Tax cut man to the rescue

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 02:42 am
Love this animated cartoon which pretty much sums up my opinion of Bush junior.

http://www.markfiore.com/animation/taxcut.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,139 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 03:25 am
That about covers it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 08:32 am
That nails it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:42 pm
You guys DO realize what percantage of taxes is paid by whom, right? Because from I have seen around here lately it seems that many think THEY are paying way too much while the "rich" are getting tax cuts. Just curious is all.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:33 pm
McGentrix wrote:
You guys DO realize what percantage of taxes is paid by whom, right? Because from I have seen around here lately it seems that many think THEY are paying way too much while the "rich" are getting tax cuts. Just curious is all.

What's your point?

That the rich pay more taxes than the poor? That's no surprise: the rich have more money.

That the rich pay a higher percentage of taxes than the poor? That's no surprise either: the rich have disproportionately more money than the poor.

That the rich deserve a bigger tax cut because of the above-mentioned facts? That's open to debate.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:51 pm
What is it that is open to debate? They pay more, they save more. It's all percentages. It seems that the people complaining the most (around the entire US, not necessarily here) are those that pay the least. I don't get it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:59 pm
McGentrix,

I don;t see the tax cut as one for the rich. It's a flat cut and as such since the rich pay more it will help them more than the poor.

But I do think some of the complaints have validity. Namely that for the purposes of spuring the economy a tax cut that does not address things like employment (I'd have cut some of the employment related taxes if anything) and that increases the wealth divide instead of reducing it is counter-productive to the current economy.

Ok, well the tax cuts in themselves do not increase the divide but they could have taken the wealth into consideration instead of making a flat cut across the board.

In any case my real qualm with the tax cuts is the folly of decreasing income while increasing spending.

The deficit is a real concern and Bush is mortgaging our future.

Even if the cuts were to significantly help (which they won't) what Bush is doing is spending tomorrow's administration's money in his name.

This is a common tactic in underdeveloped countries. It's also one of the biggest reasons they stay underdeveloped. The Politicians have short terms so their efforts are short-term efforts. Instead of working on a long-term project like education they prefer to squander the future's money.

It's a risky thing to do.
0 Replies