4
   

My dog drew all over the couch!

 
 
shewolfnm
 
  1  
Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:31 pm
HA!

No.
I meant, if HAVING balls gave boys more need to chew, then I would have to get Kongs for Ian..


but.. I could always neuter him and test that theory..
0 Replies
 
Diane
 
  1  
Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:33 pm
Oh..... Embarrassed
0 Replies
 
cyphercat
 
  1  
Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:55 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Oh hold the phone folks.....this dog has not been neutered?????? Is there a good reason why?????


Oops! I really didn't mean to start that conversation up again for serious, I was just funnin' -- sorry, Robert Embarrassed

So, yeah, Glitterbag, RG had a whole thread about it and defended his decision for pages and pages! I bet he doesn't want to get into it again--he definitely has put thought into it, though. Sorry everybody, now let's get back to talking about how to market Harry's work. It sounds very avant-garde to me, it's probably gonna be priceless.
0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:28 am
Well RG may be confusing his junk with the dogs junk. The dog doesn't need the junk and will be less likely to be hit by a car chasing after the scent of a bitch in heat. RG's junk will be just fine, I promise the vet won't touch it. Just for good measure, I don't think it's a matter of putting a lot of thought into it, it boils down to emotional attachment and frankly the dog's junk can't be of use to RG.
0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:30 am
shewolfnm wrote:
If that were the case then I would have to have kongs for my husband Confused


You made me laugh out loud!!!!! Thanks for the post.
0 Replies
 
shewolfnm
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:34 am
Actually. neutered dogs still have sex. They still chase females in heat and they still hump your leg.

The difference is that there is ...nothing.. that comes out.

I have, and have had, many fixed doggies before.
It just ensures that they dont make babies..it doesnt stop them from being sexual creatures.

and the odds of a dog chasing a female dog in heat is pretty slim.

If the female is IN HEAT and is close to him, she will pause.
Remember, heat is painful for female cats and dogs. They WANT sex to make it stop. Sometimes the female will run outo f fear, but not often.

Granted.. I am no expert. I am only reporting from the things I have seen with my own eyes.
Chihuhuas, shepards, spitz, Rottie.
I have either had them, lived with them, or they belonged to my friends and they were a part of my life because of it.
Out of all of the dogs I have been around/had only 2 were female.

but again.. my opinion is not stone cold facts. Just observations that never changed from dog to dog
0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:44 am
I didn't mean to confuse the issue.....one of the breeders in the Vizsla club lost a dog when he took off in a rush to search for the female who was in heat. She wasn't running, but he caught her scent and was so determined to find her he ran right out in front of a truck. Now that dog was not neutered......I have had male dogs and my experience is that they are less likely to claw their way out of the house to get to a female in heat. I do agree that they are sexual and that's not a problem. It's the puppies that are conceived and wind up God knows where with God knows who, I'm concerned about. Too many dogs wind up in shelters and are put down because no one want to care for them.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:47 am
Been there.

Done that discussion:

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113398&start=0
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:36 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Well RG may be confusing his junk with the dogs junk. The dog doesn't need the junk and will be less likely to be hit by a car chasing after the scent of a bitch in heat. RG's junk will be just fine, I promise the vet won't touch it. Just for good measure, I don't think it's a matter of putting a lot of thought into it, it boils down to emotional attachment and frankly the dog's junk can't be of use to RG.


The dog's already going to lose his balls over the urine marking he insists on. I'm not emotionally attached to my dog's balls (seriously, do all women subscribe to such shallow pop psychology? You aren't the first to jerk your knee in that direction.) and merely dislike the mass misinformation spread in advice like yours.

My thread purported to debunk the common misconceptions about castration that people like you parrot and has nothing to do with what I feel about my dog's balls. He broke our "stop peeing and keep your balls" deal and they are going to be history.
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:48 pm
Harry has to sell his work to pay for the hundreds and hundreds of dollars in damage he did or he's going to have to find his own place. He's cooperating so far and took some promo shots of his first piece with me today.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1056/img1835sk1.jpg

Closeup of his art:

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5295/img1834xh6.jpg
0 Replies
 
cyphercat
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:52 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
I'm not emotionally attached to my dog's balls (seriously, do all women subscribe to such shallow pop psychology?


Hey, the guys like that are really out there, you know... Maybe you've just never heard any of them talking about it, but I've known guys that made no bones about it, --hee hee -- just flat out said that they wouldn't allow it because it would make their dog feel less masculine. C'mon, that's pretty obviously about their feelings, not the dog's.

.....Oh, and "Neuticles"? Have you seen those? Silicone implants so your dog will still "look and feel like himself." Laughing People definitely have some funny ideas about dog balls.

Quote:
He broke our "stop peeing and keep your balls" deal


I don't know if dogs can really be held to verbal agreements, you know...Just be careful, he could have a pretty good case to make if he decides to take you to court over this.
0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:54 pm
Wow you sound cranky. You dog is not peeing in the house because he is intact, it's because he hasn't been successfully housebroken. I would urge you to check with a dog trainer because that behaviour can be changed but simply neutering him is not the answer.

As someone mentioned earlier, you have expressed your desire to maintain your dogs testicles in multiple pages....I remember reading a few of them some time ago.....I couldn't continue to read all the excuses because, well because. But I still believe your desire to keep him intact has more to do with emotion than practical matters. If I am parroting what a lot of other folks have said, so it goes. There is a reason certain behaviour becomes a stereotype, it's because it happens over and over and over.

Also your reasons for neutering your animal now seem punitive. You can't bargain with a dog because he doesn't understand the stakes. It's a little like expecting the dog to not eat your socks or rocks or anything else that resulted in a surgery because the dog "learned his lesson". Rule of thumb, you need to understand dog behaviour because dogs ain't kids you can reason with. And they ain't furry people. I love my dogs and enjoy the crap out of them, but I don't expect them to train theirselves. They are dogs!!!!
0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:00 pm
Oh crap, I just saw the picture of the pouch in question. You do know that the little breeds take longer to train in the peeing arena, don't you???? My son has a French Bull-Dog and he was neutered at the right time but up until recently was wont to tinkle on anything hanging on door knobs, like a freshly pressed shirt. It's in their nature to mark things until you train them not to.....and you do that by catching them in the act and correcting them. It's time consuming, but if you don't put in the time, then content yourself to continue to sniff the dog urine that he will be depositing around the house.
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:09 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Wow you sound cranky.


I don't abide misinformation, but it doesn't usually make me cranky unless it's being foisted on me by a particularly obdurate individual.

Quote:
You dog is not peeing in the house because he is intact, it's because he hasn't been successfully housebroken. I would urge you to check with a dog trainer because that behaviour can be changed but simply neutering him is not the answer.


He was successfully housebroken and with the onset of puberty began to urine mark. Castrating him won't eliminate this but it sure will make it easier, and any competent dog trainer will tell you that urine marking is a tough behavior to train against.

I will deal with it through both training and castration.

Quote:
As someone mentioned earlier, you have expressed your desire to maintain your dogs testicles in multiple pages....I remember reading a few of them some time ago.....I couldn't continue to read all the excuses because, well because.


No, I joked about my dog being "attached" to his balls (and he, quite literally, is) and spent time refuting the nonsensical reasons people give to advocate castration.

Quote:
But I still believe your desire to keep him intact has more to do with emotion than practical matters.


I, in turn, believe the "practical matters" you can come up with are largely based on apocryphal information but go ahead and ascribe it to emotion, I don't really want to get into it on this thread (if you want to argue go to the thread and pick a bone with something there).

Quote:
If I am parroting what a lot of other folks have said, so it goes. There is a reason certain behaviour becomes a stereotype, it's because it happens over and over and over.


Actually I'm talking about the notion that prostate cancer is less likely in castrated dogs. That's a stereotype that exists because of a lack of skepticism on the part of people who parrot the misinformation and not because it "happens over and over".

Quote:
Also your reasons for neutering your animal now seem punitive. You can't bargain with a dog because he doesn't understand the stakes.


If I seem cranky to you it might be because you are taking a silly joke seriously and being awful matronizing about it.

Of course I know that my dog is not able to enter verbal contracts and the balls as punishment is an inside joke between my girlfriend and I and not something we expect Harry to understand.

Quote:
It's a little like expecting the dog to not eat your socks or rocks or anything else that resulted in a surgery because the dog "learned his lesson". Rule of thumb, you need to understand dog behaviour because dogs ain't kids you can reason with. And they ain't furry people. I love my dogs and enjoy the crap out of them, but I don't expect them to train theirselves. They are dogs!!!!


Sigh... thanks for sharing. I now know that my dog is not human.

Now can I get back to joking about my dog's behavior without your "advice"?
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:11 pm
On the art, I rather like it. Quite a delicacy in his line drawing... I'm afraid I might prefer the couch with the drawing more than without it, and I would have liked the couch anyway. I can be rather sentimental though. My own couch used to be quite hairy...
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:15 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Oh crap, I just saw the picture of the pouch in question. You do know that the little breeds take longer to train in the peeing arena, don't you????


Yes.
0 Replies
 
Izzie
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:58 pm
Oh Harry "Lowry" has such potential as an artist. Now - which part of the line drawing did the cat do... matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dawgs...

he's awfully cute too.... sorry Harry.... handsome!
0 Replies
 
Diane
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 05:30 pm
Harry is more talented than most elephants, with less 'pickup' to do. Count you blessings.

Balls or no balls, he is a cutie!
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 07:07 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
Harry has to sell his work to pay for the hundreds and hundreds of dollars in damage he did or he's going to have to find his own place. He's cooperating so far and took some promo shots of his first piece with me today.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1056/img1835sk1.jpg

Closeup of his art:

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5295/img1834xh6.jpg




Great line.....needs more colour and form.




Seriously...can you get that off the sofa?


I can't believe someone said "tinkle". I thought thta was a film thing.


Balls or no, I am sure Harry pisses like a dog!
0 Replies
 
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 07:31 pm
By the way, a leather sofa won't be such a great idea either.
One of our previous dogs (small too) used to get so upset when we left
him alone, he jumped on our leather sofa and started scratching
his life away. The sofa looked horrible after a few months, and we never
could train him to NOT go on the sofa. Well, he stayed off it when we
were at home, but the minute we left he was on it and started digging....
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

The Dog House - Discussion by Aldistar
A woman kicked my dog. - Discussion by Ceili
How often do you let your dog offleash - Question by DNA Thumbs drive
Dogs Are People, Too - Discussion by Miller
My dog has kennel cough. - Question by boomerang
High Anxiety - Question by koreyklr
Dogs killing rats - Question by simarloto
jealous new dog - Question by michelle1982
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/15/2019 at 03:40:59