Any Morel Hunters?

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:05 pm
maybe in the north but here in the flanks of the Appalachians , the old proverb is that "Morels can be found when the oak leaves are as big as a squirrels ear" ever hear that?

The season for this area is about 2 to 4 weeks tops. Think USDA region 6. I suppose if I wanted to head to N PA, I could get more , but they are a nice treat(along with buttered fiddle heads and garden asparagus (wild asaparagus is just the seeds of cultivated asparagus that has been widely distributed by bird poop).
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:50 am
Our season in the midwest lasts the entire summer for morels, as long as it is hot and humid, the asparagus will be gone shortly. I've only been tld to look under a dead oak, not just the leaves, but the entire rotted tree.

Still looking for a soup recipe.
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:53 am
islandgirl wrote:
Our season in the midwest lasts the entire summer for morels, as long as it is hot and humid, the asparagus will be gone shortly. I've only been told to look under a dead oak, not just the leaves, but the entire rotted tree.

Still looking for a soup recipe.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:31 am
Hello cjhsa. Never went for morells, but picked and cooked other mushrooms. Cowdoc was correct-morells are good any way you prepare them. A dollup of sweet butter, one hot pan. Cook to liking.
Soup: Wild mushrooms pair with a light cream base splendidly.
0 Replies