Will the Jews sink Obama?

Zippo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:45 am

May 19, 2008
Obama and the Jewish question

http://timesonline.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/19/obama_and_israel.jpg

That's the question asked by Mike Madden over on Salon.

The theory isn't hard to grasp. Here it is:

The GOP is already pushing, and pushing hard, the idea that Obama has a problem with the Jewish vote, because of his proposals to sit down to negotiate with Iranian leaders who have threatened Israel, because of his former pastor's ties to Louis Farrakhan and (though most Republicans don't bring this up) because of false fears that Obama is secretly Muslim.

So do I buy it? I do not.

To start off there's the maths. Yes there are a few key states with a Jewish vote theoretically big enough to swing the contest against Obama.

But this involves the sort of figure work people were using a month or so ago to suggest that Hillary would win using superdelegates. The plurality of Jews voting against Obama would have to be great and that is simply not realistic. Even if there is a small swing away from Kerry's Jewish numbers, it is unlikely to be big enough to make a decisive difference.

However, I accept that the votes of Jews isn't entirely irrelevant. Which brings me to a second point. Jews don't vote exclusively, even mainly, on foreign policy. That's true here and it's true in America.

Nobody could have tilted so far towards the standard Jewish views on Israel as George Bush yet still Jews voted overwhelmingly for his opponents. The view of conspiracy theorists and lazy analysts that the Jewish vote in the US has been the critical feature of US elections and Middle East policy simply isn't borne out by the historical record.

US policy in the Middle East reflects US interests and US values. Not Jewish influence.

If they don't vote predominantly on so-called Jewish issues then what does determine Jewish votes?

Overwhelmingly it is liberal sentiment. From marching with Martin Luther King to becoming a mainstay of Democratic fundraising, Jews have overwhelmingly identified with the liberal movement in America.

I think Obama will have a great deal of appeal to Jews.

Timesonline
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 534 • Replies: 11
No top replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:48 am
Stopping by to say Hi Zippo Very Happy
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:54 am
Hi TTH, You wont believe it but I was just thinking about how you'd look on top of me. Very Happy

Howz it hanging?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:57 am
Well I am on top of you (avatars) Laughing Laughing
Zippo I am doing good. Haven't seen you post for awhile. Good seeing you and hope things are good with you.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 10:15 am
TTH, have you posted a photo of youself on AK2 anywhere ? because I forgot what you look like. I kinda remember a picture of you on your avatar and you were really hot! Cool (check your PM)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 10:22 am
Yes, I did post a picture of myself. Hot? Thanks for the compliment Very Happy
Haven't heard that in a long time Laughing

I don't have any pm's, so what am I checking for Confused
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 10:35 am
Quote:
Yes, I did post a picture of myself.

Cool! can you send the link via PM? I am about to send you my photo. Laughing It's taking time to upload.

I hope my pic doesnt crash your PC. But I am sure your's will crash mine. It's probably going to turn all my software into hardware. Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 10:38 am
very funny zippo Laughing Laughing
I can't pm and I don't have a PC. I have a Mac Very Happy
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 10:47 am
Mad Oh well, I'll have to find virtual love. Can you start another thread here ( http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=2 )

call it "talking crap with zippo" Cool

So we can continue to talk crap and waste webspace. This thread has been killed. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:02 am
Sorry I killed your thread Laughing Laughing

Why can't I use my pm? Apparently a mean little Hamster says so, that is why. "Hamster 8565 reports - Private messages temporarily suspended"
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:07 am
TTH wrote:
Sorry I killed your thread Laughing Laughing

Why can't I use my pm? Apparently a mean little Hamster says so, that is why. "Hamster 8565 reports - Private messages temporarily suspended"

Why dont you kill the Hamster? I think I know why they've stopped you. Have you been arranging secret dates and sending nude photos to AK2 members? If so then WHY DIDNT I GET ANY!! Laughing

(kidding)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:20 am
I can't find the Hamster and I wouldn't kill a helpless little animal. Very funny about the nude pictures and no, no secret dates.
0 Replies