alex240101

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:07 am
@ossobuco,
Hello ossobuco.
Run jar lid under tap/sink hot water.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:12 am
About a year ago, I couldn't figure out why the wine cork was being so stubborn. I probably spent a solid five minutes on it, with no option, in my mind, of putting it away until tomorrow as Ossso was able to do.

I'd had unknowingly purchased a screw top.
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:18 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
The jar is small, filled with herring in wine sauce. I'm trying to eat more fish, as it happens.

how many jars of pickled herring are you planning to consume daily to increase your fish intake ?
Laughing

make sure you buy the big jars !

http://www.bubbies.com/images/prod_pickled_herring_lg.jpg

i suspect osso is filling up with herrings because they are in WINE - now i get it !
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:58 am
@squinney,
Yep my husband did that about a week ago too. It was great - he was struggling and struggling to open it with a cork screw. I said wait, looked at the top and easily twisted it open.

More and more small wineries are using twist caps and we purchased this from a small winery while in CA.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 12:31 pm
@ossobuco,
I use a manual can opener like this one:
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7903/canopener.jpg
.....and it has always worked. You just have to lift the lid slightly with it and it releases the pressure of the seal.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 12:43 pm
Alex and TTH, in this case hot water and a regular beer cap type opener wouldn't have done it, due to the plastic seal I didn't notice.

Hamburgboy - wow, that is a big jar..

Note to all - I finally ate a bit of that herring..
TTH

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 12:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I realize that ossobuco, but if you do get a jar that doesn't have a plastic seal that is just another option on how to get it open.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 08:31 pm
I thought of this thread the other day when I had a moment of klutziness. I'm not terribly co-ordinated but thanks to t'ai chi my balance is pretty good. I regularly stand on one foot while sliding a sock on the other. (Although as I develop arthritis in my hips I find I'm steadier on my right foot than my left.) So I'm standing on my left foot (already you see where this is going...) and I'm pulling a sock onto my right foot when I realize I'm totally falling over (like "timber!") and I try to catch myself -- in the process slicing the back of my left thumb open with the nail of my right big toe (Yes, I do need a pedicure as a matter of fact). So now I'm tap dancing across the room (okay, more like shuffling off to Buffalo) and my thumb is squirting blood everywhere but you know, I never actually fell down. I cleaned the thumb with lots of peroxide and have been applying Bag Balm liberally every day. It's healing nicely but I think there's going to be a scar.
0 Replies