old air conditioner

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:47 pm
Im curious about the AC unit in our apt.

I am positive it is older then Ma and Pa kettle.. but since it works I can not expect it to be replaced.

What I notice is that.. on hot days.. days above 85 or so..
If I have the ac on for any temp.. the thing will hardly EVER turn off.

I can set it at 78 degrees.. and it will run.. and run.. and run.. and run.

I know that this could be many things-
Insulation issues of the building
Improper thermostat ( Maybe?)

Im wondering if there is anything that I can do.. that may help.

Is there such a thing as AC unit check ups so to speak?

i dont mind forking out the money for it .. I would not expect the landlord to any how Rolling Eyes

for christs sake.. Just today,, with out WARNING of any kind.. he has people ripping out our stairs..

which leaves me trapped upstairs.. and my husband wandering around some where because he can not get in..
(but that is another thread entirely..)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,813 • Replies: 85
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:52 pm
Get the coils cleaned, inside and outside. Have freon level checked. Make sure air flow in apt is unrestricted. Keep a clean filter at all times; change it about once a month.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:53 pm
Check on the air filter.
I do that.. even though they are reallllly hard to find

Coils..

Something I can clean myself? Should I call someone instead?

Is that essentially what ends up being cleaned when you spray the outside unit with a hose?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:53 pm
I bet Eb knows what of he speaks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:57 pm
be sure to check the exhaust side (outside) for icing which will happen and basically that will shut down the cooling capacity of the unit. if it is iced over turn it off and allow to thaw. stay tuned to what EB says.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:59 pm
If it does not turn off, and if it also does not cool very much, and if it's old, and if the room size matches the BTU, then my first guess is that it has lost a consequential amount of refrigerant.

If it's an in-window type, simply buy a new one, they are cheap enough alrighty.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:59 pm
i imagine that having a service person check the air-conditioner might be about the same cost as a new (window ?) air-conditioner - and you'll probably be told that you need a new one .
you might check the vents etc. to ensure that there is no dust-buildup . if the condenser fins get "plugged up" (dirty) the performance will start to drop off .
do you get plenty of airflow ?
if that's the case you should be able to clean them - but make sure the unit is UNPLUGGED first !!!
the cooling tower of our central air-conditioner was cleaned about three or four years ago - it's about 25 years old - and the performance increased greatly .
hope this helps .
hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:02 pm
not a window unit

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8384/dsc5645yf5.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:02 pm
perhaps this website will help - good instructions on "how to" >>>
CLEAN AIR-CONDITIONER
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:06 pm
total segue here BUT, yesterday we had our handiman check our swamp cooler, the pads were TOTALLY disintegrated and there was a garbage bag full of mineral deposits on the louvers and the floor; we have been paying every spring for the past 5 years to have it serviced and, obviously it never was. I had to buy a new pump, all new pads, new drive belt and scrape out the louvers and floor just to get it running.
0 Replies

Chumly

While yes, some here have mentioned indirectly a defective defrost cycle (cause icing) and yes some have mentioned ineffective air flow, all things being equal, on a unit as described: low refrigerant!

The best solution as I have discussed.......save your money and do not hire a maintenance-repair dude, given its age and replacement cost..... buy a new one.
0 Replies

hamburger

since it's NOT a window a/c try this one :
A/C CLEANING
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:07 pm
The coils on the inside are fairly easy to clean, if thay are easily accessable. Use a nylon bristle brush to wipe away dirt. You can get coil cleaner at many hardware stores. There are interior cleaner and exterior cleaner. Use a squirt bottle to clean as much out of the coils as you can, and then squirt the coil cleaner into the coils with a squirt bottle. Allow it to set and work before washing it off by squirting water on it.

If you can get to the outside unit, hold your hand above it while the fan runs. If you feel air above the fan, the coils are not all that dirty. If the air blows more out to the side, they are pretty dirty. It is hard to reach the coils with a squirt bottle, but if you can, squrit the coils and let them set a few minutes. Then hose them off. It would be wise to pull the emergency disconnect first, which is normally in plain sight near the unit and not reactivate until the water has had some time to run off.

If, when the A/C is running, the biggest copper line on the outside is not very cold, it likely is low on freon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:11 pm
Since you didn't describe icing, I haven't said anything about it. A restriction in the flow will sometimes cause frosting and a dirty filter, if they even installed any on the outside copper lines, can cause frosting. If the unit has lost approximately half its freon, it will ice very badly.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:12 pm
Oh.......it's not an easily replaceable in-window unit.......too bad, however I still stand by my guess of low refrigerant being the single most likely cause given its age and symptoms as described.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:13 pm
i've been told that once our unit loses it's freon , the unit will have to be replaced . apparently the service companies are no longer allowed to recharge freon units (perhaps just a ploy to get us to buy a new unit) .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:17 pm
I had one resident who allowed his coils to become excessively dirty. He complained how it ran all the time, costing him a fortune. He had plenty of freon. A good cleaning of just the interior coil, plus a clean filter, made it run like a champ. He said his bill lowered a full hundred dollars.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:18 pm
Sadly I can not afford to, nor am I allowed to.. replace the AC unit.
I live in a rented apartment with little say over what happens.

But, when i want something done, I have to do it myself.

Tomorrow, I will spend some time downstairs looking at the outside unit.
Beyond an occasional squirt with the hose, I have not yet looked into how clean it is, or whether or not the air flow is sufficient.

As for the inside coils..

Given the photograph I posted.. if it is of any help..

Do I go in to the BOTTOM to reach them? Or should I remove the entire brown casing?
0 Replies

Chumly

edgarblythe wrote:
If the unit has lost approximately half its freon, it will ice very badly.
No so, only if the defrost termination uses a timer, icing from low refrigerant is much less likely if the defrost period is based on temperature.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Our bill.. keeping it at 78/80 can be almost 200.00 for a 600 sq ft apt. Confused

wayyyy too much
0 Replies