Dem Superdelegate - SHOW ME THE MONEY

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 05:57 am
LOS ANGELES (AP) - What will it take for a Democratic presidential candidate to win the support of California superdelegate Steven Ybarra?

Say, $20 million.

The Democratic National Committee member doesn't parse his words when it comes to what he wants from Barack Obama or Hillary Rodham Clinton - an ironclad promise to spend that heady amount to register Mexican-American voters and get them to the polls in November.

In a telephone interview Wednesday, he said he plans to remain undecided in the tight contest until "someone shows me the money."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080507/D90H0F203.html

As far as I know, it costs NOTHING for a person to register to vote. This yahoo wants people to pay them to register?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,136 • Replies: 25
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:06 am
You got this wrong Woiyo.

No one is planning to pay people to register to vote.

Read it again... take a deep breath... and then try to say something intelligent.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:12 am
Rarely have I seen such an i-d-ten-t.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:37 am
ebrown_p wrote:
You got this wrong Woiyo.

No one is planning to pay people to register to vote.

Read it again... take a deep breath... and then try to say something intelligent.

I read it a$$hole. It is very clear to me. This clown want's someone to pony up 20M to give to someone to get them to get Mexican Americans to register to vote.

Explain to me what part you think I do not understand.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:49 am
Woiyo wrote:

Quote:

As far as I know, it costs NOTHING for a person to register to vote. This yahoo wants people to pay them to register?

There are obviously several things you don't understand.

First, a voter registration drive costs money. The money is spent for voter education, canvassing and perhaps events.

Second, this is what political parties are supposed to do. There is money that each party puts aside for voter registration. When you give money to the Republican party (or to any Republican candidate) some of it will go to voter registration.

Third, the officials of a political party have an interest in ensuring that all parts of its constituency are represented. Since political parties are private entities, this is no one elses business.

This little story doesn't say much about what Mr Ybarras is really trying to do. There is one little quote with no context.

When you claimed he wanted to "pay them to register" you clearly misunderstood.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:49 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Woiyo wrote:

Quote:

There are obviously several things you don't understand.

First, a voter registration drive costs money. The money is spent for voter education, canvassing and perhaps events.

Second, this is what political parties are supposed to do. There is money that each party puts aside for voter registration. When you give money to the Republican party (or to any Republican candidate) some of it will go to voter registration.

Third, the officials of a political party have an interest in ensuring that all parts of its constituency are represented. Since political parties are private entities, this is no one elses business.

This little story doesn't say much about what Mr Ybarras is really trying to do. There is one little quote with no context.

When you claimed he wanted to "pay them to register" you clearly misunderstood.

If you are too lazy or stupid or whatever, to register to vote, in my opinion, you should NOT vote. I find it amazing that someone would come to America, go through the pains of becoming a citizen, and not register to vote. I find it amazing that any citizen, would not register to vote.

Being independent, I have no aligience to either party. Yet, I find it somewhat troubling that political parties would "pay" people to register and THAT is where some of that 20M will go. I do recall one of the parties actually did this in low income areas. Regardless of who the party is paying, they are paying someone to get people to register to vote.

If any citizen is too stupid to register, then they should not be "bribed" into it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:55 am
Geez.....

No one tell woiyo that it costs money to register people to vote because each state has to print the forms, collect all those registrations and confirm that the people exist and live where they say the did.

For that matter no one tell woiyo that it costs money to run an election.

It's free. Everything in life is free. That's what it is.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:58 am
parados wrote:
Geez.....

No one tell woiyo that it costs money to register people to vote because each state has to print the forms, collect all those registrations and confirm that the people exist and live where they say the did.

For that matter no one tell woiyo that it costs money to run an election.

It's free. Everything in life is free. That's what it is.

When one goes to Town Hall to register, the taxpayers cover that cost.

Yet, somehow, I think you know that. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 09:32 am
woiyo,

Both parties spend millions of dollars getting people registered. They target areas that they think will vote for their party. But it seems you are not living in the real world which ebrown explained to you.

Because someone wants to target a particular area is hardly new or interesting. Nor does it PAY the person that is being registered which you keep claiming it will. It pays the cost of canvasers and mailings and a lot of people but none of the money goes to the people being registered.

Just do a google of Republican voter registration fraud and find out about how some of the Republican expenditures for voter registration resulted in crimes. Republicans pay money to register voters. Sometimes the people they pay act in a manner that is probably illegal.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:20 am
You mean stuff like this?

"All reasonable people know it -- it was well documented by various media sources throughout the 2004 election and now we have the concrete proof: Democrats and their operatives were far and away more involved in voter intimidation, fraud, suppression and, yes, disenfranchisement, than Republicans. It's not even close. But don't take our word for it liberals, read the 368-page report by the non-partisan American Center for Voting Rights yourself. "

http://www.politicalgateway.com/main/columns/read.html?col=434

and this?

" Republican voter fraud investigation likely to spread
Richmond, Virginia -- October 21, 2006

The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the investigation of a Republican voter fraud scheme in California is likely to spread. The scheme, aimed at naturalized U.S. citizens of Latino heritage, has derailed the congressional campaign of Republican Tan Nguyen and officials are investigating whether the campaigns of any other Republicans are involved.

Nguyen's scheme involved a letter, sent to 14,000 voters with Latino surnames, which claimed that naturalized U.S. citizens who attempted to vote would be jailed or deported. Thankfully the scheme was detected in time and the damage is being undone by community volunteers spreading the truth."

http://richmonddemocrat.blogspot.com/2006/10/republican-voter-fraud-investigation.html

Yep, there is your real "effing" world and you and many others tie yourselves to either one of these crime families and say I am the one out of touch?

Yet some of you think it is OK for Yabba to hold up his superdelegate vote for ransom. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:30 am
So in response to (legal) voter registration drives by Democrats designed to get more American citizens to vote...

... you bring up blatant (and illegal) voter fraud committed by Republicans designed to keep American citizens from voting?

Surely you can do better than this, Woiyo.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:42 am
I only see the Republicans there woiyo..
You might want to check out your sources before you claim they show something..
The "non partisan" American Center for Voting Rights appears to be a republican tactic not a true non partisan group..

http://www.bradblog.com/?page_id=4418
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Center_for_Voting_Rights

Yes, both sides are involved in illegal tactics. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to register voters. There are lots of groups that register voters. Most of them have a political agenda. When a Secretary of State can send out registration forms to areas that are more likely to be the party which they belong to, there has to be some way to combat it.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:42 am
ebrown_p wrote:
So in response to (legal) voter registration drives by Democrats designed to get more American citizens to vote...

... you bring up blatant (and illegal) voter fraud committed by Republicans designed to keep American citizens from voting?

Surely you can do better than this, Woiyo.

No that again is incorrect. I pointed out fraud committed by BOTH parties. You are just too brainwashed to think that only Republicans can commit fraud when in FACT both parties have been guilty of these practices. Yet, you want some stooge to hold his vote hostage (fraud?) and think it is OK.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:45 am
parados wrote:
I only see the Republicans there woiyo..
You might want to check out your sources before you claim they show something..
The "non partisan" American Center for Voting Rights appears to be a republican tactic not a true non partisan group..

http://www.bradblog.com/?page_id=4418
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Center_for_Voting_Rights

Yes, both sides are involved in illegal tactics. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to register voters. There are lots of groups that register voters. Most of them have a political agenda. When a Secretary of State can send out registration forms to areas that are more likely to be the party which they belong to, there has to be some way to combat it.

You only see Republicans because you did not read or are too brainwashed like EB to see that both crime families and their members will stoop to any level to get the uneducated or dim witted to take advantage of their most precious right. So you think it is OK to pay someone to do this for the dumb. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ebrown p

Quote:

No that again is incorrect. I pointed out fraud committed by BOTH parties.

There isn't any mention of fraud committed by Democrats in this thread.

You still don't understand that voter registration is not fraud.
0 Replies

parados

How is he committing fraud?

That is the problem that you have yet to explain woiyo.

Both parties do voter registration.
Both parties target their registration.
One man asks for a certain segment to be targeted and wants a promise before he supports a candidate.

There is no fraud involved that I can see.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:12 pm
parados wrote:

One man asks for a certain segment to be targeted and wants a promise before he supports a candidate.

Selling your vote for money is not fraud?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:22 pm
woiyo wrote:
parados wrote:

Selling your vote for money is not fraud?

Except the vote is NOT being sold for money. There is no mention of any voter getting money for their vote.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:23 pm
It was poorly worded, that's for sure.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:03 am
Ybarra is selling his vote for money.
0 Replies