545 People

baddog1

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 12:59 pm
545 People

by Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don't control monetary policy, The Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of 300+ million - are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress.

In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority.

They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman or a president to do one cotton-picking thing.

I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall.

No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits.

The president can only propose a budget.

He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes.

Who is the speaker of the House? She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow House members, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300+ million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and irresponsibility.

I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people.

When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.

If the Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they want them in IRAQ.

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.

Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like 'the economy,' 'inflation' or 'politics' that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people and they alone, are responsible.

They and they alone, have the power.

They (our elected officials in government), and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - WE THE PEOPLE - provided we the people ("voters") have the gumption to manage our own employees.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 660 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 01:06 pm
Re: 545 People
baddog1 wrote:
One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of 300+ million - are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

What a convient way to let himself - along with every other adult citizen in the country - off the hook...

Quote:

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

Hey, welcome to 2008! They've all been paying into Social Security for better than 30 years now. But then based on the rest of the ignorance displayed in his column I'm not surprised he isn't aware of that either.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 02:39 pm
Re: 545 People
Charlie Reese wrote:
Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits?

During the Clinton administration, the deficit was eliminated, and a surplus was run for several years. This was when a Democrat was in the White House, and the Republicans controlled the Congress.

Quote:
You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does.

Note the use of the verb "to propose." The President can only propose a budget. To that extent, a private citizens proposal is as valid as that of the President. Only when the Executive branch and the Congress are in the control of the same party, and the President and the members of that party in Congress are cooperating well, is there any significance to this otherwise meaningless statement, which is presented as though it were a crucial "fact."

Quote:
You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

That is a not quite accurate representation of how the Constitution grants the authority for revenue bills. Specifically, Article One, Section Seven, the first paragraph, reads, in its entirety:

All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

There is a very good reason for this. The House of Representatives is the only body of government as established by the original Constitution which is directly elected to represent the people based proportionally upon the population. But this statement is sufficiently misleading to be described as a lie--it implies that only the House votes on revenue bills. The Senate also votes on revenue bills, may propose amendments, and the President has the power to veto any such bill as he or she would consider irresponsible.

Does this clown suggest that there would be an improvement in governance by opening the process to 100,000,000 or more budget proposals, and a plebicite every time the government needs money? What a moron.

Quote:
You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

So? That is, among many other things, what we pay them for.

Quote:
You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

So? That is, among many other things, what we pay them for.

Quote:
You and I don't control monetary policy, The Federal Reserve Bank does.

The Chairman of the Federal Reserve is nominated by the President, and approved (it they so chose) by the Senate. If any head of the Federal Reserve were to implement monetary policy sufficiently odious to the people as to raise an outcry, the President and the Congress have a remedy ready at hand.

Quote:

Horseshit--is this clown suggesting that capitalist corporate policies have no effect on the economy, with its concomitant effect on the people? Are the commodities markets bands of innocent lads who simply make an honest living betting on the future prices of agricultural goods and raw materials? Are lending and credit institutions obliged to follow the direct orders of the executive, legislative and judicial branch in the policies which they pursue, such as the disastrous sub-prime lending policies which have crippled our economy? Does this idiot just make this **** up as he goes along?

As for the rest of this, it is so much rabble-rousing drivel, concocted from half-truths, lies and misdirection, intended to arouse indignation in the heart's of those who can't be bothered to inform themselves about what the constitution actually does say, and how the government works. So, for example, this idiot writes:

Quote:
The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes.

This is an outright lie. The House has no sole power to approve appropriations and taxes. I have already quoted the relevant portion of the Constitution.

Politicians are a necessary component of the effective management of the social contract. Without them, government would not be effective, because the idealists would be sheep among wolves in dealing with those with special interests, and those who lust for power would never in any way be accountable to the people for their venality, their thefts and their enormities. Were there no such thing as a politician, it would be necessary to create them. If we have a country cheerfully rolling to Hell in a handcar, the responsibility rests soley with the people who elect politicians and subsequently do not inform themselves about their activities nor inquire into the consequences until it is too late, reserving to themselves only the power to whine impotently.

That whole screed is a crock of sh*t.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 06:56 pm
Quote:
During the Clinton administration, the deficit was eliminated, and a surplus was run for several years. This was when a Democrat was in the White House, and the Republicans controlled the Congress.

I hate this line of dem propaganda. It's such BS.

The yearly BUDGET had a surplus, NOT the deficit. We were still deep in debt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 07:04 pm
You're confusing the national debt with a budget deficit. That, of course, is no fault of mine. The point was not partisan propaganda, which you would have realized if you weren't so eaten up by partisan bigotry--i mentioned not simply a Democrat in the White House, but a Republican congress. Given that the President can only sign a budget bill, refuse to sign it, or veto it, the complexion of Congress is at least as important, and in most cases, more important than the party affiliation of the President.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 07:26 pm
mcg wrote :

Quote:
The yearly BUDGET had a surplus, NOT the deficit. We were still deep in debt.

and ever bigger in debt now .
have you noticed what has happened to the u.S. dollar lately ?
it seems that the saudis aren't keen to be paid for the oil in a depreciated dollar - even after a trip by the vp. to saudi arabia trying to convince them to increase oil production .
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 08:06 pm
I just hope you don't think this is the answer:

http://www.pegatiros.com/reportajes/2a_guera_mundial/sgm/conflicto/reichstag.jpg
0 Replies