Free Food Freegans

Zippo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:51 pm
Quote:
From The Times
May 19, 2008
Price rises send New Yorkers delving into dustbins for free food
They are called Freegans -- and they want to get to the dustbins of fast-food chains' leftovers before the binmen do

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00339/bagels__339644a.jpg
Cindy Rosin, one of an increasing number of freegans, finds a bin bag full of discarded bagels outside a bakery in Manhattan

Suzy Jagger in New York

Soaring food prices have led to a growing number of middle-class New Yorkers joining an unusual organisation that "dumpster dives" in rubbish bins for food...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3958694.ece

Thanks to the son of a Bush. Mad

http://www.chuck.thechiefsource.com/hello/804228/480/bush_turkey1-2006.11.22-21.27.01.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 757 • Replies: 5
No top replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:55 pm
Zippo
The freegans have been around for some time. It isn't new. Some even moved here to WA.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 03:04 pm
TTH wrote:
Zippo
The freegans have been around for some time. It isn't new. Some even moved here to WA.

They've been around for about 8 years would you say?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 04:12 pm
The UK talking about middle class New Yorkers - I could live off the interest of the net worth captured in that picture.

Anyway, I feel like I'm teaching kindergarten just saying this, but look at the big picture. Possibility A, what I believe to be the more likely scenario, those people are getting off by doing it to make a statement or as a matter of hobbit-principle, in which case the pansies can eat garbage with my blessing. Possibility B, it's actually what they consider to be the most profitable use of their time. Very unlikely in this case and if they can't figure out a better gig but feel the need to enjoy a high-cost-of-living area they're beneath pity, but it does happen that one does well to be creative and doff ones pride/hygine to subsist. I mean, it's what they want us to think anyway, so lets take the bait.

Work all day, still can't pay

Thus, in this sorry state of affairs, one is best disposed to make ends meet by working and scrounging. Scrounging is inefficient, people have got by in the past by just working, so what's wrong with working now? As it turns out, the EPA and organized labor terrorized the steel mills out of business and much of the rest of American industry/manufacturing went similarly and/or consequentially. Democrats say we've each got to take care of 1/3 of someone else so a paycheck don't do all that much for you. To cover their tracks they blame a little armed conflict and refund-stimuli - **** that wouldn't make a dent in the funds of a competently run nation. How terrible - good thing the garbage-eaters brought it to our attention - something must be done about this...
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 04:55 pm
Zippo
I don't know how many years it has been. I am not a freegan.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 10:25 am
Not sure how long they have been around but here is there website:

http://freegan.info/

also not sure how people that don't want to work and get everything for free pays for a website
0 Replies