California Supreme Court Strikes Down Same Sex Marriage Ban

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 03:13 pm
with so many important issues facing the worlod who really gives a **** about this one way or another? Or more to the point.... don't we have bigger fish to fry?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 03:22 pm
Foofie wrote:
cyphercat wrote:

There's a lot of research in the field of psychology that shows that in order to change the public's opinion in areas of prejudice, legislation has to lead the way; then public opinion follows suit. Interracial marriage is an example of this. Public opinion was strongly against it; it was only after the laws were changed that the populace overcame its racist aversion to interracial couples... Sometimes it's healthy for society if the laws change in favor of tolerance before popular opinion does.

I believe the above is specious; interracial marriage and gay marriage cannot be compared. In interracial marriage, children are born that are just humans of mixed parentage. When were two individuals of the same gender able to copulate that resulted in a pregnancy with a child born?

You are discussing a comparison of the "naturalness" of interracial unions and same-sex unions; "nature," fertility, etc, has nothing to do with my comparison. I was pointing out that there have been previous cases in marriage law where the law was changed before public opinion supported it. This was in response to a poster asking why the law should change if public opinion doesn't support it. Fertility is unrelated to that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 03:34 pm
Whatever god would rather see children abanoned in orphanages than raised by people who love and cherish and want them is absolutely no god I want to have anything to do with.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 03:47 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
with so many important issues facing the worlod who really gives a **** about this one way or another? Or more to the point.... don't we have bigger fish to fry?

There are a lot of people who are not in the closet who might like the right to marry whomever they please.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 03:54 pm
so let them live together ... or let them get married and stop f*cking with them about it... that's my opinion Harper/chrissee/roxxmanne... and feel free to make all the in the closet remarks you like...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 04:17 pm
I wonder if one reason there is an effort to make gay marriage legal is because, if it became standard in many states, it would imply that one's gayness (or being lgbt) is what one is born with. That is not proven. It is just the popular conception that seems to have been given credence by the establishment. But, it could be wrong. No one is sure what makes one gay. Many theories; none are proven.
0 Replies