Homosexuality ? Where do you stand...

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:43 am
Re: 6Yuri9
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Better to think about what you are saying before you post, 6Yuri9.

come come ladies..

it was a joke.. Wink
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:51 am
I believe the question here is poorly stated.

Homosexuality in various forms has been around for a very long time and isn't likely to disappear anytime soon. "Not accepting it" isn't going to make it disappear; and "accepting it" isn't likely to increase the real incidence of it, so the real question here is "What do we mean by acceptance or non-acceptance of homosexuality.

Similarly love between men & men and women and women (whether sexual or otherwise) isn't going to disappear either. Neither is it regulated by either the state or any religion that I know of. Homosexual acts are indeed prohibited or condemned by many religions and I know of no movement to prohibit that by law (nor any constitutional right to do so). There is but a small residue of government prohibition or regulation of homosexual acts left in our law, and I doubt that is an issue here.

Marriage involves vows exchanged by individual people, and in many cases, the participation of some religion in the process. In all cases it also involves a contract sanctioned by the government. I don't think that there is any significant controversy about limiting (or extending) the rights of either individuals or religions in their roles hers. Homosexual individuals can cohabit and exchange personal vows without restriction already. Most religions refuse to sanction homosexual marriages, but a few do. The real question here is the state's role in the governance of that aspect of marriage.

So what the hell is the meaning and significance of the state's role in this contract??? The obvious manifestations are in the income tax code; laws regulating divorce and the settlement of property disputes attendant to it; and laws regarding the rearing of children. Not much else that I can see.

What then is the state's interest in this contract and the manifestations of state control as indicated above?? I believe it is primarily the social and economic stability and effectiveness of child-rearing in the state. Clearly all states take an interest in this aspect of life and I believe it is a legitimate one. If this is the case, then I believe this interest should dominate any discussion of or decision about how the state should approach the subject of homosexual marriage.

With this in mind, I believe a debate about "Homosexual marriage" is meaningless and without merit.
0 Replies

6Yuri9

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:07 am
ACTUALLY READ PEOPLE:

What pisses me off is that people are in search for an answer to homosexuality.

We don't need to find the cause for homosexuality because being gay or lesbian is not something that has to be justified.

The search for a gay gene itself is homophobic. Instead of just accepting the fact that some people are straight and some are lesbian, gay , or bisexual, people are searching for a cause - as if homosexuality is a disease. Nobody's looking for a heterosexual gene. nobody's trying to find a genetic cause for left-handedness, which could even be less prevalent than homosexuality and therefore even more "abnormal".Its not a big deal because left handedness like heterosexuality is considered natural... homosexuality isn't considered natural. that is why a cause is being searched for.

Still i can see how it might be tempting for people - striaght or gay - to embrace the idea. If a gay gene is discovered, then we can claim it's like being left handed. We'd be acting as nature intended and could then expect equal treatment. The gay gene might mean an end to all of the standard arguements used to block our legal rights and may be enough to persuade legislators that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is unconstitutional. Parents might not be afraid if their kids have a gay teacher, and adoption agencies might be less reluctant to let gay couples adopt kids. They wouldn't be worried that the kids are going to grow up gay because homosexuality would be natural.

BUT would that really fix anything? People might be forced to tolerate us, but it wouldn't make them accept us. What makes us think that given how cruel and punitive so many have been towards us that the gay gene won't be seen as pathological? To a lot of people we would still be mutants, just not social mutants anymore. We'd be genetic mutants. We'd be able to claim that homosexuality is no different than skin colour or left handedness but our opponents could claim that instead of a natural gene, it is a genetic defect. That doesn't do much for gay and lesbian liberation, does it ?

The question of cause should be irrelevant. If more people believed that homosexuality is as natural and normal as heterosexuality, no one would want or need to search for a cause.

Still scientists continue to hunt for a cause for homosexuality, as if being gay is something bad or defective. People are all too willing to accept this. Maybe it is because it reaffirms their own heterosexual lifestyles. If gay is bad then heterosexuality is good. If heterosexuality is the norm then anything different is abnormal. If something is abnormal then there must be a reason.

The key to ending homophobia is making people understand and accept that sex is only one aspect of being gay or lesbian. When we talk about straight relationships, the conversation is not always cenetred around sex. We talk about marriage, love, and how men are from Mars and women are from Venus. (Example =) ) Heterosexuality is socially organized and recognized as natural and normal. Gays and lesbians are social outcasts.

We need to inform the media and the society we live in that we are normal. We are not mentally retarted, it is not a psycological disorder to be gay or lesbian. Even if it is a choice we make, then fine, leave us alone. We love this person because we love them. It shouldn't make a difference what their sex is.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:28 am
shewolf, i'm not so sure about the churches.

didn't private clubs get slapped on their fingers for not accepting african americans and/or women into their ranks? i think there were some lawsuits around that...though i don't remember any details. isn't it illegal to deny services to african americans or women in churches? if it is, why should sexual minorities be treated differently?

i think churches, like private clubs, should follow the laws. in theory it sounds good if it's up to the church and parishioners to decide such things....except that the rule of the majority is rarely tolerant towards minorities. i know quite a few homosexuals who are deeply religious and a church marriage would mean the world to them. when i put myself in their shoes, i can't just waive my hand and think "big deal, just call it a civil union and stay out of church". from their shoes, it IS a big deal.

And about picking loosing fights - if we didn't, world would not evolve. someone has to do it, there is no progress without challenging existing order, especially if it's rotten and corrupt.

i won't be caught dead in any church of any sort anyway... the double if not triple, quadruple standards, are part of the reason.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:54 am
6Yuri9 wrote:
We need to inform the media and the society we live in that we are normal. We are not mentally retarted, it is not a psycological disorder to be gay or lesbian. Even if it is a choice we make, then fine, leave us alone. We love this person because we love them. It shouldn't make a difference what their sex is.

Have you ever witnessed Gay pride day in San Francisco?? My impression is that homosexual activists don't expend a lot of energy presenting themselves as "normal" or typical of very much in society - but themselves.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:01 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I will stand with Shewolf before the firing squad for my opinion.

Ban churches and the problem will go away!

BBB

WHO has the authority
to DO that ??
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:09 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

WHO has the authority
to DO that ??

Me! I know churches won't be banned but it's OK to point one's finger at the cause of the problem---isn't it? Religious dogma is the problem.

BBB
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:29 pm
6Yuri9 wrote:
The search for a gay gene itself is homophobic. .

That's only an opinion, and a bad one if you ask me.

You are discriminating researchers.

Like any other research, take the search of the flat foot gene for example, it's a perfectly valuable research.

At least for the sake of knowledge.

Now, the use people will make of that knowledge, it's completely a different matter..
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:44 pm
6Yuri9 wrote:
Nobody's looking for a heterosexual gene.

Presumably it is the same gene so a search for one automatically is a search for th either. It isn't a "homosexual gene" or "hetrosexual gene". It's a "sexual preference gene".

Quote:
nobody's trying to find a genetic cause for left-handedness, which could even be less prevalent than homosexuality and therefore even more "abnormal".Its not a big deal because left handedness like heterosexuality is considered natural... homosexuality isn't considered natural. that is why a cause is being searched for.

Nice theory but it has no basis in fact. Do a quick Google search on "Left-Handed gene research" and you'll get hundreds of articles. The first that came up for me just happened to be a story about such a supposed genetic link having been found last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6923577.stm

Quote:

Still i can see how it might be tempting for people - striaght or gay - to embrace the idea. If a gay gene is discovered, then we can claim it's like being left handed. We'd be acting as nature intended and could then expect equal treatment. The gay gene might mean an end to all of the standard arguements used to block our legal rights and may be enough to persuade legislators that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is unconstitutional. Parents might not be afraid if their kids have a gay teacher, and adoption agencies might be less reluctant to let gay couples adopt kids. They wouldn't be worried that the kids are going to grow up gay because homosexuality would be natural.

BUT would that really fix anything? People might be forced to tolerate us, but it wouldn't make them accept us. What makes us think that given how cruel and punitive so many have been towards us that the gay gene won't be seen as pathological? To a lot of people we would still be mutants, just not social mutants anymore. We'd be genetic mutants. We'd be able to claim that homosexuality is no different than skin colour or left handedness but our opponents could claim that instead of a natural gene, it is a genetic defect. That doesn't do much for gay and lesbian liberation, does it ?

It seems to me that is does but...

Quote:
The question of cause should be irrelevant. If more people believed that homosexuality is as natural and normal as heterosexuality, no one would want or need to search for a cause.

I case you hadn't noticed there is this thing going on called "The Human Genome Project". Scientists are quite busy decoding the functions of every single genetic bit of human DNA so, whether you see it as relevant or not, someone is going to stumble on it one way or another. If it is genetic, the genetic properties will be identified just as those for blonde or red hair, large or small noses, etc...

Quote:
Still scientists continue to hunt for a cause for homosexuality, as if being gay is something bad or defective. People are all too willing to accept this. Maybe it is because it reaffirms their own heterosexual lifestyles. If gay is bad then heterosexuality is good. If heterosexuality is the norm then anything different is abnormal. If something is abnormal then there must be a reason.

That's a severely limited (and, IMO, skewed) viewpoint. How do you know scientists aren't researching as if it's something good? And no, it isn't a case of "If heterosexuality is the norm then anything different is abnormal." If there is hetrosexuality and homosexuality then there is something different. And if there is something different then there must be a reason. And just like every single other difference between any two people, people will search for the reason for the difference.

Quote:

Well, at least you finally made some sense somewhere... Wink
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 02:36 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

WHO has the authority
to DO that ??

Me! I know churches won't be banned but it's OK to point one's finger at the cause of the problem---isn't it? Religious dogma is the problem.

BBB

I am 100% confident that u
have full authority to point any of your fingers
in any direction u want.

HOWEVER,
I remain extremely skeptical that u have ANY authority
to ban churches.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 03:47 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
didn't private clubs get slapped on their fingers for not accepting african americans and/or women into their ranks? i think there were some lawsuits around that...though i don't remember any details. isn't it illegal to deny services to african americans or women in churches? if it is, why should sexual minorities be treated differently?

It would be accurate to say that some private organizations were required to eliminate discrimintory policies that were based on gender and/or race but not all organizations were required to do so. There are several tests that are applied to individual cases that end up determining which way the axe falls on each. There have been other cases where the private groups were allowed to continue to discriminate. There is no set standard that applies to all private organizations.

And while a Church is required to allow women or other minorities into the building (assuming it is open to anyone that arrives at the doorsetp as a general practice) each church is allowed to determine it';s own religious practices and rituals and control it's own religious direction and organization. The Catholic Church, for example, is fully within the law when denying women the ability to become priests. All churches are given pretty wide lattitude in setting their own rules for who they will and won't perform marriage ceremonies for. No one has any legal right (in the U.S. anyway) to force any church to marry them. Any church can deny a religious marriage to anyone. In that respect, sexual minorities are treated exactly the same.

Quote:

i think churches, like private clubs, should follow the laws.

Churches are within the law.

Quote:
in theory it sounds good if it's up to the church and parishioners to decide such things....except that the rule of the majority is rarely tolerant towards minorities.

The same problem arises when the church members become the minority and the general public becomes the majority. Your concept simply reverses the siutuation of who is the minority and who is the majority. It doesn't eliminate the problem however.

That is exactly why the government's ability to interfere with religions is limited. I can't use the government to force you to accept my religious beliefs and you can't use it to force me to accept your's.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:09 pm
Homosexuality, where do I stand? What a question. The same place where I stand relative to heterosexuality. They are both simple facts of life. No "stand" need be taken as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:17 pm
In Canada same sex marriage is legal, medical marijuana is legal, and guns are much more restricted.

The US's anti-same-sex-marriage, anti-marijuana, pro-gun stance is very forked-up.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:50 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

you tell them Auntie Bee
0 Replies

6Yuri9

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:17 am
Francis wrote:
6Yuri9 wrote:
The search for a gay gene itself is homophobic. .

That's only an opinion, and a bad one if you ask me.

You are discriminating researchers.

Like any other research, take the search of the flat foot gene for example, it's a perfectly valuable research.

At least for the sake of knowledge.

Now, the use people will make of that knowledge, it's completely a different matter..

Do you really think that once a gay gene is found, homophobia wil lgo away ? NO.
People will now think that we are mutated. Then will come the day when people are forced to take blood tests and are slaughtered if they are found to be gay. I think thats what will happen.

I dont think that if a gay gene is found, society will accept us. Even though theoretically they should, in reality they won't. They will probably understand us a bit more and then proceed with genocide.

THe only research so far that has somewhat came close to homosexuality being genetic is in the X chromosome. there is an area called Xq28 which may be the cause for homosexuality. ALso the brain sizes tend to be different in size compared to heterosexual males. I need to do more research though. dont quote me on it.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:38 am
6Yuri9 wrote:
Do you really think that once a gay gene is found, homophobia wil lgo away ? NO.

You are hypothesizing the future.

Homophobia will go away with education, not only of the heterosexual but also the homosexual. It happens in Europe.

They should stop to pretend having a special status.

For example, it happens to me to deal with homosexual people.

As long as they don't try to convince me that they are special because of that, everything is ok, some are even my friends.

But when they use their way of life as a plateform for claims, then I've no sympathy..
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 08:39 am
fishin wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

It would be accurate to say that some private organizations were required to eliminate discrimintory policies that were based on gender and/or race but not all organizations were required to do so. There are several tests that are applied to individual cases that end up determining which way the axe falls on each. There have been other cases where the private groups were allowed to continue to discriminate. There is no set standard that applies to all private organizations.

And while a Church is required to allow women or other minorities into the building (assuming it is open to anyone that arrives at the doorsetp as a general practice) each church is allowed to determine it';s own religious practices and rituals and control it's own religious direction and organization. The Catholic Church, for example, is fully within the law when denying women the ability to become priests. All churches are given pretty wide lattitude in setting their own rules for who they will and won't perform marriage ceremonies for. No one has any legal right (in the U.S. anyway) to force any church to marry them. Any church can deny a religious marriage to anyone. In that respect, sexual minorities are treated exactly the same.

Quote:

Quote:
in theory it sounds good if it's up to the church and parishioners to decide such things....except that the rule of the majority is rarely tolerant towards minorities.

The same problem arises when the church members become the minority and the general public becomes the majority. Your concept simply reverses the siutuation of who is the minority and who is the majority. It doesn't eliminate the problem however.

That is exactly why the government's ability to interfere with religions is limited. I can't use the government to force you to accept my religious beliefs and you can't use it to force me to accept your's.

you are right, they are within legal bounds. many bad, unjust and outright discriminatory things are.

they are not within the spirit of human rights, but that's a realm of theory, philosophy and conscience. my conscience.

one thing i disagree with though is that non-interference is always the best policy. not so when it comes to human rights and protection of minorities... whether churches or within churches. protecting a minority that discriminates minorities within its ranks makes no sense to me. so it really is not the same thing as you're trying to say.
0 Replies

6Yuri9

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 08:45 am
Francis wrote:
6Yuri9 wrote:

You are hypothesizing the future.

Homophobia will go away with education, not only of the heterosexual but also the homosexual. It happens in Europe.

They should stop to pretend having a special status.

For example, it happens to me to deal with homosexual people.

As long as they don't try to convince me that they are special because of that, everything is ok, some are even my friends.

But when they use their way of life as a plateform for claims, then I've no sympathy..

Who said that Gay people think they themselves are SPECIAL.
We are not special. We just want to be viewed As NORMAL like heterosexuals. We will NOT be viewed as NORMAL even when a gay gene is found. People will think we are genetically mutated.

Therefore it does NOT make a difference whether or not this is a choice or a genetic factor because society will most likely never accept us 100 percent normal like everyone else.

THIS IS MY OPINION and im BASING it on previous experiences with people.

Scientists can continue to research for a gay gene but so far nothing BIG has been found. therefore it is a choice we make.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 09:04 am
dagmaraka wrote:
fishin wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

you are right, they are within legal bounds. many bad, unjust and outright discriminatory things are.

they are not within the spirit of human rights, but that's a realm of theory, philosophy and conscience. my conscience.

You don't consider articles 18 and 20 of the U.N. Charter on Human Rights as applicable to those who chose to organize as a Church?

Quote:
one thing i disagree with though is that non-interference is always the best policy. not so when it comes to human rights and protection of minorities... whether churches or within churches. protecting a minority that discriminates minorities within its ranks makes no sense to me. so it really is not the same thing as you're trying to say.

I didn't say that non-interference is always the best policy.

The issue here is one of competing rights. Group A has a right to believe as they wish and the right to peacefully gather and share their thoughts. Group B has a right not to be discriminated against. Group B doesn't have any right to force Group A to to accept them as a part of their group in violation of their own beliefs.

Government can't enforce one human right (or law) here without violating a competing right (or law) of another group at the same time. The Courts (at least those here in the U.S.) have to weigh the "compelling state interests" on both sides in determining which side's rights are going to end up being infringed upon.
0 Replies

6Yuri9

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 09:14 am
Obviously. Homosexuals can't force Churches to accept them.
But we shouldn't be prevented from getting married if we want to.
it is not right to force soemone to accept you for who you are. So i agree that churches dont need to accept us.

GOVERNMENT MARRIAGE BUILDINGS !!!! i dunno. build a place where gay people can get married ? Without the discrimination involved ?

if homosexuality is a choice, then everyone has every right to make judgements about us. As long as you don't interfere with our personal life, go ahead and judge us all you want. Just don't get violent and don't abuse us emotionally or physically. meaning: You can think to yourself how disgusting we are because we perform different types of sexual activities. But don't come and break into our house and slaughter us because of that.

Get my point ?
0 Replies