Crocs, suitable for work?

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 08:58 am
I'm looking at getting some Crocs for work, but I'm not sure which style to choose and if they'll look really dumb with smart trousers.

The choices of styles I'm thinking of are:

Alice
and
Mary Jane

I figure the Alice ones look smart, and simple, but kinda boring...

And the Mary Jane ones look a bit more 'croc' and like they'd be more comfortable in hot weather...
BUT will they look really silly because they've got holes in?

So, what do you think?

I was thinking black for both styles, so they actually look more like work shoes..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 18
No top replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:00 am
Mary Janes:

http://www.esunproof.co.uk/oscommerce-2.2ms1/catalog/images/CrocsMaryJaneBlackSmall.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qUpo5gZIL._AA280_.jpg

Alice:

http://www.shoemall.com/assets/product_images/styles/large/141880BLK1Z.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:03 am
What sort of work do you do? I have never thought of Crocs as suitable working shoes, but then again, I would have to know the type of milieu where you are performing your duties.

Of the two styles, the Alice is closest to business wear.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:20 am
It'll be office based work. I'm going to be working in my own office for a small health therapy business, for now... And it's for someone I know, so he shouldn't mind me wearing them. Plus I'll highlight the health benefits of them to him Razz

So basically office work.

See I think that too, but will they end up being too similar to the normal schuh shoes of that style that I have? Or will they be nice and cool and croc-like? This is my only concern and the thing that's drawing me to the mary janes....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:50 am
Again depends on where you work.

If your business requires business casual dress or better, then I would say no.

Personally I think they are butt ugly, but I know many people swear by their comfort.

I finally bent and allowed my daughter to get a pair - not crocs, but some other popular brand that all the kids like. I guess I bent because she is so difficult to buy shoes for - narrow feet so she finds few shoes that she is comfortable in. However, these types of shoes are not allowed in her school.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:54 am
I miss California. All this dress code crap is depressing.

Shorts everyday!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:32 am
One of the big hospitals here banned crocs because of all the accidents people have had wearing them: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/escalator.asp
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:13 am
boomerang wrote:
One of the big hospitals here banned crocs because of all the accidents people have had wearing them: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/escalator.asp

okay...this is true..and I love my Crocs...I have even grown to love how they look...though I only wear them with my jeans or while gardening. But I trip in them...a lot. So do the kids. I won't let them wear them to play. Only to run up to the grocery store or to the pool. Places where we will not be running.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 12:15 pm
I agree with the fact people trip in them a lot, so, I don't see the health benefits.

Also, you mention you know your new employer, so he shouldn't mind.

There is a separation between being someone you know, or a friend, and your employer.

In the workplace an employee has to abide by the same rules as everyone else.....no special treatment like being allowed leeway in dress because you know the boss personally.

Also, from the employers viewpoint, it would bother me if someone said I shouldn't mind something just because of a personal relationship, no matter how casual that relationship might be.

In fact, he may mind very much, but may feel uncomfortable saying something, because he knows you. One of the worst things a person can do is hire a friend who thinks "he won't mind, we're friends". Remember, on payday, the friend wants his full paycheck, not some of it. Even if the boss says "You shouldn't mind. I'll get it to you next week, but I had to make sure everyone else got paid. We know each other after all."
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 01:25 pm
Yeah, I don't like the proper clogs that much, but since buying a pair of the 'Cleo' sandals I'd like a pair of crocs I could wear on the less sunny days...

The health benefits are that they are more supportive to your feet/ankles/legs if you're stood up all day. They're also antibacterial. I hadn't heard about a load of tripping incidents.. Shocked

I'd also like to say about that report ... "WTF?" How in the hell? Also there are incidents from like 40 years ago involving other things on escalators... So I'd say it's the escalators that are the main danger... O_O

Anyway, I'm not bothered about that, I don't regularly use escalators, and not ones that would trap a bulky shoe like that.. I really don't see how they managed it... Confused

He's the one that's defined our relationship as 'friends' rather than employee/employer. Plus he's leniant with everything... Like...I'm allowed to make cocktails....while I work... 'parently...

I'm still not sure about which one. It's more the fact that I don't want to a get a shoe that's specifically for work, one that I can still wear with my jeans and stuff...but that won't look hideously boring. I need to think...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:23 pm
I had a boss who used to drink on the job.

He was an alcoholic.

If you're going to be working somewhere where one is allowed to drink, I don't think it matters what you wear, they'll be out of business soon enough.

Health therapy, drinking, crocs....sounds like a master plan.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:27 pm
I trip in any shoe I am wearing when I am drinking no matter where I am.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:44 pm
well there you go....

but, being a good wife that doesn't work outside the home, you can go barefoot if you want.

so, are you saying you regularly become snockered while making biscuts and knitting your husband sweaters?

wow, this having your husband go out and work so you can take care of the home is sounding better and better.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:47 pm
It ain't bad a'tall.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:52 pm
Tell me mismi, have you ever run on a treadmill drunk?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:54 pm
HA....no - I don't need to be drunk to fall on a treadmill. I can do that in my own natural state. Thank you very much.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:38 am
I'm not planning on staying there long, it's an in-between job...really...

I'm also not planning on making cocktails in his house, because, well...that's just freaky.

But that's how he is anyway, so I don't think he'll give a crap what I wear, he'll just say it accentuates my breasts or something damn weird.

Treadmills make me feel drunk. Why not just go for a walk instead? Where the ground doesn't whizz away under your feet? Confused
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 03:30 pm
Well, that's the Alice style out of the window. They're too narrow for my feet... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 03:55 pm
I wonder if Bindi wears them to work?
0 Replies