months condo.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:54 am
Chai wrote:
hey linkat

I just happened upon this SITE

Could something like this help you, or is there something comparable in your area?

I googled - real estate agents ranking in sales...there's lots more.

thanks I'll take a look - I tried googling but couldn't find anything useful - your terminology may be better to find what I'm looking for.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 12:55 pm
I looked it up and according to the info - his last sale was in 2007 and since then he has sold one property a year.

We also got a call from a "friend" of the stager who asked my husband some questions. An expert - realtor. She thought our place was over priced due to how he answered questions - things about how many people came to the open houses/how many open houses/how many other viewings.

Not sure if she is helping her friend - it isn't that she is drumming up business for herself because we can't technically use her.

I am having my husband call another agent that was trying to get our business (he has left several messages before) - see what he suggests and try to get a pusle on what is really true.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:49 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Selling a home is serious business here, Margo.

I imagine selling your home is a serious business wherever you are. It certainly was for me when I sold my last house. Expect to leave this one feet first!

We have people who do that sort of thing here - but I've never heard the phrase "home stager"!
0 Replies