My dog drew all over the couch!

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:18 am
haha. this morning i got up and my dog started "nipping" my shoes, it was only a few seconds, they were on my feet...

and now i mysteriously have no lace in my right shoe.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:50 am
Cover your furniture with plastic and buy washable crayons for him.

Your place will look like hell, but the furniture will have a longer life span.

Many lab puppies are terribly naughty, but they grow up to be wonderful, well-behaved and loving adults. Hopefully your dog will be the same.

One tip: Don't let him chew on old socks or old pieces of furniture. He won't be able to distinguish between old and new--or ( a good possibllity) he will choose not to make the distinction...

Give him time and you just hope for the best.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 03:23 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
boomerang wrote:
On a more serious note -- many flower bulbs are toxic, even lethal, to dogs. (I learned this the hard, expensive, emergency vet visit way.)

Thanks for the heads up. Yesterday I bought new plants (fully grown) to replace the bulbs but I didn't make sure to remove them all.

As to Harry's art, he better start selling it soon to buy replacement couches.

Actually, I feel bad.

Your way of writing made it seem funny, whereas, in fact, it seems he has a truly amazing amount of serious damage. I would have considered immediate defenestration in similar circumstances. I think you are being very zen or something about the whole thing.

I doubt the same for dogs, but I use lots of pebbles in my pots to discourage their use as toilets by felines. So far it has worked.

If that hadn't worked, I was considering something sharp and truly unpleasant to paws....like maybe chickenwire bent and scrunched to make lots of sharp bits....or going hunting for something that wouldn't look too bad, but would be doscouraging to paws, and, in your case, snouts.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Fiona helped.

My friends had two cats, one would roll eggs from the egg basket on the kitchen table up to the end of the table, where there was a hard slate slab in front of thr old wood-burning kitchen stove, and drop them there, so they always broke.

The OTHER cat loved eggs...and would lap them up.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:16 am
Hmm, he just chewed up a cell phone overnight. He's starting to piss me off.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:07 am
muzzle?

seriously..
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:47 am
I have a 6 month old Vizsla, there isn't anything they won't try to eat or play with until it is in shreds. They grow out of it eventually, but I crate my little darling when I can't watch her and she loves her crate. I know some folks think it's cruel, but if you toss in a few toys, a few treats, they won't mind and they quickly decide they like their little dens.

Sometimes I have to crate her when I am taking a shower because she loves the water and wants to shower with me....which wouldn't be that big of a deal except she wants to take the soap and wash cloth away because every thing is a biiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggg game right now. Also trying to dry off is crazy because she wants to attack the towel....and if she misses the towels she can leave some wicked bruises and scratches on my legs.

But, Puppies rule.....I love my pup...she makes me laugh.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:15 pm
Why not buy a kong? That occupies them for hours without being
destructive to furniture and other things.

http://www.puppy-training-solutions.com/image-files/rubber-kong-dog-toys.jpg

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp51/cc/i/kong-filling.gif
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:15 am
Harry has a bunch of toys, and once had a kong but they are all a bit big for him.

I'm going to have to crate him for a while till he calms down. One thing that's bothering him is that he hasn't had a walk in days, but it's been raining every day and he'll have to control himself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:21 am
Hmmm....missing the courtyard?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:31 am
No, he's just a bastard and we need to dog-proof the house (selling that couch was part of the plan so we could replace it with a leather couch for e.g.). At the old house he would chew anything he can find as well. He chewed a laptop cord, about 4 or 5 pairs of glasses, and the curtains.

For example, he chewed the speaker wires the day before the TV stand (which allows the wires to be hidden from him) arrived.

I think he needs more exercise, and we need to dog-proof more. But until then, he's spending some time in the crate (the new one, since he chewed through the last two).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:33 am
Oh, he also finally worked his way through my sandals. But at least he didn't get at the shoes. He's gone through a few pairs of new heels and came closer to dying than he'll ever know.

One day, I'm giving him a bill and he's going to have to get a job.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:15 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
Oh, he also finally worked his way through my sandals. But at least he didn't get at the shoes. He's gone through a few pairs of new heels and came closer to dying than he'll ever know.

One day, I'm giving him a bill and he's going to have to get a job.

Put him on the streets.

Fiona can be his pimp.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:37 am
Your dog is still a puppy, right?

So is mine. I love dogs but I'm not a big fan of puppies.

Have you considered a treadmill for your dog? I'd be lost without mine. Diamond doesn't like to go walking in the rain and we've had an excepionally wet spring.

Diamond has ignored every Kong I've tried but the Kong Binkie. He loves that one. He also likes to chew on hard plastic (Gatorade bottles being his favorite).

He pretty much leaves our stuff alone unless he's trying to get us to play -- chase him to get it back then tug of war it away from him. I've been working on fetch games with approved toys using the command "Drop it" before I'll touch the object to throw again. Now he knows that when I say "drop it" that the game is over until he does indeed drop it.

When he steals stuff I stop, say "drop it" and give him a pat on the head when he drops it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:16 am
I don't know if your yard is large enough for this but my dogs have always liked to chase the beam from a flashlight. When they get too wound up from lack of exercise, I just swing the light back and forth and let them run their legs off. They will do this in the rain even though they don't normally like getting their toes wet (pretty pathetic for sporting dogs....but I've babied them). The neighbors thought we were nuts because they couldn't see the dogs just the light sweeping the yard (at night).

Exercise is the key, and it sucks when the weather is bad because the dogs get all wound up with no constructive way to burn up that energy. If you get a chance log on to YouTube and click on Vizsla's.....see if you can check out the film clip of a Vizsla stuck in the house for two days during a prolonged rain storm......it's Vizsla at it's manic best.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:10 pm
Hey, now it's going to come in really handy that you didn't de-nut him -- this way you can still threaten him with it! Smile
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:29 pm
Oh hold the phone folks.....this dog has not been neutered?????? Is there a good reason why?????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 07:10 pm
Puppies chew...with or without balls.

Then they grow up and don't chew so much.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:19 pm
Well yeah, but the balls give them that extra, um, vigor, you might say.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:24 pm
If that were the case then I would have to have kongs for my husband Confused
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:28 pm
You are a crazy bitch but I love ya. And I know Mr. Wolfie loves you too. I bet he'd wear Kongs anywhere for you.

BTW, by Kongs, do you mean King Kong balls? If so, I am soooo impressed (and awfully stupid about these things--Kong balls, that is).
0 Replies