Staying at Hotels – love ‘em; hate ‘em?

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 11:52 am
My daughter told me that she loves staying at hotels - she loves the smell of hotels.

Do you like staying at hotels? What sort of hotels do you prefer? Small cozy B&Bs, boutique; budget; resort lavish; high end snobby?

In the past 6 months we have been to two different (both really nice) hotels in Texas. One we brought our children - we stayed at the Four Seasons. And the other - just me and hubby - we stayed at the Gaylord. Both we were nice, but very different. The Four Seasons was beautiful elegance and incredible top-notch service. The Gaylord was huge - almost a small town to itself - anything you wanted you could find right within the hotel. The hotel itself could be your entertainment. I preferred the Four Seasons - I loved the service and how they made you feel as if you were the only guest. My daughters loved it too. The still ask to go back to that hotel - my older daughter described it as a hotel for princesses (probably because she was treated like one there).

So what do you like in a hotel?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,490 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 12:03 pm
That's a hard question linkat.

90% of the time I stay at a hotel it's for business, and I don't get to do more than shower and sleep.

I don't look forward or dread staying at a hotel, it's just what has to be done.

What do the staff do to make you feel like you're the only guest?

I never ask for anything, I'm not fussy, and as long as it's clean and safe I'm fine.

Sheratons have really comfy beds, but if that's not where I'm sent to stay, I don't think about it.

I'm not even sure what I'd do in a hotel besides go to my room and go to sleep.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 12:03 pm
Ooooh!

Best hotels so far, off the top of my head:

- Teensy, cheap place in Paris. Converted from some sort of living quarters. Great views, interesting old furniture, really great [French term here that I can't remember, not concierge though], an ~ 65-yr-old Frenchwoman who would happily tell us where the best ____ was.

- Castle. Real-live [15th-century?] castle, converted. Thick stone walls, turrets, everything. Inside was actually fairly modest, not really lush. Good perks like fruit baskets and stuff though. AMAZING views of English countryside, strolling peacocks, etc.

- New hotel in Minneapolis. Caters to pilots going in and out of Minneapolis-St. Paul airport. AMAZING beds and down comforters. (I felt like the proverbial princess and the pea when I came home to my usual bed -- ack, how could I ever sleep on THIS abomination??) Room itself is pretty normal, and it's in anonymous strip-mall suburbia. But every room is a suite. This means that I could let sozlet sleep in the main room and then go through the connecting door to the "sitting room" and read or write or watch TV or whatever until she woke up. And so she actually got enough sleep! She loves travel but it's incredibly hard to keep her asleep once I wake up, usually. So this was the best with-sozlet vacation ever for that reason.

Sozlet loves hotels too. I usually do, but depends. Love room service!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 12:36 pm
How do they make you feel you are the only guest? It starts when you first walk into the hotel. They greet you at the door with a huge smile and wonderful greeting - someone make you feel they have been waiting for you to arrive. They talk to your children and welcome them. You go to check in with no or very little wait. They immediately refer to you by name and again just make it seem as if they were waiting for you. Often times there is refreshment available - free of charge. They act like your children are little angels even if they are acting like little devils.

Whenever you are in the lobby, they talk with you and ask if they can do anything, how is your stay, etc. Not overwhelming like they are chasing you, simply like regular conversation. Again they chat with the children and treat them like little princesses. The housekeeping staff also is friendly.

When we came down to lobby the afternoon after checking in, the check-in person, not only remembered us, but called the children over and gave them little long horned cattle stuffed animals. Later during our trip this same person asked the kids what they named them. (How the h*ll do they remember?). They had children sized robes placed in our room and milk and cookies in the room at night.

The power in our room went out and we were trying to press out our clothes for the day. We called the front desk - they were there within just a couple of minutes and housekeeping pressed our clothes free of charge within 15 minutes.

And that is just a sample.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 12:45 pm
I love the idea of a hotel.
It makes me feel like I am on a real vacation.

Though, I refuse to spend a lot of money on one. I mean.. it is only for storing my stuff and sleeping. Vacation does not revolve around what the hotel has to offer. It revolves around the people I am seeing or the places I want to go.
Days inn, motel 6... those kinds of places are right up my alley.
Cheap,clean, and located everywhere..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 12:55 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I love the idea of a hotel.
It makes me feel like I am on a real vacation.

Though, I refuse to spend a lot of money on one. I mean.. it is only for storing my stuff and sleeping. Vacation does not revolve around what the hotel has to offer. It revolves around the people I am seeing or the places I want to go.
Days inn, motel 6... those kinds of places are right up my alley.
Cheap,clean, and located everywhere..

I agree in some sense - depends on what type of vacation.

If it is say going to a Carribben resort - then it does in many cases revolve around what the hotel has to offer - the beach, pool, water sports...

If I am touring Europe, then it has nothing to do with the hotel and cheapo is they way to go.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 12:57 pm
Castle sounds awesome!

Once when I went to Ireland we stayed at a friend's family owned hotel. It was great - right on the sea, room that overlooked the view all for just about $20 (seeing we were friends) - they even made breakfast special for us.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 01:50 pm
Next time you stay in a hotel, bring a black light.

Hotel CSI
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 02:07 pm
Linkat wrote:
How do they make you feel you are the only guest? It starts when you first walk into the hotel. They greet you at the door with a huge smile and wonderful greeting - someone make you feel they have been waiting for you to arrive. They talk to your children and welcome them. You go to check in with no or very little wait. They immediately refer to you by name and again just make it seem as if they were waiting for you. Often times there is refreshment available - free of charge. They act like your children are little angels even if they are acting like little devils.

Whenever you are in the lobby, they talk with you and ask if they can do anything, how is your stay, etc. Not overwhelming like they are chasing you, simply like regular conversation. Again they chat with the children and treat them like little princesses. The housekeeping staff also is friendly.

When we came down to lobby the afternoon after checking in, the check-in person, not only remembered us, but called the children over and gave them little long horned cattle stuffed animals. Later during our trip this same person asked the kids what they named them. (How the h*ll do they remember?). They had children sized robes placed in our room and milk and cookies in the room at night.

The power in our room went out and we were trying to press out our clothes for the day. We called the front desk - they were there within just a couple of minutes and housekeeping pressed our clothes free of charge within 15 minutes.

And that is just a sample.

Yeah, that's nice, and I can totally see where if you're into that as a hotel experience, it'd make you feel good.

I guess I'm a really utilitarian person. To rephrase my first sentence as it would apply strictly to me, I'd have said....Yeah, that's nice, I guess.

I guess I figure if you staying at a decent place, they're treating everyone like that, so I wouldn't feel like I was being treated special. Like I said, most of my occassional travel is related to business, so when I get there and the doorman, concierge, whatever, say hello and all that, I just say hello and smile back, and keep going to what I have to do.

Treating me nicely at check in is just expected, and if I had kids with me, I guess I'd just figure they'd be nice to them to....it's what they do for a living.

For the bucks you're paying, I'm betting they give all the kids stuffed animals, and ask them the next day what they are named.
Personally, I have a good memory for faces, so I wouldn't have a hard time remembering faces.

Not arguing with you at all linkat, just interesting how people can view things.

In the fall, we're going to niagara falls. I know we'll be out all day, so for most of the time I'll get a moderate priced hotel....but, I have already arranged for a room for 2 nights in a suite with a full view of both falls, on the 36 or something floor.

The only reason we wanted that is so we can sit in the dark holding hands and watching the falls at night from our room. I really don't care about any special amenities like exercise rooms or restaurants. I want to be out doing things.

On the other hand, I went camping....once. I am not an 24 hour outdoorsy girl.

Fortunatly, Wally is like me, at the end of the day no laying on the ground listening to hooty owls.....and a shower.

Like I said, I'm really basic....my idea of a day in hell would be to spend it in some spa where, from what I hear they do all this stupid **** to you and make you give them money. Someone I know said "But it's relaxing". I said "If I want to relax I go to bed"

One time I went to this hairdresser I never been to before...she shampooed my hair, then put on the conditioner, and I'm waiting for her to rinse it out. Instead, she's talking to me, and doing some rubbing around and smearing conditioner all over and I'm thinking "Christ almighty, this conditioners going to be all running down my neck." I'm trying to answer her comments, finding it really hard because I'm ready to jump out of my skin because she won't stop f*cking around. Seriously, I was REALLY getting freaked out.

Finally, after an eternity, I finally said "What the hell are you doing to my head?"

She said "Oh, I'm giving you a massage"

I said "Well Goddamn it, stop it!"

That's not like me, really, I just couldn't stand it any longer.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:42 am
Chai -

Well I do like to be pampered. Especially when the hotel is being paid by my company.

I don't think I would have paid the price I am sure the room normally would cost.

The room was beautiful too and overlooked the golf course.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:05 am
I like to stay during vacancies in b&b's or (private) guesthouses, not in hotels. This makes me (us) feel like being part of the family (though Mrs Walter [sometimes] doesn't like that "close telationship".

In between, it's quite nice to stay in a four or five star hotel: their service really is extraordinary, the rooms aren't like you stayed in any hotle at any place, the breakfast buffet is just extraordinary large ...

But that's only for one or two nights .... due to costs. :wink:
(So we usually stay in privately owned - not chain - hotels.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 11:36 am
Stay here if you ever get a chance. Some of you may have a flashback if you click on "Evan's Story".

http://www.crockerhouseinn.com/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:12 pm
I like hotels, motels, b & b's, and I too have low interest in camping, though I was fine with some tents with cots at Yosemite.

Some favorites -
The Garza Blanca in Puerto Vallarta. Now it's a developed vacation condo resort at a good beach, but in the late sixties it was only a few beautiful cottages with accompanying restaurant/tennis courts. It was at the time my idea of ultimate luxury. Puerta Vallarta has changed a great deal since my visits there. There was one traffic signal then, for example...

At the other end of luxe, I've also stayed in Vallarta at a hotel where the rooms were $2.00 a night, in the early seventies, and liked it fine.

Albergo Casalta near Monteriggioni in Tuscany - major favorite
http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/chiantalbcasalta.en.html

http://www.booking.com/images/hotel/max200/214/214806.jpg

Favorite hotel in Rome, not least because of Luigi at the desk -

http://www.romeby.com/hotelvillaspio/pages/gallery.htm

In and around Florence, I can't pick just one..

Hotel Morandi alla Crocetta (previously an old convent)

http://www.hotelmorandi.it/profilo_GB.htm

http://www.hotelmorandi.it/gallery_0-008_max.jpg

I had a tiny but exquisite room in Loggiato dei Serviti, originally the Servite monastery that formed the third part of the gorgeous piazza S. Santissima Annunziata - across from Brunelleschi's orphanage and kittycorner to the S. Annunziata church. all with similar loggias, the orphanage being, I've read, the first renaissance building.

Their website -
http://www.loggiatodeiservitihotel.it/en/index.htm

Those two hotels are quite near each other.

Also on piazza S. S. Annunziata is the Hotel le Due Fontane, where my husband and I stayed our first time in Italy.
In the website photo, it is the red building on the left. We had a balcony room. I thought I was in heaven looking from the balcony as sunset colored the loggia of the church (where the photographer is standing).

http://www.leduefontane.it/uk/index.cfm

What else..

Villa Viloresi, in the Florence suburb Sesto Fiorentino, handy to two Medici villa gardens. A splurge for us for one day's stay.

http://www.ila-chateau.com/villoresi/pic03.jpg

http://www.ila-chateau.com/villoresi/pic02.jpg

Back to earth, I liked the Hotel Adagio in San Francisco - cool style, and it was inexpensive as a package with my plane fare on that trip (SF a2k meet in 2004). Also handy to Union Square, etc.
http://www.jdvhotels.com/adagio/?cid=gl_adg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:46 pm
Some beautiful pictures there.

Yeah some B&Bs can be really nice and friendly - it sorts of depends how friendly you what our host to be though. I've had mixed - some that are nice and the host is just the right friendliness and others were the host was just straight out weird. It does make staying some where more of an adventure though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:51 pm
Hotels, yes. The beds, the tv's, the linens I don't have to clean. Niiiice.

B&B type-places, no. I don't want to feel like I'm at someone else's dining table. The whole idea kinda creeps me out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:34 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Hotels, yes. The beds, the tv's, the linens I don't have to clean. Niiiice.

B&B type-places, no. I don't want to feel like I'm at someone else's dining table. The whole idea kinda creeps me out.

B&Bs vary so much. I stayed at one where it was like being at someone else's dining table - that is where one of the weird ladies was - the rooms were in the basement - they were very nice actually - I think there were three rooms and you did basically have breakfast at her dining room table.

All the others I stayed at were larger so they had an area where you had breakfast that wasn't so much there own personal dining room - it was for guests only.

The one place I stayed in Vermont was beautiful. There were several rooms in the main house and the rest were in little cottages on the grounds. You had breakfast in the main house where it was a bit more like a restaurant set up rather than a personal dining room.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:41 pm
I love hotels...of any kind. We do not do it a lot except on vacation. So I immediately associate stays with relaxing and pampering.

We go to Chatanooga, TN once a year usually - our favorite place to stay is Sheraton Read House. It is a beautiful hotel that has been renovated. The boys sleep in the front portion of the sweet on the pull out couch and me and hubby have the bedroom to ourselves. It is quite lovely. The pool is amazing and the food is great. It is in the middle of downtown Chatanooga and we are surrounded with history and great things to do.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:47 pm
I like the Sheraton Reed House building...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:54 pm
I don't like the chain hotels so much, even though I have stayed in them and will so in future - no surprises as they all look alike.

In Europe, I do prefer the smaller hotels or B&Bs as they're really nice and
the staff is very attentive. When I was last in NYC, I booked a small boutique
hotel that was actually a converted brownstone - so beautiful, and no
disturbance from anyone. I loved it!

In Denver, we stayed once in an old Victorian B&B which I enjoyed very
much. In Sedona, we stayed at an old lodge at the oak creek canyon
and there we could take the dog with us.

I guess, all in all, I definitely prefer the small quaint places.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:58 pm
mismi wrote:
I love hotels...of any kind. We do not do it a lot except on vacation. So I immediately associate stays with relaxing and pampering.

We go to Chatanooga, TN once a year usually - our favorite place to stay is Sheraton Read House. It is a beautiful hotel that has been renovated. The boys sleep in the front portion of the sweet on the pull out couch and me and hubby have the bedroom to ourselves. It is quite lovely. The pool is amazing and the food is great. It is in the middle of downtown Chatanooga and we are surrounded with history and great things to do.

good grief...suite - hello.
0 Replies