Resumes 101

Chai

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 12:19 pm
I review a dozen to 20 resumes a week.

For the benefit of those just starting out, or are morons looking for a new job, here are some examples of what NOT to do.....

These are direct cut & pastes, with certain words changed to protect the innocent Rolling Eyes

Lesson #1

Throw a couple of periods in there friend....

Professional Synopsis:
(Job Title) with the proven ability to manage various aspects within (blank) care units assisting licensed (job title) in an assistant position that requires and exemplary work ethic and self-discipline in addition to beginning highly capable assuming and delegating responsibilitiy.

Actually, I lied, that's all I have for now, but I'm sure I'll come across more.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,154 • Replies: 23
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 12:26 pm
Hehehe --- I can relate!!

How about using a business like email address??

sexybunny@xxxxx doesn't help in any way shape or form.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 01:02 pm
Oh yeah....

people.....start an email account with your first initial, last name.

2cudly2knotluv is bad.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 01:16 pm
I also don't like the bright colored paper - silly folders, etc. But, that's just MHO. Some people think they stand out and do better. I personally want to gag when I see one.

A nice Ivory, Gray, soft green paper maybe but, no electric blue folder with matching blue font. Ugh. Black font. Bold certain items of headings, Italics a bit here and there even. No color. Okay - maybe some gray. Or blue for email or website but, THATS IT.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 04:43 pm
One thing I learned -- since I have a skill that's hard to come by, and I've been progressively doing it for years -- is to bold it on the resume.

You know

Quote:
2005 - 2007
Designed widgets by using skill

2001 - 2004
Assisted with widget design using skill

etc etc.*

* BTW I colored the words rather than bolded them in the quote only because bolding doesn't stand out in A2K quotes. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 04:45 pm
<taking notes>
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 08:28 pm
Spell check, Spell check, Spell check. Then have a friend (or two or three) who is good at English to look it over. Then, if you make any changes, spell check it again.

If English is not your first language, be especially careful with this step.

Look for sentences ending with commas and/or two periods. Look for odd capitalizations; if you use an abbreviation in the middle of a sentence Word will sometimes capitalize the word following the period.

Check dates - make sure they cover the time you are talking about. Just about all employers will say these days is that you were employed there, and the dates of your employment. What they say should match your resume.

If you haven't been in contact with your references lately, call or email to be sure it's still OK for you to use them in your resume, and that their contact information is still good.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:07 am
How not to answer a question....

I see on your profile you are currently driving to San Antonio daily, and would like to be closer to home....

Yes, I'd like to be working in Austin.
Beyond that, is there any other reason you want to leave your current employer?

No, other than the distance, I really like my job, all aspects of it.

all righty then....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:31 am
Chai wrote:

I see on your profile you are currently driving to San Antonio daily, and would like to be closer to home....

No, other than the distance, I really like my job, all aspects of it.

all righty then....

Laughing I did that once in an interview. Interviewer kept wanting to know why I wanted to work for them but I had no other answer than to get the hell out of where I was. He gave up after the umpteenth time and accepted that I didn't care where I worked, that I wanted to move back to the city where he had a job opening and they could hire me or not.

I got the job, stayed there for 12 years before moving to Chicago, and left on very good terms. I think it depends on how the applicant makes their case on that one.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:36 am
Chai wrote:

No, other than the distance, I really like my job, all aspects of it.j

all righty then....

Er...

I will admit that I'm a bit slow on catching subtext during conversation, sometimes.

Why would "I like my job but the commute is just too freaking long" be a poor answer? Moving jobs seems easier than uprooting one's family.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:01 am
I've gone through interviewing where I wasn't thrilled with the commute. It kinda depends on how you play it; you don't want to sound like a primadonna who won't drive ten minutes but at the same time if it won't work for you then it won't work for you.

One thing that is an issue re misspellings is when you put your resume online. If you really want to be found in as many computerized searches as possible, sometimes you have to use variants on key words. Some sites allow you to put that in a key word field so that your resume isn't sullied but others don't so tread carefully. Then again if you misspell Excel as Excell, you could be one of very few people who show up in those searches.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:47 am
DrewDad wrote:
Chai wrote:

No, other than the distance, I really like my job, all aspects of it.j

all righty then....

Er...

I will admit that I'm a bit slow on catching subtext during conversation, sometimes.

Why would "I like my job but the commute is just too freaking long" be a poor answer? Moving jobs seems easier than uprooting one's family.

In other words....

So, you don't have any particular passion for (highly specialized field of work you're applying for), you just want to shorten your drive.

I'm in the medical field, and what the person said would be "kind of" the equivelent of a, physician saying....I'm a cardiologist, but I have to drive all the way to San Antonio each day. You're looking for a nehprologist, right close to where I live, so I'd like to apply for that job. Same difference, right?

I'm sure in a lot of fields skillz are more interchangeable. But for many of careers, either the person needs to be specialized, or give a very good reason for wanting to make the adjustment.

In the above case, on paper she might not look a lot different than the person we are going to make a job offer to.....both candidates earned their masters a year and a half to 2 years ago....both have been working in a hospital setting since graduation.

Here was the difference.....The person getting the job said during her initial screening, during her group interview, and during the interview with her to be immediate supervior, "I did my internship while in school at one of your clinics in another state. I developed a strong desire to continue to work in this field and with this particular disease. I knew I could not qualify for a job with you until I had a year or two or clinical experience (those are state regs for that position). So, I got a job with (fill in the blank) hospital, to get the clinical experience. I fulfilled my 2 year commitment to them, and am now ready to get into get back to building my reputation in (fill in the blank).

That was way better than "I really like my job, but it's so far to drive every day."

Looking at it from the employers perspective, we're not hiring you to make your commute shorter. If that's the main reason, I'm sure someone will eventually hire you, but, unfortunately for you, it won't be with us.

We spend literally tens of thousands of dollars training and getting someone into a position. How foolish would be be to hire someone who might find an even closer job within the year?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 12:24 pm
Ah.

You were actually asking, "why do you want to come to work for us?"

That's what I'm talking about with subtext. I work with computers; IMO one of the reasons I'm good at it is that I'm nearly as literal as one.

You got the candidate that was able to decode what you were asking.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 12:53 pm
Laughing

Actually, I hope they DON'T 'decode' what I'm asking, and the right answer comes out without a hesitation.

People, given half a brain, will have heard of all the "usual" questions that get asked in an interview, and have figured out some bullshit pc reply.

I won't put a person in a embarrassing situation, but they sure do put themselves into one a lot of the time.

I think a lot of people when interviewing fall into the trap of not wanting the interviewee even come within throwing distance of being embarrassed.

It can be hard to ask some why they left their last job, and hear "Oh, well, um, there was this....well, management and I....um, well I really wanted to get into another field and I thought this company would be a great place to work.

If they seem like a pleasant person, it's uncomfortable to listen to their discomfort. It would be so easy to say "I know what you mean" or "Oh, don't worry about it" brushing it off.

That's why there are so many of these people driving their bosses crazy today.

On the other had, just recently I had a different experience.

I asked a question, and the reply.....the reply was.....magnificent....

The question wasn't expected, on either side. I didn't even know I was going to ask it. The response was organized because it was coming from the core of the person, and just how they were.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 01:01 pm
{Scribbles note: "inject non-sequiturs into next job interview."}

Laughing
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 01:02 pm
why would you have your email on there anyway.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:17 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
why would you have your email on there anyway.

because we are in the year 2008, not 1962.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:19 pm
DrewDad wrote:
{Scribbles note: "inject non-sequiturs into next job interview."}

Laughing

in other words, be yourself! :wink:

remember, never b-sharp, never b-flat, always b-natural.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:39 pm
Chai wrote:
remember, never b-sharp, never b-flat, always b-natural.

So... scare the interviewer? Wrinkled T-shirt, two-day beard, jeans tattered at the hem, and no socks....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 12:27 pm
Barefoot or besandaled?

I've had the "what's your biggest flaw" old chestnut thrown at me, and my response is usually to acknowledge that there's a standard response to it and then move onto my response. E. g. something like,
jes in an interview wrote:
Well, we all know that the standard reply is to say that you're too detail-oriented, but frankly I don't think that it's possible to be too detail-oriented in this position. This is data and it needs to be right and it needs to be what the customer -- be they internal or external -- really wants. Not just what they say they want, but what they really want. I've gotten vague requirements before, and I've even had requirements written to me on the back of a napkin, and I've found that my training and experience as an attorney makes it a lot easier to get to the heart of what's being requested. I know how to question a hostile witness, and a person who wants a report is presumably not quite so hostile (smile). As for my biggest flaw, I suppose it's my desire to get the job right, and to also plan ahead for what may be coming down the pike. I can have a lot of flaming torches in the air at the same time, and need to remind myself sometimes that there are a few things that don't need to be done right away or planned for in such minute detail.
0 Replies